What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
After this Panthers kick early trap Manly in their end DCE kicks out on our 40. We go down and get a repeat set with the overturned drop out off Tom Turbo. Next set the Peachy try. Manly kick off push RCG in goal. During their set T-POW throws a dodgy ball behind his players ruining their set and DCE puts a bomb that DWZ defuses and we go to the 40m Cleary kicks down field and Uate fumbles and Cartwright scores. Manly got screwed by themselves.

However, the entire game changes if the Walker non try, which many, many people debate as to whether it was or wasn't the correct decision, was given as a try (and yes, we all know your opinion on that one).
Manly would have been up 16-10 and playing a different game, as would have the Panthers, as the Panthers would have been playing catch up.

It's all a moot point anyway, as nobody at all can predict what may have happened if the Walker one was allowed. Manly could have scored on their next 4 possessions. They could have knocked the ball on from the kick off. They could have had an all in brawl and 7 players from each team sent off. We will never know.

What I do know though is that there is clearly something terribly wrong with this game if all the talk on a Monday is about the bunker, and refereeing decisions. The AFL is cruising along on the back of fairytales (Tigers, Swans), and literal last kick wins (Eagles), as well as monster crowds. Whilst the NRL has the bunker, and Toddy issuing fines.

The_Shield

Juniors
If Lachlan Coote (wearing #1) was in fact called 'offside' in that play by anyone, I fear they need to go and get their head checked mate.

643A50B6-1BE8-4CF7-BBA7-E504AE208AD4_zpszsk7t3ri.jpg
That picture right there puts this argument to bed. Clearly the right call to send Maloney to the bin. There's absolutely no way you can argue otherwise. Someone should send that to Flanagan

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not often I praise Todd but on this occasion he is 100% correct. Take a look in the mirror losing teams.

Reactions: Vee

OldPanther

Coach
However, the entire game changes if the Walker non try, which many, many people debate as to whether it was or wasn't the correct decision, was given as a try (and yes, we all know your opinion on that one).
Manly would have been up 16-10 and playing a different game, as would have the Panthers, as the Panthers would have been playing catch up.

It's all a moot point anyway, as nobody at all can predict what may have happened if the Walker one was allowed. Manly could have scored on their next 4 possessions. They could have knocked the ball on from the kick off. They could have had an all in brawl and 7 players from each team sent off. We will never know.

What I do know though is that there is clearly something terribly wrong with this game if all the talk on a Monday is about the bunker, and refereeing decisions. The AFL is cruising along on the back of fairytales (Tigers, Swans), and literal last kick wins (Eagles), as well as monster crowds. Whilst the NRL has the bunker, and Toddy issuing fines.

I haven't spoken about the Walker no try. Others have disputed it and pointed out how having that line on the screen is inaccurate.

I completely agree with your last paragraph. We should be talking about how epic the football was but the games themselves won't rate a mention.

Eion

First Grade
That picture right there puts this argument to bed. Clearly the right call to send Maloney to the bin. There's absolutely no way you can argue otherwise. Someone should send that to Flanagan
You did see the ball go straight to val didn't you. He was 0 chance of scoring. Penalty fair enough, bin a nonsense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You did see the ball go straight to val didn't you. He was 0 chance of scoring. Penalty fair enough, bin a nonsense.

Deliberate foul in the act of chasing a potential try, no problem with a binning for cheating in this circumstance. In fact given how prevalent we are seeing teams give away deliberate penalties inside the 10 I'd be happy to see more of it until they get the message. It was professional foul as much as laying on after a break.

Eion

First Grade
Deliberate foul in the act of chasing a potential try, no problem with a binning for cheating in this circumstance. In fact given how prevalent we are seeing teams give away deliberate penalties inside the 10 I'd be happy to see more of it until they get the message. It was professional foul as much as laying on after a break.
Great, a shame the cows didn't get the same treatment. Look forward to the binning in the gf

Perth Red

Post Whore
So its the consistency you have a problem with rather than the punishment for the offence. Fair enough but doesn't mean he shouldn't have been binned for a professional foul.

Eion

First Grade
So its the consistency you have a problem with rather than the punishment for the offence. Fair enough but doesn't mean he shouldn't have been binned for a professional foul.
It's all about consistency, and we all know what will happen next week with players taken off the ball. They couldn't even be consistent in 1 game.

Life's Good

Coach
Well done Todd. Having the gumption to stand up to the coaches and also put the refs on notice.
All that was missing from his reply was ' I also accept that I am incapable of fixing this mess and tender my resignation. I will remain in the role until a suitable candidate is found or Cam Smith makes himself available.

The_Shield

Juniors
No I didn't see that. Ethan Lowe was a great chance of getting to that ball, he was a lot closer to it then the Sharks player that got it. Maloney knew it too and that's why he tackled him

JamesRustle

First Grade
If Lachlan Coote (wearing #1) was in fact called 'offside' in that play by anyone, I fear they need to go and get their head checked mate.

643A50B6-1BE8-4CF7-BBA7-E504AE208AD4_zpszsk7t3ri.jpg
Even though Flange told us Lukey Lewis is the most honest, god fearing player to strap on a boot and wpuld never do anything against anyone... I think the touchie was calling Lewis for being offside.

King hit

Coach
On Greenbur's response I think he is a merkin but he does make a good point imo. All of this ref blaming for any loss is a poor example for everyone and it just teaches young kids learning the game if it doesn't go your way just throw a tantrum and blame everyone else for it. I thought the refs were fair game yesterday, both teams got 50/50 decisions with the tries but the Sharks could've won the game and they didn't. Manly could've won as well but couldn't land the killer blow.

Just wish people would see the failures of their own team without laying it completely at someone else.

Latest posts