What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks a perfect fit for Perth, says Sage

newman

First Grade
As far as I know Souths are still running standalone A Grade.

They canned the ARs comp because they wanted a higher standard/numbers A comp, pretty shit for the blokes who want to play footy without taking things super serious.

You are right, but A grade isnt exactly juniors is it? I'm not overly sure here but I think Moorebank and a few other clubs from out west play in that A grade comp too.

I know for sure that 13s up to 21s is SSC (Sydney combined competition) formerly ICCC (inner city combined competition).

adamkungl

Immortal
Travel would be a royal pain in the arse for parents. Not sure that kind of thing will improve playing numbers.

newman

First Grade
Travel would be a royal pain in the arse for parents. Not sure that kind of thing will improve playing numbers.

It's a catch 22. If Souths continued on stand alone in these age groups there would be so many mismatches you would lose people to the game that way. With more teams the gradings are far more even, but the travel is a massive headache.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only people who say that are the window washers on here. Where in RL media sphere is there talk about these supposed "too many teams"?

You serious? They've been talking about rationalising Sydney since the nswrl started it in the 80's. Newtown, Bradley report, then the 90's saw more rationalisation with mergers and attempt to reduce, gallop raised the question of viability of Sydney clubs in the recent past. In fact the arlc saying they are not going to let any club die is the first time leadership hasn't talked about reducing Sydney teams in thirty years!

Diesel

Referee
They don't want to lose a club but they have talked about the future of the comp and the future of the Sydney based teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if there could be a relocation or a merger.

Just reading a few comments over the past days and it appears most fans would rather see a merger of their club rather than a relocation, personally if prefer a relocation as the club remains in tact and would visit the former home of the team often (ie in Sydney at least 5 times a year) rather than it being 1/2 of a new team. Perhaps as my club is not in the city I live in I don't have that attachment of being able to see them play every 2nd week.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In answer to how do you decide weakest link for me the criteria would be:

Attendance
Membership
Financial sustainability at a min budget level (ie set a min expenditure every club should be able to achieve)
Stadium facilities
Perceived value to the competition (subjective I know)
Playing performance

I find those supposed supporters numbers very dubious. If there was that many supporters you would expect attendances, memberships, merchandise sales etc etc to be much much higher. Smacks of being asked by someone with a clipboard if you support a team and saying yes I support souths even though you never go to a game, buy a jersey or rarely watch them on TV unless its a GF

newman

First Grade

Attendance
Membership
Financial sustainability at a min budget level (ie set a min expenditure every club should be able to achieve)
Stadium facilities
Playing performance

I find those supposed supporters numbers very dubious. If there was that many supporters you would expect attendances, memberships, merchandise sales etc etc to be much much higher. Smacks of being asked by someone with a clipboard if you support a team and saying yes I support souths even though you never go to a game, buy a jersey or rarely watch them on TV unless its a GF

This just shows how deluded you are and why I am glad you are nowhere near the running of the game. You have an obsession with crowds and stadiums. You have no concept of the actual numbers, both financial and physical associated with the game. You live in a fairy land.

Onfield performance is miles behind stadium facilities in terms of importance to you? wake up. Aside from a complete financial meltdown the only other factor that could see a team forcibly removed from the comp by the administrators would be that they are consistently uncompetitive on the field; thus harming the integrity of the comp and effecting TV ratings. Even then, the league has a history of propping up teams who can compete on the field, but struggle financially. The ARLC want to see all existing clubs prosper and have set up a framework where that can happen. Nothing is ever truly even and in a 16 team comp you will always have a richest and a poorest. Sniping at the bottom clubs is futile because even if they fail, they will be replaced by another club at the bottom of the rung with the net result being an alienated support base.
The ARLC know this and won't go down this road.

Last edited:

Attendance
Membership
Stadium facilities
Playing performance

Keep in mind how many non Sydney based supporters theses clubs have. Many people who relocate from Sydney retain their love of their team, regardless of their being another close by.

Take the Gold Coast for example. There are plenty of StGeorge, Souths, Sharks and other Sydney club supporters across the Tweed and Gold Coast. They don't mind the Titans, but will not change. Most have families with the same allegiance to the Sydney club. They may only get to a few games in Sydney, if lucky and definitely attend when the team visits locally. Many pay interstate memberships just to support their club and buy merchandise every year. Sydney teams supporter base is far more than those living locally.

Oh and most of these interstate or country supporters have pay TV subscriptions for the sole purpose of being able to watch their team go round each week. Subscriptions they wouldn't fork out the dollars for if their club was gone or relocated.

In most cases these people originally come from the area of their club and relocation would break that bond they have with their club.

The Great Dane

First Grade
In most cases these people originally come from the area of their club and relocation would break that bond they have with their club.

I'm not so sure about that assumption.

I think that if you asked every member of a club if the worst was to happen whether they would prefer see their team relocate or merge you would get a very mixed response.

I think you would get a good percentage saying they would rather see the club die then relocate or merge, a good percentage saying they would prefer see a merger with another club so they stay in their area most of the time and another good percentage saying that they would prefer see the club relocate and stay a standalone club.

I truly believe that it is a matter of values and after reading through the posts on here I have come up with an idea that I would like to get your opinions on.

If a club faces the possibility of folding and it looks like it will be impossible to avoid, then I think the ARLC should step in and prepare a vote that only members and employees of that club can take part in. The ballot would simply read relocation or merger and the voters would tick one and the majority wins. Whatever the majority was after the votes have been tallied the club in question pursues with the help of the ARLC.

That way it doesn't look like the ARLC have given up on the club, it gives the members the opportunity to have their voices heard and hopefully the club does not have to fold.

Just an idea I have had swirling around in my mind after reading these posts that I thought I would share and seek opinions, improvements and possible oversights on my part.

I'm not so sure about that assumption.

I think that if you asked every member of a club if the worst was to happen whether they would prefer see their team relocate or merge you would get a very mixed response.

I think you would get a good percentage saying they would rather see the club die then relocate or merge, a good percentage saying they would prefer see a merger with another club so they stay in their area most of the time and another good percentage saying that they would prefer see the club relocate and stay a standalone club.

I truly believe that it is a matter of values and after reading through the posts on here I have come up with an idea that I would like to get your opinions on.

If a club faces the possibility of folding and it looks like it will be impossible to avoid, then I think the ARLC should step in and prepare a vote that only members and employees of that club can take part in. The ballot would simply read relocation or merger and the voters would tick one and the majority wins. Whatever the majority was after the votes have been tallied the club in question pursues with the help of the ARLC.

That way it doesn't look like the ARLC have given up on the club, it gives the members the opportunity to have their voices heard and hopefully the club does not have to fold.

Just an idea I have had swirling around in my mind after reading these posts that I thought I would share and seek opinions, improvements and possible oversights on my part.

This makes sense.

Unfortunantley one club could not form a merger and therefore that option would require a very specific set of circumstances where 2 clubs put it to a vote and voted for a merger at the same time

The Great Dane

First Grade
This makes sense.

Unfortunately one club could not form a merger and therefore that option would require a very specific set of circumstances where 2 clubs put it to a vote and voted for a merger at the same time

Not necessarily, the ARLC and the club would talk to the other clubs to see which ones of those clubs would at least entertain the idea of a merger, then talk to them and negotiate what the merged team would look like. With the help of the ARLC eventually you would find/convince one of the other clubs that a merger would be in there interests also. Of course it helps if the clubs each have something the other needs.

Then once again, the ARLC would come in and prepare a vote. This time the team not on the verge of folding members and employees would see the plans for the merged team and vote yes or no.

In some cases it may take a while but eventually you would find another struggling club willing to merge.

Campion

Juniors
it would be nice of the mergers made geographical sense. it always pisses me off how the current merge clubs aren't even directly 'next' to each other (i.e. there's a club inbetween!)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality is you need two clubs to merge, both clubs would need to be in situations where their existence as stand alone entities was looking bleak and both would need to accept the conditions of that merger. What members want is probably the end of the list sadly. It can work as we have seen from Wests and Dragons but it can also go tits up as seen by Eagles (though if the NRL had told Manly and Bears that if the joint venture was to fall apart neither club would get the license and it would go to Gosford for a new club I feel it could well have worked eventually). As it stands it looks like all the clubs are now safe for a few years at least unless the NRL does something dramatic. We have seen Cronulla, Panthers, Souths and Knights pulled out of the mire in recent years, Manly are just breaking even but god knows what they'll do if they stop being top contenders. With the increased grants and the reasonable rise in salary cap I think it will take some significant stuff ups for any club to go into liquidation within the life of this TV deal.

The only motivation for merging or relocation from the clubs point of view seems to be gone for the time being. That leaves the ARLC with a bit of a headache in how it achieves its strategic goals of becoming a more nationally relevant code whilst balancing the number of clubs so as not to dilute talent and resources too thin.

docbrown

Coach
this merger would not solve the argument about junior base and given the geographic locations of the two clubs the identity issue and what they represent would become a marketing nightmare.

Given what others have said it seems as if the juniors issue is bigger than what any standalone, relocated or merged club could address on their own. It's an NRL issue and that's who needs to deal with it. But if these clubs that are operating in combined comps were to receive an influx of juniors from a standalone Cronulla comp it could go someway in relieving at least one club's pressure.

As for geographic identity the problem with having a bunch of suburbs that sole represent small enclaves is that they will tend to remain small. The point of this exercise would be to ensure that they keep their existing heartlands but also develop city-wide and nation-wide fan bases. Of the four teams I've mentioned previously Penrith, Manly, Cronulla and Sydney (Roosters), it's clear that the Eastern/Sydney locale descriptors of that club could be adapted to cover the broadest area.

As for your other point about equality in branding, I would prefer to see the Eastern name resurrected as a nod to that club's heritage combined with the Sharks mascot. That could pay respect to both.

09_roost_anzacjers.jpg

If a new expansion club is worthy of entering the comp they should be capable of doing so without needing to remove any teams.

We've seen from history a situation where a divide between clubs in Sydney resulted in larger clubs growing larger and smaller clubs growing slower, stagnating or declining. Ultimately in these situations those smaller clubs faced a crunch, in a variety of ways. I'm not just talking about SL, it's apparent throughout the entire history of the comp.

The issues arise out of whether or not that gap is too wide, whether or not it is growing wider and whether or not the balance is sustainable.

The counter to the Sydney issue is obviously expansion. There are likely more areas that currently warrant or will soon warrant clubs that could push the league beyond 18, 20, 22 and 24 teams. You've suggested that claiming there's a hard limit on the maximum number of teams is arbitrary and that's true to some extent but there are also realistic bounds of limitations - again sustainability - that apply to both new and old markets.

The main question is: should the clubs be expanding with anywhere from 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-whatever new teams if 20 years from now there's still going to be the same problems in Sydney?

I find those supposed supporters numbers very dubious.

I think moreso the NRL to date have been rather shithouse at converting fans into members and getting them to attend matches but that's another issue.

But even if you're skeptical of the total numbers themselves, given that its the same set of questions asked to the polling group, even if the overall volumes were smaller the rankings of the clubs against one another would likely remain the same.

Agreed.

Reality is you need two clubs to merge, both clubs would need to be in situations where their existence as stand alone entities was looking bleak and both would need to accept the conditions of that merger.

I always find it interesting that in rugby league it seems that long term strategic planning is only done in times of dire emergency. I've even said previously that I hate to see anything happen to the Sharks during or as a result of their current saga. I'd rather see the clubs see the logistical and commercial sense of the argument than have them do it at gunpoint.

When you ask why a struggling club should be left alone a common answer you hear back is "we've got money" but again it seems like the money they've had thus far hasn't done much to rectify the situation...

There are though clubs that have genuinely struggled for cash and that's always going to cause sustainability problems. You can't plan for the future if you're wondering where your next meal's coming from. And no doubt it's also been a lack of direction from the previous NRL administration.

For mine, I'd have no problem waiting to see what this new influx of money and this new administration can do to help fix this problem. But if 5-7 years from now, the same clubs are suffering with the same bullshit, then it should be on the table for serious discussion.

It's Easts WW2 heritage one. Just pointing out that they've played in similar colours before...

As for the design you're right, it's about on par with some of the Sharks more recent offerings.

Thems fighting words...

On second thought...I have to agree, those abortions we had a couple of years back were disgusting!

Perth Red

Post Whore
But whose going to merge? These are the clubs who would be lowest in the criteria ratings
Sharks- development is going to keep the wolves from the door and now the St George debt is more manageable unlikely to face the same pressures. Not going to be financial powerhouses anytime soon but they seem to have had a lifebouy thrown to them to keep them afloat
Panthers- Closely tied to the fortunes of the Leagues empire and a couple of years ago it looked like it was about to crash down big style. Packers bail out seems to have saved them for the time being but they now owe the debt to him and have had to sell some valuable profit making assets. Panthers NRL club are not strong enough to stand alone without the financial backing of the leagues group.
Manly- Despite being great on the field for the past few years they barely manage to break even. Brookvale is a hovel that isn't helping and they are reliant on backers staying sweet.
Roosters - Fiancially seem to be ok so unless something out of the blue comes to light they seem ok

So when you look at the list the likelyhood is 2 of the 4 are ok, 2 who knows but none are really candidates to merge together.