What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

fish eel

Immortal
Someone who uses a racist term in a derogatory way is a racist.

It's that simple. Any other attempt to define it comes across as making excuses for instances of racist behaviour, because they somehow don't count or hurt unless you do it five, ten, twenty times?

Yes it was a racist act.

Yes there is no place in the game for it.

Does that one act mean that Paul Gallen has racist blood flowing through his veins? I dont know, if it was pre mediatated, yes. Definately.

However, I'm sure we've all said things we regret in the heat of the moment, things that would not normally define who were are.

The onus is on the person to come clean and "make up for" having been racist in an incident. A (public) apology is probably the best way of doing that, if the person is serious about not wanting to be considered a racist. Otherwise they are open to judgement (and so they should be).

Sure, he and his club should come out against racism, not doubt.

Perosnally I dont think it should be up to the player concerned to take it further. He made an allegation on the field, that should be enough for the NRL to step in.

Knightmare

Coach
I know guys who are of Vietnamese, Lebanese and Greek descent, live in the Bankstown area and who make jokes about Mediterranean Descendants and Asians and lebo's and the rest of them. They don't seriously hate those people, FFS many of the people they hang out with are the very races they poke fun at. It's just light-hearted laughing at stereotypes. Obviously if I told you they were all white and lived in the Shire than they would be all filthy racist rednecks though, wouldn't they.

The funny thing about alot of these people who like to point the finger at someone for being a 'racist' is that they have less ethnic friends than the accused do. But they can't resist the opportunity to be all self-righteous and point the finger at someone else, because it hides their own guilt at being polite to (but avoiding) that Lebanese family a few doors down, or subconsciously not bothering to get to know that Chinese kid because he is "different". Just an observation of mine.

TimmyB

Juniors
I think a pretty decent way to define it is the way criminal law traditionally functions.

For guilt there needs to be actus rea and mens rea. Guilty act, guilty mind. Clearly Gallen said something racist. If he doesn't think Micky is inferior and he doesn't hate him because of his race, how can you really call him racist? He's just a bloke who's spoken disparagingly of Micky using his race.

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"
Imagine if Mundine Said "f**kn white merkin" to Green when they fought , oh i can sense a little change in the air....

Parra

Referee
I think a pretty decent way to define it is the way criminal law traditionally functions.

For guilt there needs to be actus rea and mens rea. Guilty act, guilty mind. Clearly Gallen said something racist. If he doesn't think Micky is inferior and he doesn't hate him because of his race, how can you really call him racist? He's just a bloke who's spoken disparagingly of Micky using his race.

So based on that, where you typed "Micky" we should just assume you mean "black merkin" and it'll all be sweet?

TimmyB

Juniors
No I'm not. I've already stated:
it is inexcusable, reprehensible behavior.

It's a horrible, horrible thing to say and I'm certainly not condoning it

I would love someone to answer this question, so I'll put it to you now. Do you think the statement Gallen made is proof that he hates or thinks Micky (or those of other races) are inferior because he's/they are Tongan/of another race?

TimmyB

Juniors
What is the point?

Surely if there's no proof he fits the definition of a racist, then he's not a racist? That's usually how these things work.

bartman

Immortal
I'll ask you again, do you think the statement Gallen made is proof that he hates or thinks Micky is inferior because he's Tongan?
The statement he made is the statement he made. He was being derogatory toward Paea using his race as an term of insult. Should have just said dickhead, if we are to believe Gallen's explanation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The debate has turned to whether or not Gallen is inherently racist but I think that's really beside the point. What he's alleged to have said is a dog act and really it's indefensible. It's shameful from Paea's perspective that Gallen will get off scot-free.

bartman

Immortal
I think we shouldn't restrict our personal opinions and judgements about what we believe constitutes racism, just because a term has a particular/different meaning in a narrow legal/criminal sense.

Parra

Referee
What he said is a clear racist slur.

What is behind it is secondary. Given the circumstances of the club he is involved with, and the prior form he has for being a complete dickhead, the semantics of "how much he meant it" are totally irrelevant.

If it is tolerated, then it is a slur on the whole organisation.

TimmyB

Juniors
No arguments from me that there's no place for it in the game. I think Gallen is an utter prick for saying it.

I just think that 'racist' is an extremely harsh label to place on someone.

bartman

Immortal
The debate has turned to whether or not Gallen is inherently racist but I think that's really beside the point.
It seems to have only taken that turn because for some reason people want to make excuses for the bloke? Or avoid facing up to the fact and content of what he did. Gallen calls Paea a dickhead and this conversation doesn't even happen...

Gallen made a racist statement, therefore he has opened himself to being judged as racist, until such time he (publically) takes it back.

TimmyB

Juniors
What he said is a clear racist slur.

What is behind it is secondary. Given the circumstances of the club he is involved with, and the prior form he has for being a complete dickhead, the semantics of "how much he meant it" are totally irrelevant.

If it is tolerated, then it is a slur on the whole organisation.

I acknowledged that from the get go. I simply objected to the labelling of Gallen as a racist and that is what the discussion became, so don't come in halfway and tell me I'm missing the point.

Latest posts