What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Watson Appreciation Thread

lockyno1

Post Whore
5 days is fine then isn't it. He did it on friday, that is 6 days. He'll be sweet if it is a grade 1.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Actually i didn't think of that! Have 5 bats plus gilcrist and have Clark and one of Tait or Johnson!

Red Bear

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Actually i didn't think of that! Have 5 bats plus gilcrist and have Clark and one of Tait or Johnson!
yeah, i'd rather that over picking watson anway, lee n warne can do the job.

However clarke is back in the squad, thank f**k its not Symonds.

lockyno1

Post Whore
GoTheBears said:
yeah, i'd rather that over picking watson anway, lee n warne can do the job.

A extra bowler> clarke's usual 20! 5 bowlers and you are right, lee and warne are no bunnies with the bat and clark and Tait are pretty good as well.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Look I know he was s..t in the Ashes. But 2 fifties and a highest of 68 n.o suggest he can bat pretty well down the order.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Against Mills, Tuffey, etc. Barely counts! Even Clarke got a hundred! That is how bad the bowling was. Yes it is still a fifty, but Tait already has 2 of them!

Sanchez

Coach
if there is a 4 pace attack the batting line up would be

7 Warne
8 Lee
9 McGrath
10 Clark
11 Tait/Johnson

lockyno1

Post Whore
No way that would be the lineup!

7. Warne
8. Lee
9. Clark
10. Tait/Johnson
11. Mcgrath (only way he bats 10 is if Magill is in the side, 9 is absolutely ridiculous)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wonder boy to the rescue

Clarke gets Ashes call-up

Middle-order batsman Michael Clarke has been added to the Australian squad for next week's first Ashes Test against England as cover for injured all-rounder Shane Watson.

Clarke was overlooked when the Australian selectors named their 13-man squad on Thursday but was called up after Queensland's Watson injured his hamstring in the one-day loss to Western Australia on Friday.

Watson will be assessed by Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris when he arrives in Brisbane later today. A decision on his availability is expected to be made on Sunday.

Kountouris will also examine Damien Martyn, who was forced to pull out of the Warriors-Bulls clash with an elbow injury.

Clarke will play for New South Wales in tomorrow's one-dayer against Tasmania and is then expected to join the rest of the Australian squad in Brisbane.

Clarke's inclusion indicates that selectors may opt for an extra batsman if they lose all-rounder Watson.

Playing an extra batsman could also have further ramifications for which of the three contending fast bowlers - Stuart Clark, Shaun Tait and Mitchell Johnson - makes the final side.

If Australia plays only four bowlers instead of the five Watson would provide, the selectors might decide to choose a paceman who can bowl a lot of overs, which may favour Clark over speedsters Tait and Johnson.

Clarke, 25, played all five Ashes Tests last year, and scored 335 runs at 37.22.

He lost his place in the Test team last summer and regained it in Bangladesh in April, although he failed to seal his spot with scores of 19, 9 and 23 not out.

Clarke looked in good touch against England for New South Wales in Sydney a week ago, when he made 50 and 68.

-Reuters/ABC/AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200611/s1791833.htm

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
i read in the news that Watson said "I cried"

he was inconsolable in the dressing rooms.

what a f**king pansy

pogo

Juniors
i read in the news that Watson said "I cried"

he was inconsolable in the dressing rooms.

what a f**king pansy

maybe he was just depressed.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pup must play, say greats

November 19, 2006

AUSTRALIA Test greats have urged selectors to play batsman Michael Clarke in Thursday's first Ashes Test, even if all rounder Shane Watson is fit to face England.

The New South Wales right hander has been called into the squad as cover for Watson, who is in doubt after injuring a hamstring while bowling in a domestic one-dayer on Friday.

But former Test captain Ian Chappell believes the selectors have erred in picking Watson in the first place and Clarke is the better option.

"I really don't count Watson's bowling as sufficient enough to put him ahead of Clarke," Chappell told a Sydney Sunday newspaper.

"I really think that you're talking about two batsmen here and, if you're picking a batsman then, to me, Michael Clarke is the better option."

Another former Test batsman, Doug Walters, wants selectors to pick Clarke and abort their quest to find an all rounder answer to England's Andrew Flintoff.

"They should go for the bloke who should have been there in the first place," said Walters of Clarke's claims for the No.6 batting spot.

"He hasn't done too badly given the limited opportunities he's had."

Walters said Australia's ageing batting line-up needs an injection of youth, and Clarke needs to be fast-tracked back into the side.

"We're going to be looking for some batsmen in six months and they're going to have to call him in then," he said.

"Why not get him in now? Why wait six months? He's 25 and you can't keep calling up 35-year-old blokes to replace 38-year-olds."

Former Test opener Michael Slater said Clarke, who averages 36.23 in Tests and has not scored a century in his past 25 Test innings, deserves another chance.

"I must admit I'd love to see Clarkey get a go. I'm a huge fan of his," he said.

"I think he should be in the Test side. But it seems they regard him as a No.6 and they've been looking for an all rounder in that spot."

Former Test skipper Steve Waugh is adamant Clarke would fire if given a reprieve, but is concerned about his limited first-class preparation.

It is two years since Clarke hammered his second, and last, hundred for Australia - a blistering 141 against New Zealand at the Gabba.

"If they want a batsman, it has to be Michael Clarke," said Waugh. "He's done what the selectors have asked of him - to go back and score runs."

Agence France-Presse

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20784306-23212,00.html

lockyno1

Post Whore
Well Chappelli and Walters must have had a few too many beers! Clarke has a ordinary FC and test record. I can see exactly why he isn't in the side!

Latest posts