What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Johnsy - Off to the UK

Rod

Bench
If he goes it will be ridiculous we'd be $1m below the cap if he goes.

Maybe 2008 in the UK, but I think he'll stay and 2007 will be his last year.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
the jets arent even a part of a Rooster's set up..., yes they are the feeder club, but the roosters have no PL team to call their own, and yet u critique the knights? Melon... :arrow: wall

If Melon's right, gee, we'll NEVER hear the end of it. Hopefully hes wrong :lol:. Can't see Joey going elsewhere tbh.

melon....

Coach
no.2_lukeburt said:
the jets arent even a part of a Rooster's set up..., yes they are the feeder club, but the roosters have no PL team to call their own, and yet u critique the knights? Melon... :arrow: wall
Mongo, 95% of the players fielding the Jets PL team are from Easts. They are from Flegg and PL from 2005. But you wouldnt know because you dont follow the game.

Lancelot Link

Juniors
Moffo said:
this story is a goer, had a chat to a very close source this evening

Johns may WANT to go - I can definitely see that - but I simply cannot see the Newcastle board and Brian Smith agreeing to release him from his contract.

Not for 2007 - not at this stage of proceedings with no hope now of replacing him for next season.

Unless they can sign Danny Maguire or some high profile half like that from the UK, for next season onwards, which is again - HIGHLY unlikely!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Lancelot Link said:
Johns may WANT to go - I can definitely see that - but I simply cannot see the Newcastle board and Brian Smith agreeing to release him from his contract.

If Johns wanted to leave, would they wise in forcing him to stay? As good as he is, if he didn't want to be there he wouldn't be playing his best Footy so it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Lancelot Link

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
If Johns wanted to leave, would they wise in forcing him to stay? As good as he is, if he didn't want to be there he wouldn't be playing his best Footy so it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

What do the Knights have to gain in letting him go?

Better a 'half there' Johns for them than not at all.

This 'story' smells pretty fishy to me!

TooheysNew

Coach
Ho hum.

I won't quit but...

By Barry Toohey

August 06, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

ANDREW Johns has refuted any suggestion he is considering retirement at the end of the season but has admitted he was thinking of ending his career at the Knights without the added burden of the captaincy.

"I'm playing again next season without a doubt," he said.

"Beyond that, I'm still not sure. I've signed for 2008 but I've told the Knights I will let theclub know around the middle of next year and it will probably depend on how the body feels.

"As for the captaincy, it is something I am thinking about - whether to keep doing it or handing it off to Bedsy (Danny Buderus) next year."

The game's best player also claimed:

Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi is now the premier front-rower in the game and among the top five players in the Telstra Cup.

Melbourne are the NRL's best team.

The game is now quicker and more physically demanding than ever but not as skilful.

The Knights have to find 10 per cent improvement across the board to be a serious title threat.

Best five players:

"In no particular order, my best this year are Roy Asotasi, Cameron Smith, Buderus, Mark Gasnier and Ben Kennedy.

"Asotasi is the best prop in the game at the moment. He has speed, power, footwork and is developing his ball skills and isan outstanding signing for the Rabbitohs.

"Smith has all the skills and can play hooker, halfback, five-eighth. He can kick in general play, is a top goal-kicker and is a huge influence on Storm.

"Bedsy and BK (Kennedy) are similar in that I haven't seen players with the courage, tenacity and sheer competitiveness they possess to play at the peak of their games just about every week."

Best team:

"How can you go past Melbourne, who are redefining the way teams play through their hunger and the precise way they go ahead with their business by working as one unit.

"They are near impregnable in Melbourne and in the form they have been in, it is going to take an exceptional performance from a rival team to beat them in the big games ahead."

Standard:

"David Gallop and the boys don't have too much to worry about. Maybe the skill levels have dropped a little but the game is faster and more physical than ever."

Knights:

"We started on fire but hit a rut which we are working our way out of. To win it, we'll have to find an extra 10 per cent across the board to compete with the likes of the Storm and Bulldogs down the stretch."

Own form:

"Similar to the team in many respects and I really struggled for motivation mid-season. But I'm snapping out of it after an attitude re-adjustment and looking forward to the charge to the playoffs.

"I'm not playing as well individually as I have done but I'd like to think I'm still contributing well to the team."

Brian Smith:

"I haven't spoken to Brian at all about next season yet and I haven't thought too much about it to be honest.

"But he is a great student of the game who has had a lot of success. He will come here with different ideas and I'm certain there will be things I can learn from him.

"Michael Hagan has been a great coach for the club and a great personal friend of mine and that won't change. He will be a success at Parramatta."

Captaincy:

"It is something I am thinking about tossing in. I still love the training and playing but the other stuff, the added pressure and the scrutiny which comes with being captain I could probably do without.

"I'll talk to Brian and Bedsy about it to see what they think. Maybe it is time for Bedsy to take some of the heat."

England:

"Going back to Warrington to end my career when it's all over here is a strong possibility - but it depends on how the body is. If I went over there again, it would only be to Warrington. I only played three games with them but I still keep in touch with a few of the boys."

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,20031394-5001023,00.html

Jono078

Referee
Lol, good to see him confirm he will be around next year :)

No Darren Lockyer in his top 5 players aswell..

Utey

Coach
I deadset couldnt see him playing on next year but that article tells it all.

Be very intresting...

Leagueguy

Juniors
No Darren Lockyer in his top 5 players aswell..

That's totally ridiculous. Lockyer was the the Player of the Origin Series, the Australian Captain and brilliant for the Broncos. Why wouldn't he be in the top 5 players? The only reason I can think is that Brisbane aren't in good form right now , however neither are the Knights or Manly or St George. He is an automatic selection.

I don't agree with Gasnier being there either. I heard Fitler say on NRL Deluxe that the 4 centres (King,Inglis,Cooper and Gasnier) playing in last weekends game, were the best in the NRL by a mile. What about Tate and Hodges? What more can Hodges do this year? He DOMINATED in Origin, which none of those other centres got close too. His club form has been unbelievable. No teams have contained him. Even Tate outplayed Gasnier in Origin.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Leagueguy said:
That's totally ridiculous. Lockyer was the the Player of the Origin Series, the Australian Captain and brilliant for the Broncos. Why wouldn't he be in the top 5 players?The only reason I can think is that Brisbane aren't in good form right now , however neither are the Knights or Manly or St George. He is an automatic selection.

I don't agree with Gasnier being there either. I heard Fitler say on NRL Deluxe that the 4 centres (King,Inglis,Cooper and Gasnier) playing in last weekends game, were the best in the NRL by a mile. What about Tate and Hodges? What more can Hodges do this year? He DOMINATED in Origin, which none of those other centres got close too. His club form has been unbelievable. No teams have contained him. Even Tate outplayed Gasnier in Origin.

It's called personal oppinion moron! He's entitled to his, just as you are to yours!