What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

kurt faulk

Coach
just an attempt to clean up the forum, a bit anyways.

the word you wrote gets changed to merkin... called a word filter/swear filter..

yes, i understand that but lebanese? seriously?

we are l.e.b.s. there's nothing derogatry by calling us that.

caylo

Bench
Lebanese are as racist as anyone.

I reckon if you think hard you will remember yourself being a racist ...not as in a joke but a comment you have made in the past.

don't even pretend to deny it.

Mate I wont disagree, I was probably rasict but that was when I was 14 Most of that also comes from being classed as a Lebo, which mind you still occurs. People just assume I support the dogs, People assume im muslim (mind you 60% of Lebanese people in Australia are christain). When people ask me now what nationality I am, when I reply australian they say "no, no what is your real nationality". I am identified by my parents background even though I have never left australian shores. This sort of attitudeis one reason why we have racial segragation (funnly enough does not occur as often in the eastern or northen suburbs).

The difference is now, I am 21 years old and a Medical student, I have to be able to identify different racial background and the factors which lead to different diseases without forming judgment. It would be irresponcible of me to maintain the mentality I had as a 14 year old school student.

Gallen is a public figure, like it or not his actions will be percieved accepted by his club and team. He is the captain and taht comes with added responcibility. Dumb thing for him to do, the NRL and Cronulla are forced into action to show that they do not condon that sort of behaviour. IMO being dumb from the NSW side would be another appropriate punishment. Gallen is no longer a child, and as a mature adult plus a recognised figure has responcibilty.

ozbash

Referee
yes, i understand that but lebanese? seriously?

we are l.e.b.s. there's nothing derogatry by calling us that.

Lebanese, L.E.B.S, Lebanon isnt in the word filter.

lebanese is the filter word for the abbreviation of the first 3/4 letters

The word 'merkin' replaces is :cool:

caylo

Bench
just to let you know I do not consider being called Lebo or a Mediterranean Descendant disrespectful unless it is intended to be disrespectful. Aboriginals do find the abreviation disrespectful and I guess it just comes down to understanding what is culturally tolerated and not. Respecting each other and our difference is all that is required for racism to disappear.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
hands up one single white bloke that hasn't said one racist thing?
Me. Single or otherwise.

Are you talking about jokes or vilification?

I have never had any reason to attack someone based on their race.
carcharias said:
same goes for chinese , italians... you name it.

You fuggers are hilarious ...and a bunch of complete bullsh*t artists.

Presumably, you have done so and are looking for back up.

carcharias said:
I am the only Aussie in my dept at work ....racist remarks are as common as chinese people having car accidents.
Where do you work?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lebanese are as racist as anyone.

I reckon if you think hard you will remember yourself being a racist ...not as in a joke but a comment you have made in the past.

don't even pretend to deny it.
You really do think your racist view is the norm. Saturday night brings out the best and worst I suppose.

Let me guess, you're just blurting it out in the heat of the moment?

racist said:
I don't give a flying fug because I am right and you all know it.

ramble_on

Juniors
Had it been Riddell standing on Gallens hand and he called him a "fat merkin" it would also be true, but would he be discriminatory to obese people..??

Seems not enough sainthoods are given out... so many here have earned one if you believe what they say........

ramble_on

Juniors
Me. Single or otherwise.

Are you talking about jokes or vilification?

I have never had any reason to attack someone based on their race.

Do you honour the ANZACS? They had to attack people based on their race.... Actually they fought so that you could come on here and be the idiot your are without fear of torture and/or death.... I wonder what names thay called the opposition then..?? Bunch of racist pricks..??

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
probably?

fug me !!!!!!

I will give you points for that at least.

everybody is racist.

beings scared of a big black man(did you see his eyes) is racist.

It is an insidious form of racism that occurs widely across LU where all these whimps feel sub human to big strong blacks like Paea. With his wild eyes!!!
What they are really saying is that this guys is black, & I think he might kill me because he is black.
If Gallen opened his eyses wide , people would think hes just trying to stay awake, not kill them.
I hate racism like that.

Cletus

First Grade
Do you honour the ANZACS? They had to attack people based on their race.... Actually they fought so that you could come on here and be the idiot your are without fear of torture and/or death.... I wonder what names thay called the opposition then..?? Bunch of racist pricks..??

Are you comparing footballers to the ANZACS? There's a big difference between getting shot at and someone treading on your hand.
Anyway it had nothing to do with race, it was politics.

Kiki

First Grade
hahahaha the ANZACS fought people because of their race. um, no they didn't.

they fought the Turkish because they were allied with Austro-Hungarian empire and Germany, not because they were of a different race.

and fairly sure Germans are caucasian, hence the same race as the ANZACS.

ramble_on

Juniors
pretty sure the japs aren't caucasian Kiki... Pretty sure I know what the Japs thought of caucasians too Kiki..

btw.. anyone who encourages you to have a say is not your friend...

and fairly sure Germans are caucasian, hence the same race as the ANZACS.
I hate getting in racism debates because people tend to get themselves in a knot, but I cannot let this one go, Kiki, as my ancestors were part of this, and they were definitely not caucasian.

http://www.awm.gov.au/blog/2008/04/24/aboriginal-anzacs/

I'm guessing I could look up a link for Maori anzacs as well, but I'm sure you get the picture.

lockyrulz

Juniors

If there was any lingering doubt as to how stupid you are, this post just blew it into the wind.

There is so much idiotic about what you wrote I almost don't know where to begin.

Whichever war you want to choose from in the last two centuries, we fought alongside people of different race, and as for the anzacs, they not only did that, but also fought against people of the same race.

They weren't all racists either dipsh*t, and I am sure had lots of motivations for why they fought.

ramble_on

Juniors
Are you comparing footballers to the ANZACS? There's a big difference between getting shot at and someone treading on your hand.
Anyway it had nothing to do with race, it was politics.

So the superior race had the best politics..??Is that what it was about..?? Sorry, my bad...

another moron.......