What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks a perfect fit for Perth, says Sage

docbrown

Coach
Sharks- development is going to keep the wolves from the door and now the St George debt is more manageable unlikely to face the same pressures. Not going to be financial powerhouses anytime soon but they seem to have had a lifebouy thrown to them to keep them afloat
Panthers- Closely tied to the fortunes of the Leagues empire and a couple of years ago it looked like it was about to crash down big style. Packers bail out seems to have saved them for the time being but they now owe the debt to him and have had to sell some valuable profit making assets. Panthers NRL club are not strong enough to stand alone without the financial backing of the leagues group.
Manly- Despite being great on the field for the past few years they barely manage to break even. Brookvale is a hovel that isn't helping and they are reliant on backers staying sweet.
Roosters - Fiancially seem to be ok so unless something out of the blue comes to light they seem ok

As has been said below though, finances are just one aspect. Some clubs have been totally broke and still kept large fanbases. Others are flush with cash but haven't converted that money into attendances, memberships or viewers.

I suppose its down to a question of whether or not a club believes that if it maintains the status quo that it can lift itself up into the top tier.

joshreading

Staff member
I genuinely do not unerstand why Clubs do not consider creating 'secondary' homes. The reality is by the Sharks taking say 3 low drawing games to Adelaide (with some NRL) support they could garner wider casual supporter base and broader corporate support.

I also think the Storm should do so with Tasmania and possibly places such as Geelong, Albury and Ballarat. If every team did some of this we would quickly cover Australasia. Not just NRL Premiership games but annual trials. Both Bulldogs and Rabbitohs do this with success. It reinforces and expands their supporter bases, in tandem with Membership drives creates broader financial stability.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Sharks pulled out of deals early in Adelaide and Taupo (NZ), I believe it was year one of three both times. I'm not sure of the reason but ill assume its financial. Sharks don't seem to be willing to grow the game beyond the Shire while many other clubs this year will take one home game on the road

newman

First Grade
Sharks pulled out of deals early in Adelaide and Taupo (NZ), I believe it was year one of three both times. I'm not sure of the reason but ill assume its financial. Sharks don't seem to be willing to grow the game beyond the Shire while many other clubs this year will take one home game on the road

Why f**ken comment if you don't know or understand what you are talking about as you have admitted?

newman

First Grade
I genuinely do not unerstand why Clubs do not consider creating 'secondary' homes. The reality is by the Sharks taking say 3 low drawing games to Adelaide (with some NRL) support they could garner wider casual supporter base and broader corporate support.

I also think the Storm should do so with Tasmania and possibly places such as Geelong, Albury and Ballarat. If every team did some of this we would quickly cover Australasia. Not just NRL Premiership games but annual trials. Both Bulldogs and Rabbitohs do this with success. It reinforces and expands their supporter bases, in tandem with Membership drives creates broader financial stability.

Because they represent a geographic area which contributes to the majority of their supporters. By moving home games they have less fixtures to sell to their season ticket holders and that gives them the shits. Local fans hate it and that's the constant feedback that clubs get.

GAZF

First Grade
:) Fair enough too.

I was think perhaps you could even just have the home sky blue body and the away dark blue body...

Might be too rooster-ish. If they went with light home/dark away, the dark jersey would be more Sharks-inspired.

East-Sydney-Sharks3-980x532.jpg

East-Sydney-Sharks4-980x532.jpg

docbrown

Coach
I genuinely do not unerstand why Clubs do not consider creating 'secondary' homes.

Not just NRL Premiership games but annual trials. Both Bulldogs and Rabbitohs do this with success. It reinforces and expands their supporter bases, in tandem with Membership drives creates broader financial stability.

Because that was too clever for the previous NRL administration to coordinate. Hopefully the new mob will see the logic.

We don't need suburban clubs. We need national/international clubs.

docbrown

Coach
Might be too rooster-ish. If they went with light home/dark away, the dark jersey would be more Sharks-inspired.

When teams already have light & dark colours in their schemes I don't get why they feel the need to introduce some god awful 3rd colour for the clash kit.

Surely if the home jersey body is predominantly light then surely they can just use the predominantly dark colour for the clash/away jersey body (as you've done below).

That away kit you've made is better than some of the jerseys currently getting around in the comp and it keeps to the proposed official colours...

M2D2

Bench
I hate this thread, i hate its agenda and most importantly i hate the 'rugby league' fans in this thread.

Prometheus

Juniors
There's an agenda?

I thought the whole thread was just a mix of "what if" speculation and a little light shark-baiting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't you know the fans of LU are going to determine the future direction of the NRL. or at least a couple of nutters on here seem to think so. In their world you are not allowed to voice an opinion for they fear John grant may be reading and adopt the strategies put forward!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like most organisations the board (commission) set the strategic goals and direction and the CEO and management team operationalise them.

docbrown

Coach
I hate this thread, i hate its agenda and most importantly i hate the 'rugby league' fans in this thread.

There were people early on who were hating on Sharks fans just for shit stirring purposes but there's also been a decent discussion about the pros and cons of mergers vs relocations.

Like I said before, nothing should even be explored whilst the club is in such a state of distress. It's a 10 years from now hypothetical on an internet forum.