What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

The Manly Sea Eagles are reportedly looking to build a coaching dream team to assist Anthony Seibold in 2023.

Seibold is the front-runner to take the Sea Eagles job, and while the club are yet to make an official announcement, it's believed the deal is as good as done.

Seibold has a friendship with club chairman Scott Penn, having previously served as an assistant coach before landing his first head coaching role at the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The coach has been out of the game since being let go by the Brisbane Broncos, and has since worked in rugby union - something that is likely to delay him from arriving on the Northern Beaches should the deal be done.

Regardless, The Daily Telegraph are now reporting that attention has turned to confirming Seibold's staff, with a shock name in England rugby union coach Eddie Jones set to join Shane Flanagan and Laurie Daley.

Jones has previously admitted he would be open to an NRL job, although it's unclear if he would leave his current post, where he is contracted until the end of the 2023 Rugby World Cup. Jones has, however, confirmed he will step down from his England role after that tournament.

It's believed a number of roles are potentially being discussed for Jones, ranging from part-time advisor to head of football.

It's understood Daley could be used in a similar role by Manly, with the duo both on a hitlist for the Sea Eagles as they build a revamped staff to work with Seibold.

The club have touted changes, with Scott Penn saying last week before Des Hasler's sacking that the roster should in the premiership hunt, and that a football department to match was needed.

Shane Flanagan, it's understood, would be considered for an out-and-out assistant coach role. He is the director of football for Papua New Guinea at the Rugby League World Cup, and holds a recruitment consultancy role for the St George Illawarra Dragons in the NRL, but has made no secret of his desire to return as an NRL coach in the future.

offiah

Juniors
At least Flanagan has shown he can coach a team to a premiership.

We’ll wait till there’s no other options left and they’ll tell us Dean Young is the best available coach on the market, and voy does he bleed red n white. Just like we waited till September, October to sign anyone for 23 and said there’s no good players available to sign for 23. There was almost a year ago when other clubs were planning their rosters. Reed Mahoney might have been good for us if we had any kind of plan or strategy. Instead we get the spooners rejects.

It’s embarrassing how amateur this place is, they really make it so hard to keep believing we’ll ever be successful again. 🤦🏽

Dragon David

First Grade
i have never liked this bloke at our club especially in the role he is in, there has been nothing but drama with juniors or our ability to sign anyone decent since his arrival into this role, plus he did stuff all as AC
I have now reached the stage of having to say that following the Dragons and the dramas we have had for more than 10 years has now taken its toll on me. Ever since we won the premiership in 2010, us fans have taken a hell of a lot of "emotional strain" from poor to average performances in most of the the years since then. These performances together with poor overall coaching and recruitment is resulting in the growing apathy towards our club.

We are now being compared to the Wests Tigers. I have several mates who have followed the Tigers for as long as I have been following the Dragons and they have lost a lot of interest in watching games and talking about their club and just shake their heads.

We as fans have been giving so many views and information on a host of topics over years and years positively and negatively on this Forum. All trying to come up with reasons, solutions and possible outcomes and now to me everything seems an impossibility for the club to become a powerhouse with the current situation. I can see that it will be taking a very long time for the club to be anywhere near a powerhouse and in the meantime we will continue to put up with and complain about all the wrongs going on.

Shane Flanagan, Anthony Griffin, Craig Young, The BOD, Players, Management all in the too hard basket for me.

Please wake me up when it is all over.

Qdf

Juniors
With Flanagan now being linked to the Sea Eagles, time to get rid of him. How can he be trusted with signing players and looking after our juniors if he is actively seeking roles at other clubs.
Yes the place stinks to high heaven. This Board reeks of incompetence. They are the laughing stock of the NRL. ONLY the joke is on us.

Dragon David

First Grade
With Flanagan now being linked to the Sea Eagles, time to get rid of him. How can he be trusted with signing players and looking after our juniors if he is actively seeking roles at other clubs.
To me the Dragon's ship has sunk further in the mire with Flanagan being at the club in 2020 and 2022. Maybe with the possibility of him joining Manly as an assistant, he will bring them down further as well!

TruSaint

Referee

Interesting isn't it.
We've kept this guy on the payroll and many wanted him as head coach.
There is no way the Scott Penn just got rid of Dez without having a target already set up.
Hasler is head and shoulders above a guy who won one premiership in between years of scandal.
Dubious at best.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have now reached the stage of having to say that following the Dragons and the dramas we have had for more than 10 years has now taken its toll on me. Ever since we won the premiership in 2010, us fans have taken a hell of a lot of "emotional strain" from poor to average performances in most of the the years since then. These performances together with poor overall coaching and recruitment is resulting in the growing apathy towards our club.

We are now being compared to the Wests Tigers. I have several mates who have followed the Tigers for as long as I have been following the Dragons and they have lost a lot of interest in watching games and talking about their club and just shake their heads.

We as fans have been giving so many views and information on a host of topics over years and years positively and negatively on this Forum. All trying to come up with reasons, solutions and possible outcomes and now to me everything seems an impossibility for the club to become a powerhouse with the current situation. I can see that it will be taking a very long time for the club to be anywhere near a powerhouse and in the meantime we will continue to put up with and complain about all the wrongs going on.

Shane Flanagan, Anthony Griffin, Craig Young, The BOD, Players, Management all in the too hard basket for me.

Please wake me up when it is all over.
Good post D.D , the trouble is that chaps our age will more than likely be playing touch footy in the suburbs of the Pearly Gates before that happens . 😳

justadragon

Bench
With the drums beating louder after comments by Cooper and Burgess, Flanagan could be in the box seat. My reasoning being is that to bring somebody else in they would want their own coaching staff. With new support staff signed already, the last thing the club would want is to pay them out on top of Hooks payout.
Tend to agree with you but I think they will give him possibly the first 6 matches next year then pull the pin if it doesn't go well. I dont know what our first few matches are but if they are against top 8 sides there might be a bit of squirming done by Hook.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I hope Flanno gets the assistant coaching job at Manly as rumoured and we can close the door on him!
We have enough culture problems without introducing him as a possible fix as head coach.

I feel he’s permanently tainted within club land and may only be trusted in a assistant capacity.

hewi

Bench
Gooooone

Manly are reportedly set to table Anthony Seibold a long-term offer to replace Des Hasler, while Shane Flanagan will work as his assistant.

The Sea Eagles will offer Seibold a three-year contract and Flanagan has ‘agreed to terms’ on a deal, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

The club are especially keen to get Flanagan to Brookvale in case Seibold honours his commitment to help England prepare for the Rugby World Cup next year.

Latest posts