What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Test, Australia V. England at Edgebaston

anjado

Juniors
Australia have been getting the rub of the green for as long as i can remember
the better side won australia did great to get back into the match
and nearly win
and the Langer decision it was proven it was hitting the stumps on hawk eye
and the jones decision was terrible i totally agree there

El Diablo

Post Whore
rub othe green for ages lol

that's bullsh*t used by losers to make them feel better about their pathetic sides gettin caned

anjado

Juniors
lol really
well that's being a bit hypocritical
considering youve been doing that ever since the test ended

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well done to the pomms

now we have a contest

only 2 runs difference without McGrath ??

fish eel

Immortal
1-1 with three to play, its all on.

Plenty of issues for both sides still though. England, still have question marks over their batting.....but we do over our attack. We probably cant afford to play MacGill without McGrath in the team in my view, because neither Kasper nor Gillespie are going well enough to support Lee in a two man pace attack.

We've also got question marks over our batting, though not in the same way the poms do. Ours is about discipline. Some very poor and lazy shots were played in the last test. That needs to be corrected.

We also have leadership issues. Aside from the decision at the toss, Punter was found wanting. I mean, what was with Brett Lee bowling with 9 men on the fence to flintoff? The Australian way is to go for the wicket, and the men on the fence arent much help when it still goes over their head!!!

I still think we'll win the series, though its going to be tight.

Timbo

Staff member
The Telegraph today says that Australia are looking at axing Kasprowicz and Katich (he must have run over Hohn's cat or something) and replacing them with Watson and MacGill for the third test.

What a horrible decision IMO, especially re:Katich.

fish eel

Immortal
Watson hey?
I'd say that means they're desperate for MacGill to play. Very tough on Katich, but he did have a poor test match.
Its interesting though, because Watson isnt with the squad anymore, he didnt make the cut for the ashes, so unless he has been drafted back into the fold with McGrath going down, I'd say he is very long odds to play.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Katich was our best batsman in the first test.

If it does happen, it will have more to do with the playing surface, methinks.

Timbo

Staff member
It's the Aussie selectors panicing thinking they need another strike bowler.

It should be Martyn that makes way for mine.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
just saw the replay of Kaspers wicket,

the ball hit his shirt on the way through to the keeper

oh well............its history now.

Doctor

Bench
fish eel said:
I'd say that means they're desperate for MacGill to play.

That's what I'm calling for. If you're bowlers are ineffective, and your batsmen aren't performing, you simply must select your best available side.

Gillespie isn't performing (averaging 80 odd with the ball), and Kasprowicz has (5 wicket haul in the tour match, and averaging 36 in the 2nd Test). Lee is performing when he gets his accuracy right (he had a fairly ordinary 2nd Test with the ball if we take away one good spell on Day Three), and there can be no question about Warne's performance (10/160 odd).

Which brings me to MacGill. If Warne is performing so well, bamboozling the English with his whizz and fizz, then I dare say they won't handle MacGill either. Stuart MacGill has equally good stats as Warne (probably better), but rarely has Australia had a vacancy (Lee and Kasper fighting off for the 4th spot) in recent years, and few times do they think they need two spinners.

Old Trafford is a traditionally spinning ground. MacGill is ready, the fast men aren't performing, and Warne is. The only end being bogged down is Warne's... bring in MacGill.

Doctor

Bench
Timbo said:
It's the Aussie selectors panicing thinking they need another strike bowler.

It should be Martyn that makes way for mine.

Timbo.... we've discussed this topic before haven't we? Do you think your dislike of Martyn has clouded your judgement. The bloke has been in incredible form in the last 18 months... he's our best performing batsmen. And you want to drop him?

His batting in the 2nd Test was lazy -- he needs a kick in the backside, not to be dropped. None of the batsmen are really performing all that well -- numbers one through to 7 need to seriously lift their game. Axing our best performing batsmen coming into this series isn't the answer.

fish eel

Immortal
the problem with playing macgill is that leaves our attack really short, because neither kasper nor gillespie are going well enough to carry a two man pace attack with brett lee.

marceeo

Juniors
Australia have got to still be favourites for a series victory. The English upper-middle order crumbles like a wet biscuit whenever someone bowls a half-decent spell. If Flintoaf/Mulletsen fail to make a score they'll struggle for 3 figures, and that's bound to happen sometime soon. Strauss' first test match encounters with a top class spinner (or did he play against Vettori - oh wait I said top class) have exposed flaws in his game, Trescothick still can't leave a wide ball. Bell wouldn't get in the Zimbab's team and Vaughan can't bat for magic beans. All the poms have are the hit-and-hope merchants in the lower middle-order and a tail that's half-decent at scratching about.

All it will take is an Aussie to get a decent 100 with some support and the inevitable innings victories will follow.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
for as long as pigeon is out i dont believe we are favourites and while our batting is going so bad then its even money at best for us.

Even getting rid of Katich I could possibly understand, HOWEVER replacing him with Watson is just embarrasing in my opinion. Lets face it Watson is an ok batsman who bowls a little bit. He will not threaten the poms at all.... look at his ODI results for clarification earlier in the summer. If Watson gets picked ill be fuming I just cant understand it . Hes not in the countrys best 15 batsman and hes not in our best 10 bowlers. He is not an ALL rounder. Look at other all rounders , Flintoff in Englands top 3-4 batsman and in their top 2 bowlers , Kallis in their top 5 bowlers and their best batsman.

Latest posts