What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Watson Appreciation Thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
lockyno1 said:
He plays too many rash shots, simple as that. Plus he is extremely prone to a nick as he jumps around his crease a heck of a lot. His shot selection is extremely poor though. He should look at the way Hussey bats in tests. Forget about hitting boundaries until you have 30 or so and then start to play the bigger shots.

thats more to do with shot selection rather than batting technique

I'v never seen him jump around at the crease,

he has a fairley sound technique, especialy with his defence, feet hands head all in a vertical line, unlike alot of others

he has a huge problem with shot selection and that where he needs to matue imo

aussies1st

Staff member
His technique is one of the best going around. Just his shot selection which is easily fixed with more experience but his technique is not the problem.

JJ

Immortal
aussies1st said:
Just his shot selection which is easily fixed with more experience

yup - it's his shot selection and temperament that are the problem - but I am not so sure that they are "easily fixed". There have been numerous cricketers of immense talent that haven't thrived as much as they should at test level because of exactly the same issue... time will tell.

Also, it's not like Michael Clarke is exactly an inexperienced cricketer any more.

A possible solution could be to remove him from the ODI team (perhaps after the world-cup), and get him to really concentrate on tightening up... he's a wonderful ODI cricketer, but there's a lot for him to prove in test cricket

lockyno1

Post Whore
PARANoIR said:
Get over your NSW bias bullsh*t blah blah. Its a load of crap. Seriously, it makes all of us other QLDers look like tossers.

The article has extreme bias written over it. No wonder I have viewed it this way!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Disagree, Clarke had a few chances to cement a spot. If I were picking a batsman only it would be Jaques at no6 not Clarke. They went for the all rounder, and Watson is the best all rounder we have. He'll prove himself this summer!

Read lockys quote above. Now read locky quote in the justin langer thread that he typed a few days ago. I have coppied it and placed it below.

HTML:
The last batting spot at no6 will go to Watson or Clarke. Jaques is not a middle order batsman, so he has to wait until Langer retires after the series! He is the next opener availiable when a spot becomes availiable!

JJ

Immortal
:lol: busted (again) locky...

but yeah, Jaques is not a middle order batsman, but neither is Hussey :lol:

Langer wasn't an opener either :lol:

one thing they all have in common is they can bat!

aussies1st

Staff member
Add to that Ponting started off as a number 6, yep another Locky theory smashed down to pieces!

borat

Bench
Aust sides success in the last 10years has been based on 6 batsmen+gilly+4 bowlers. This has taken us to the top of the world and has been devastatingly successful due to that Gilchrist has been in the top 5 batsmen in the world for a long period of time meaning we bat all the way down to 7. In the bowling department we have 2 world class bowlers in Warne and McGrath who you want to bowl alot of overs. A fifth bowler has been unecessary as they hardly would get used.

However, that is the past. Today Gilchrist although still an outstanding wicketkeeper batsman is nowhere near his best batting form. McGrath and Warne are getting on, more prone to injury and McGrath isn't as effective with long spells. The combination of these two means we need an allrounder. A fifth bowler shortens the batting too much particularly as Gilchrist is not the rock he used to be. IMO I would have Symonds in the team if Watson is out because we definitely need the variety

aussies1st

Staff member
Whats wrong with Clarke's bowling or Hussey they would be just as successive as Symonds. Yes I agree we will need an all rounder in the future but when McGrath and Warne are still there we can stay with the 4 bowlers theory.

bluesbreaker

Bench
You're a dribbler Locky. I'm glad your idiocy stretches across to Cricket as well as Rugby League. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :).

lockyno1

Post Whore
Jaques may not be a middle order batsman, but jeez I'd rather him ahead of Clarke who has been found out big time at test level IMO. As a middle order batsman I doubt he'll have as much success Jaques, but it could be worth giving him a go if the other options are slim.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Locky, you remind me of one of those kids that were always picked on in school and eventually that just cop it and not fight back as they have lost all self esteem and don't feel worthy of sticking up for themself.

So you are saying he is not a middle order batsman, but then you say you would put him at number 6. Keep digging that hole locky.

lockyno1

Post Whore
No, I am saying I'd rather have him at 6 over Clarke becuase Clarke has been tried and failed at the moment. I have said this before, Clarke is a damn good batsman but what he needs is a good season of FC cricket where he scores a lot of runs. There are not many other options at no6. Cogrove is out of form, Noth is a big punt at no6 as well, Marsh is only starting to score well and is 12mths off being ready. Jaques although he is a opener could do ok in the short term as a no6.

JJ

Immortal
come on locky you change like the wind...

you spent months arguing Martyn was a nuffy not worth his place... now you support him...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Watson's hamstring is getting better IMO. Hopefully he'll be fine. As for Martyn look, at the time he wasn't in the best of form. But then I looked beyond the square and asked myself "is there a better alternative". Simply put, there wasn't. So whilst Martyn wasn't scoring heavily he was still the best no4 we had.

borat

Bench
aussies1st said:
Whats wrong with Clarke's bowling or Hussey they would be just as successive as Symonds. Yes I agree we will need an all rounder in the future but when McGrath and Warne are still there we can stay with the 4 bowlers theory.

Lets not kid ourselves that Clarke or Hussey are an allrounders ar*ehole. One lucky spell on a turning pitch doesn't make Clarke and allrounder. He is handy for 3 or 4 overs between spells and thats about it.

Symonds has the variety in his bowling to trouble batsmen and has done so for Australia. Its his batting that lets him down.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Watson's hamstring is getting better IMO. Hopefully he'll be fine. As for Martyn look, at the time he wasn't in the best of form. But then I looked beyond the square and asked myself "is there a better alternative". Simply put, there wasn't. So whilst Martyn wasn't scoring heavily he was still the best no4 we had.

It was said well, your opinions do change like the wind. Within the space of a week, jaques wasn't a middle order batsman. The he could bat number 6. You lack consistency!