What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sellout at parra

colonel_123

Juniors
mickdo said:
Oh please. They won the comp last year so they still would have had plenty of 'bandwagoners' on board early in the season to prop up any average :roll:

And yet the Tigers average has gone up between round 10 (18 437) and round 20 (19 069) during which time Wests have only won 4 games including only one from their last 4...

See I can roll my eyes too. :roll:

Glenn

First Grade
So what about bandwagoners, they still bring in $$$$ to the club in ticket sales,merchandise etc.
Bandwagoners may not please everyone with their "support", but in terms of revenue I can't imagine people complaining.

Stranger

Coach
booeycollector said:
What does Energy Australia hold?. I'm talking bodies as it would be twice as many heads.
Nice call, did your parents ever ask you to run away?
26.5 or there abouts btw.

Well our average this year is down 3,000 on last year where as your average this year is up 3,000 on last year. Now apart from the fact that the fortunes of both teams have been reversed what other conclusion are you capable of drawing from those facts
Got proof of these statistics?
Now go back a year and you will have a look at the fact that in 2005 our averages were higher than 2004, despite winning the spoon in 2005...

CrazyEel

Bench

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the difficulty some NRl clubs have in attracting decent crowds I would have thought everybody would be more than welcome, band waggoners or not?

CrazyEel

Bench
Your point being? I simply stated the crowds of both teams this year were a mirror reversal of 3,000 which you questioned so I simply gave you what you asked for.

If you want further analysis you will have to wait till the end of season as you may note from the figures I supplied we have only had 8 home games this year and there is the distinct possibility our average will improve significantly over the last few rounds. Just like your unbeaten run towards the end of last year significantly boosted your averages when all the bandwagoners jumped back on board, but I'm sure you can find the proof for that yourself now though.

Very topical at the moment...

http://http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/tigers-supporters-loyal-roosters-fans-lose-faith/2006/07/28/1153816383998.html

Tigers supporters stay loyal as Roosters fans lose faith

nrlcrowds_gr_wideweb__470x340,0.jpg

July 29, 2006

WESTS Tigers supporters are eternal optimists while crowd figures suggest many Sydney Roosters fans have been fair-weather friends.
While the announcement of attendance statistics at NRL games often provoke the response of "I'd like to have that guy sell me carpet", the figures also show that only four clubs' numbers are up on last year.
These include the premiership-winning Tigers, whose crowds are up by 1.5 per cent and are on average even higher in round 20 (19,069) than they were in round 10 (18,437).
For the fans, at least, the title defence is still alive, even if the Tigers have lost four of their past five matches to be 12th.
The other clubs to have lifted attendances despite the wettest winter since the early 1990s are Newcastle (up 15.5 per cent), competition leaders Melbourne (13 per) and St George Illawarra (3.8 per cent).
Roosters crowds have plummeted by 25.2 per cent compared with 2005, from an average of 16,057 in 2005 to 12,016 after round 20 this year as the struggling side misses a finals spot for the second straight year.
The Roosters' biggest crowd, 21,246, was against Brisbane in round six, and their poorest, 6806, against the New Zealand Warriors in round 14 - the traditional turnout of Bondi's expat Kiwis failing to materialise.
It seems New Zealanders are staying away from the Warriors, docked four competition points for salary cap breaches, with the team's attendances down 29.6 per cent on last year.
The Warriors averaged 13,101 in 2005, reduced to 9218 this year, which includes 6240 against Newcastle in round 15.
Penrith are the other big losers, support dropping by 25.8 per cent from an average of 15,576 last year to 11,565, although their lowest figure, 7017 against Melbourne in round six, was posted at Adelaide's Hindmarsh Stadium.
Speaking about the return of Monday night matches next year, NRL chief executive David Gallop said last week it was early days to be worrying about the overall drop in supporters numbers of about 10 per cent.
And he may have been right with last weekend's average crowd of 16,414 up on the season average of 15,132 and five out of the seven home sides bettering their 2006 averages.
But there should be plenty of spare seats when South Sydney and Canberra meet at the 80,000-capacity Telstra Stadium tonight, the last-placed Rabbitohs attendances have dipped 4.7 per cent since the move from Aussie Stadium and the Raiders' down 16.3 per cent.
AAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cainen

Juniors
Just to defend the Penrith figure a bit (we do have a hell of a lot of fickle supporters though) we've been running at a reduced capacity, a game in Adelaide and had a few freezing cold and wet Saturday night games lately.

Stranger

Coach
CrazyEel said:
Your point being? I simply stated the crowds of both teams this year were a mirror reversal of 3,000 which you questioned so I simply gave you what you asked for.

My point being was that Parramatta has probably probably the most fickle fans in the NRL, something that the last few weeks has given more than enough evidence to prove. Instead of 'trying' to discredit it, prove that I'm wrong.

CrazyEel said:
If you want further analysis you will have to wait till the end of season as you may note from the figures I supplied we have only had 8 home games this year and there is the distinct possibility our average will improve significantly over the last few rounds.
Only if Parramatta keep winning, which was what i was stating from the beginning.

CrazyEel said:
Just like your unbeaten run to wards the end of last year significantly boosted your averages when all the band wagoners jumped back on board, but I'm sure you can find the proof for that yourself now though.
We managed to get 18k+ to 4 home games out of 7 before we chalked up our first win. As a matter of fact, Newcastle's current average is the 2nd best it has been since we entered the competition, second only to 1990. And for the newcastle bandwagon? Last year we copped the spoon, yet our average had been the highest it had been since 2002.
No doubt we have a bandwagon as does every side, but the fact is there to be seen, that when it comes to fickle fans, parramatta are right up there... 7140 people to a game for a team with as many fans as parramatta is crap.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Update on the crowd

Currently only about 5,000 tickets left and the Eels are expecting a walk up of 5,000-7,000

CrazyEel

Bench
Stranger said:
No doubt we have a bandwagon as does every side.
Pleased you finally acknowledge the only point I was making.

Stranger said:
when it comes to fickle fans, parramatta are right up there...
True, and you can't show me where I have ever stated otherwise.

Was simply pointing out we are not alone nor the worst in that category as the article in TV Ted's post demonstrates.

Raider_69

Post Whore
parra fans, dont get much fickled then that
i used to work with a bloke earlier this year (got sacked recently for taking holidays, cheers johnny!) that was a parra fan, all week id put up with him bitching and moaning about how bad parra are and he'd come up with cleaver little puns to describe how bad they were, he lived 20 minutes from the ground and refused to go to a game because "its a waste of money", yet i can garentee you he'll be one of the people packing out parra stadium this week professing how he's a loyal old supporter... fickled fans!

sunny

like i told yas all before, wait until souths finally vaguely resemble a contender. then you'll see fickle fans and bandwagoners par excellence.

sunny said:
like i told yas all before, wait until souths finally vaguely resemble a contender. then you'll see fickle fans and bandwagoners par excellence.

Conversely, wait until the dogs suffer a 17 year stretch of abjection. Notwithstanding that your club has endured countless off-field scandals, at least you know that any lull in performance is unlikely to last more than a season.

It amazes me that supporters of clubs that are perenial achievers have the gall to disparage fans of sh*thouse clubs for being indifferent in their support.

mattyg

Bench
look at the bulldogs crowds last year. We were going sh*thouse and managed over 18k per game, and this year we have seen a drop and we are going good. Guess that proves we don't have a bandwagon.

Stranger

Coach
mattyg said:
look at the bulldogs crowds last year. We were going sh*thouse and managed over 18k per game, and this year we have seen a drop and we are going good. Guess that proves we don't have a bandwagon.

Dogs v Penneys rd 25 ground SA - 10.5k
Dogs V New Rd 22 ground SA - 14k
Dogs V Broncs Rd 20 - ground SA - 29k
Dogs v Melb Rd 17 - ground SA - 7k
Dogs V canberra rd 15 - ground SA - 8.5k

thats home games from round 15, i think dogs were just lucky they had a few Huge crowds to really boost their average, like round 1 verse the dragons and 20 v broncs.

mattyg said:

hahahahaha

You are comparing one bad year at Canterbury to the 15years of unremitting misery that Souths fans have endured?

Don't forget that the Bulldogs were reigning premiers in 2005. As a Tigers fan I know how this mantle boosts crowd support in spite of poor on-field performances. ie new fans, favourable scheduling- plenty of friday night and sunday free-to-air games = brilliant exposure.

Look at the figures posted by Stranger. He overlooked Canterbury v Souths @ Showground 8911. Every Sydney side has a vast population of fairweather supporters.

Latest posts