What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2024 in Review

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Shaun Johnson- F- His retirement was a year late and Webster's persistence with him was absolutely ruinous
I have to say, I've really struggled when I've read this from people on here. It's not based in reality. OK, so he's been completely ineffectual this year, but he was never retiring last year off the back of all he did. And up to the draw in round 6, no one thought he'd gone on a year too long - there is no mention of that in any game-day threads.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
OK, here's my cobbled together quick out of 10s. I probably don't agree with Meth on some, but that's cool.

CNK - 6.5. I think CNK gets a bum rap because RTS exists. I actually think he's really copped a raw deal for a guy who's shown up week to week and played his arse off. He's played 16 games but is 13th on the list of most metres gained in the NRL, would be top 5 per game average.
Montoya - 6. Low-ish skill and pace, but I think he's been really good this year. He's shown up every week and tried his arse off. One of a few to fulfill his potential.
DWZ - 3. I get so many things wrong on here but one thing I will pump myself up on, and was shouted down, is that DWZ is an awful defender. He is. Still scored 12 tries but how many more did he let in? And how did he affect the guy next to him?
Pompey - 5.5. Gets a pass, seems to shut down good players when he marks up on them, great goalkicker, if not a bit slow. Candidate for the back row in the future?
Leaitaua - 5. Think there's a gun in here, but we haven't seen enough yet. Hope he's not injury prone. Seems to go really well on both sides of the ball, good attitude.
Berry - 5. I'm a Berry fan and I still think he's going to be high NRL quality if he can stay fit. Actually forgot he existed the last few weeks.
Kosi - 3. Depth player but could be NRL quality if he had a better attitude. We don't need players like that.
RTS - 4. I don't think you can grant a pass for him, it's been easily his worst year in league, for whatever reason you choose. Feel for him that he's had to be Mr Fix It, when his quality deserves the chance to lock down a spot. No idea what the future holds
Tuaupiki - 5. Stepped in well when required, including the Panthers miracle. Not sure he's NRL quality but does a job, and has been a vital part of the NSW Cup resurgence.
CHT - 4.5. I don't think he's a pass, I just haven't seen enough. Good defender, can run the ball, but doesn't look like he'll develop into a regular starter. Wasting a bench spot for him if he can't play 9, too.
Metcalf - 4. More so because his body let him down, again. Definitely has a place in a fully functioning and firing backline. Can he team up with TMM? I hope so. Ps, he isn't a 7.
TMM - 7. I got this one wrong, completely wrote him off before Magic Round. I can't see any world where he doesn't get the whole year at 7 in 2025. Showed so much this year, and will only get better with a full year at it, which he's really never had in his NRL career.
SJ - 3. Probably generous. Not his fault his body went to the pack, but I really haven't enjoyed the hoopla over the last couple of weeks, and Webster refusing to see what we all have for ages. Classic mishandling of a star player who shouldn't have been playing.
AFB - 8.5. Would be 9.5 if he didn't dick us around mid-season. But he came back from that, and produced consistency no one thought he'd conjure up. 4th in the NRL on run metres, always bent the line, the Sharks are getting a beast. We'll miss him.
Bunty - 3. Shame that he hasn't got a regular spot, but Webster clearly doesn't rate him. Great defender, obviously not deemed to offer enough on attack
Barnett - 9. Legend. Incredible season and leadership, such a great thing that he's re-signed long-term. Massive influence to have around our younger guys + JFH coming in, too.
Egan - 4. Hurts, because I love Wayde. But he hit his peak in April, when people were calling for a NSW jumper, then by August it was more likely a NSW Cup jumper. What the hell has happened? Hasn't been running at all, and isn't effective when he doesn't. Sub-par year.
Lussick - 4. Decent depth hooker but I question the value of him on the bench when often he's there just because Egan is injury-prone. Would prefer Erin Clark to cover both.
Harris - 4. Looks cooked, which again doesn't thrill me to say. Really lost the pep in his step, body is aging, isn't that ball playing lock as he made his name as. Huge dropoff in 2 years.
Ford - 4.5. I thought about giving him a pass, but I'm not sure I can. Had some big games on effort but makes way too many errors. Probably too small to be effective, which is crazy considering he was picked at prop through the middle of the season. Should be depth.
Tevaga. 5. I'll give Jazz a pass, on heart alone. Again, like Ford, the difference between his best game and worst is too wide. Someone is getting a decent player, but we don't need him
Capewell - 4. So bizarre to give a guy 4 who played Origin. But I just didn't see it, for most of the year. I still think he'll come right, I saw signs last weekend...but this signing has not worked out at all this year. Was complete plod at times.
Walker - 6.5. Full effort guy who still has the skill. Does a lot of good work in the middle of the park. I hope we hold onto him, because we need guys like him who have ball playing ability
Niukore - 5. Such a hard one to mark. Could be a beast, and probably tires out defenses by hitting them hard, but he seems so predictable to me. Drop under, get taken to ground, play the ball, repeat. Think we need more from someone that big. Not sure we'll get it.
Ale. 3.5. Totally unsure about this guy and what we get from him. Feels like Webster has no idea whether he rates him or not, either.

Webster - 2.5. Again, hurts. Love the bloke. But really, if we're honest, it's been a horrible year of coaching. I can remember so many things that haven't worked, and that's off the top of my head without even trying: Irrational backing of SJ, moving Walker to an edge, playing Ford at prop, weird use of the bench, inconsistent use of RTS, inability to move away from a game plan that is predictable, small man style doesn't work, even starting Jazz last week on 'ceremony' when he's clearly not suited to that role.
I still back him that he's going to get better in the future, because he's a quality person. But I think he needs better mentors, people to help him, because it seems like he might be struggling for strong sounding boards that have significant experience in this competition.