What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

bartman

Immortal
it not that hard to understand. he said something in the heat of the moment which was wrong and he regrets. it doesnt mean he genuinely has those views and has an agenda against people of different skin colour or race.
It wouldn't have come out of his mouth if he didn't. It would have been some other insult in the heat of the moment, like "fat merkin" or "dickhead".

Can't believe people are justifying racism on a footy field... :crazy:

Parra

Referee
You can cure cancer, save a family from a burning home, donate all your money to underprivileged children, but suck one dick and you're always known as a lollipoper.

Angry_eel

First Grade
it not that hard to understand. he said something in the heat of the moment which was wrong and he regrets. it doesnt mean he genuinely has those views and has an agenda against people of different skin colour or race.
:lol::lol:

Thats a bit like Oh he said something cause he was drunk. The problem is not the state, the problem is the intent.

hutch

First Grade
It wouldn't have come out of his mouth if he didn't. It would have been some other insult in the heat of the moment, like "fat merkin" or "dickhead".

i would never and have never justified racism. i said making a racist comment in the heat of the moment doesnt automatically make you a racist person. in this case it means you are an idiot, and have problems controlling your temper, doesnt make you a racist.

Angry_eel

First Grade
i would never and have never justified racism. i said making a racist comment in the heat of the moment doesnt automatically make you a racist person.

Yes it does. Its the intent, the intent is to hurt someone using race.

e.g. Russell Peters says stuff concerning race, why does no one call him racist? The intent is to get a laugh not to hurt the people from that race.

TimmyB

Juniors
Noone is justifying it. Hutch and I have both stated categorically that it is an awful thing to say. If a formal complaint was made/there was evidence Gallen made the alleged statement, it should have been dealt with very harshly. There's no place for racism in the game or in society. There's no place for statements like that in the game.

Since you seem unable to decipher the argument - or the evidence suggests you do not - I'll ask you a question. Do you think the statement Gallen made is proof that he hates or thinks Micky is inferior because he's Tongan?

Nugby

Juniors
I agree with Hutch. Saying something in the heat of the moment to upset someone doesn't mean that you necessarily believe in that thing that you are saying, so I couldn't say for certain that this proves Gallen's a racist. Having said that, I hope Gallen breaks both legs after Origin 3.

TimmyB

Juniors
So you're his psychologist now? Ruling out the fact he may have a pre-disposition to say what he said, especially given his history, is a laughable assumption...
Well, for starters what you said makes very little sense. A 'pre-disposition' to saying it? Huh?

But to answer, YOU are the one making an assumption. You are assuming that because of one statement Paul Gallen hates/thinks inferior/is intolerant of black people.

I'm not making any assumptions. I'm not saying he's NOT a racist. I'm saying that the statement alone is not conclusive evidence that he is. Those claim he's a racist are making the assumption that because he used a racially based insult he is a racist.

Knightmare

Coach
Yes it does. Its the intent, the intent is to hurt someone using race.

e.g. Russell Peters says stuff concerning race, why does no one call him racist? The intent is to get a laugh not to hurt the people from that race.

Clearly you aren't aware of 21st Century Politial Correctness, where it's only racist if you are white.

More seriously, I wouldn't class Gallen as a racist based on one comment. Trying to draw a comparison with molesting children or sucking dick is a bit silly, because it takes a LOT more steps to do either of those. If there is niggling going on and someone is thinking of a quick way to get under their opponents' skin, a racial slur is very easy to think of on the spot. It doesn't necessarily mean you are part of the Hitler Youth or you burn crosses in your spare time.

TimmyB

Juniors
Yeah same here. Example: "He had sex with a six year old boy but he isn't a pedophile" or maybe "It's not his go"

Um, no. The racist parallel to your pedophile example would be someone engaging in a pogrom and claiming they are not racist.

Gallen's example is a bit like someone saying I'd like to r*** your kid in order to upset a father.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Clearly you aren't aware of 21st Century Politial Correctness, where it's only racist if you are white.

More seriously, I wouldn't class Gallen as a racist based on one comment. Trying to draw a comparison with molesting children or sucking dick is a bit silly, because it takes a LOT more steps to do either of those. If there is niggling going on and someone is thinking of a quick way to get under their opponents' skin, a racial slur is very easy to think of on the spot. It doesn't necessarily mean you are part of the Hitler Youth or you burn crosses in your spare time.

Hey i agree it works both ways. White to non-white or non-white to white, racism is racism.

bartman

Immortal
Someone who uses a racist term in a derogatory way is a racist.

It's that simple. Any other attempt to define it comes across as making excuses for instances of racist behaviour, because they somehow don't count or hurt unless you do it five, ten, twenty times?

The onus is on the person to come clean and "make up for" having been racist in an incident. A (public) apology is probably the best way of doing that, if the person is serious about not wanting to be considered a racist. Otherwise they are open to judgement (and so they should be).

TimmyB

Juniors
Someone who uses a racist term in a derogatory way is a racist.

It's that simple. Any other attempt to define it comes across as making excuses for instances of racist behaviour, because they somehow don't count or hurt unless you do it five, ten, twenty times?
You stating it that simple doesn't make it so. And noone is excusing the actual behaviour, so it would be appreciated if you stop misrepresenting the position. The position is that it is inexcusable, reprehensible behavior. It doesn't mean that Gallen is a racist.

I'll ask you again, do you think the statement Gallen made is proof that he hates or thinks Micky is inferior because he's Tongan?

Latest posts