What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

dannyt

Coach
I think what pisses me off the most is that they're all over the frigging place. For 5 years they jumped on anyone not playing the ball correctly, now they don't. They jumped on players not getting to their feet before playing the ball, now they don't. Tripping has been an automatic send-off since I was a kid in the 1960's, now it's a penalty and a small fine. They call players by name and that should never, ever have been allowed. And that's just a few of the things that piss me off these days.

Get rid of the people running the refs and start again.
The constant wrestling has made the ruck an absolute mess, so they are lenient on anything that speeds it up, such as not playing it properly.

Occasionally they also come down hard on tactics to slow the play the ball, such as hand on the ball.

The biggest problem is consistency.

You can have offences penalised early in the game are let go at end of games. Offences may be penalised at any point of the season, then not policed at other times of the season.

Spot On

Coach
Same thing as it always is. A wankfest attention seek with no positive or lasting outcomes.

Well I'll start to applaud Toddy when he actually starts to clean the game up and improve the standard across the board. It would seem the players are putting in.

Maybe Maloney's dig at the heirachy was spot on. Coincidentally, that was the last tantrum Toddy had publicly.

Since then he given the green light for Cam and Jono to get a fundraiser next season to top up their retirement funds. That's done a hell of a lot to fix the game up. Just perpetuates the inconsistencies.

Reactions: Vee

TheVelourFog

First Grade
we would be talking about the great football if it wasn't for some Manly and Sharks fans

A 7 tackle try is a monumental f**k-up to complain loudly about

whether a player was a bee's dick in front of a kicker or a gnats twat behind is not

The_Shield

Juniors
A second after the ball was kicked. He was no chance to get it. Anyone with half a brain knows this.
He was every chance of getting it. He was closer then the Sharks players were. Leutele (who got the ball) was turning to chase, Valentine Holmes was next to the goal posts and Feki was near the sideline. Lowe is running onto it and most likely gets to it if Maloney doesn't tackle him

Generalzod

Immortal
Well done Todd. Having the gumption to stand up to the coaches and also put the refs on notice.
All that was missing from his reply was ' I also accept that I am incapable of fixing this mess and tender my resignation. I will remain in the role until a suitable candidate is found or Cam Smith makes himself available.
You honestly think it's the coaches that are making the game look bad? Personally I think the refs are doing it on their own.

Eion

First Grade
He was every chance of getting it. He was closer then the Sharks players were. Leutele (who got the ball) was turning to chase, Valentine Holmes was next to the goal posts and Feki was near the sideline. Lowe is running onto it and most likely gets to it if Maloney doesn't tackle him
Nup, not even close

Eion

First Grade
we would be talking about the great football if it wasn't for some Manly and Sharks fans

A 7 tackle try is a monumental f**k-up to complain loudly about

whether a player was a bee's dick in front of a kicker or a gnats twat behind is not
Yep and JT banged on about conspiracy theories for years. Give us a week to whinge and we'll go onto the next Greenberg cluster.

Sphagnum

Coach
The constant wrestling has made the ruck an absolute mess, so they are lenient on anything that speeds it up, such as not playing it properly.

Occasionally they also come down hard on tactics to slow the play the ball, such as hand on the ball.

The biggest problem is consistency.

You can have offences penalised early in the game are let go at end of games. Offences may be penalised at any point of the season, then not policed at other times of the season.

This is the crux of the issue imo. They are not consistent at all to the point where the referee can make a different interpretation of the same situation occurring within minutes of each other.

That is a huge integrity concern that the referees boss needs to thoroughly address. Don't referee teams or individual players differently. The rules are black and white, everyone must follow them.

If the refs were consistent then the complaining would just be hot air because everyone cops the same.

Make the referees explain their inconsistencies post match in some forum and let's see how much they tighten up.

At the moment they can do what they like and there is no accountability. Their boss and his boss will run cover for them and nobody is allowed to ask question under threat of significant penalty.

Once you jump into bed with all the betting agencies you must have stringent measures in place to protect the games integrity. As it sits, a single referee can determine the outcome of a match and still be there next week to do it again

That is wrong.

typicalfan

Coach
But by and large everyone does cop the same. Except for howlers teams get good calls and bad calls and usually good teams defend bad calls better. The real problem is video errors where there is not as much of an excuse. Shane was just having a classless rant when his own side put themselves in a position to lose the game and they did.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Yep and JT banged on about conspiracy theories for years. Give us a week to whinge and we'll go onto the next Greenberg cluster.

Lol

I'm sure next Sunday sharks fans and indeed the sharks as an organisation will never mention the reffing in the game on the weekend again

butchmcdick

Post Whore
This is the crux of the issue imo. They are not consistent at all to the point where the referee can make a different interpretation of the same situation occurring within minutes of each other.

That is a huge integrity concern that the referees boss needs to thoroughly address. Don't referee teams or individual players differently. The rules are black and white, everyone must follow them.

If the refs were consistent then the complaining would just be hot air because everyone cops the same.

Make the referees explain their inconsistencies post match in some forum and let's see how much they tighten up.

At the moment they can do what they like and there is no accountability. Their boss and his boss will run cover for them and nobody is allowed to ask question under threat of significant penalty.

Once you jump into bed with all the betting agencies you must have stringent measures in place to protect the games integrity. As it sits, a single referee can determine the outcome of a match and still be there next week to do it again

That is wrong.

So how do you see this working ?

Reporter ; why did you decided to rule that way

Ref' that's the way I saw it

Reporter' really ?

Ref' yes

SharkShocked

Bench

JT didn't just bang on about conspiracies he flat out called them bias.

And got away with it..

Precedent?

Life's Good

Coach
You honestly think it's the coaches that are making the game look bad? Personally I think the refs are doing it on their own.
That I definitely disagree with. Coaches are part of the problem. Refs/bunker play their part with inconsistencies that poison some games. Then throw the players in who simply do dumb sh*t(running kick chasers off the ball, trying to play the ball on their knees etc etc) and it all adds up to a big sh*t fight where everyone claims it's someone else's fault.

Eion

First Grade
And I see now, right on cue, it's being reported the fines for baz and flanno will be heftier than usual. 47 texes Ricky will be pleased!

This mob is so predictable and useless it really is amazing.

Craigshark

First Grade

Tackle him? What were you watching? Haha

Latest posts