What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

lockyrulz

Juniors
I never said you couldn't express your opinion twit.... just that it's worthless....

Well considering the vastly superior intellectual position I hold over you, I dare say my posts probably are worthless in your case given how much of what I state clearly sails over your squashed head.

I might as well be conversing with a a particularly dim crayon really. But I am afraid I am at a loss as to how I could dumb things down to your level, but I am willing to learn.

ramble_on

Juniors
You're a tool locky... I never said the ANZACs were racist, just that by your standards they are...

Why I introduced them into the subject.. this comment... "I have never had any reason to attack someone based on their race."

You lot already hated Gallen before this incident and justify calling him a racist based on your own ignorance.... Nothing was proven and worse, no evidence was heard....

Kiki

First Grade
you do realise 'the ANZACs' are specifically a joint Australian and NZ force that fought in WW1 right? i think you actually mean WW2 veterans.

and even if they do use words like nip and whatever....the war ended 64 years ago. times have changed. also, i would probably take a racist remark coming from them in my stride considering Japan tried to u know, invade our country. they were actual mortal enemies, not playing for an opposing footy team.

comparing them with a racist remark from Paul Gallen on a FOOTBALL FIELD is so off the mark.

anyway as far as Gallen goes, whats done is done. lets all move on.

Last edited:

Vicious

Bench
How are NRL powerless to act? They at least can give him a dressing down, and make sure that it's know that they have talked to the player in question. Even if it amounts to nothing, they do need to be seen to have acted, this is half the problem in Rugby League, we are too quick to sweep it under the carpet until it bites us in the arse!

People are far too sensitive these days, whatever happened to what happens on the field, stays on the field ???
Anyone involved with junior league will know how many dark skinned players call an opponent a white merkin each and every week, it happens that often it`s not even funny.
I do realise it shouldn`t happen and I think the $10,000 fine handed out to Gallen will ensure it doesn`t come from him again, but people are far too sensitive, things happen in the heat of battle and should be left on the field.
Mickey Paea handled the situation admirably and would have earned himself a great deal of respect from fellow players because of it !

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
People are far too sensitive these days, whatever happened to what happens on the field, stays on the field ???
Anyone involved with junior league will know how many dark skinned players call an opponent a white merkin each and every week, it happens that often it`s not even funny.
I do realise it shouldn`t happen and I think the $10,000 fine handed out to Gallen will ensure it doesn`t come from him again, but people are far too sensitive, things happen in the heat of battle and should be left on the field.
Mickey Paea handled the situation admirably and would have earned himself a great deal of respect from fellow players because of it !

stop talking sense.

The same people in here use the term redneck...as in "he's a redneck racist".

redneck refers directly to the colour of a persons skin and has obvious ulterior meanings....
yet they claim to have never made a racist comment.

Vicious

Bench
stop talking sense.

The same people in here use the term redneck...as in "he's a redneck racist".

redneck refers directly to the colour of a persons skin and has obvious ulterior meanings....
yet they claim to have never made a racist comment.

It`s a dead set joke all these doo gooders, in particular these naive women jounalists who will end up f**king the game. I`got aboriginal blood, but because i`m white skinned I was called a white so and so uncounted times when I was playing, but it never even crossed my mind to make an issue of it. What happens on the field stays on the field, if someone says something you don`t like it should give the player even more ammunition to belt them in a LEGAL tackle and more importantly win the game.
All these doo gooders need to let rugby league players be rugby league players on the field and let them be normal people off the field !!!
How the f**k is a rugby league player pissing on a wall in a back lane going to bring the game into disrepute ??? What a f**king joke, it happens thousands of times each and every weekend, yet if a rugby league player is caught doing it, it becomes a big problem !
PLEASE wake up and smell the roses all you doo gooders out there !!!

manly40gimps0

Juniors
you do realise 'the ANZACs' are specifically a joint Australian and NZ force that fought in WW1 right? i think you actually mean WW2 veterans.

and even if they do use words like nip and whatever....the war ended 64 years ago. times have changed. also, i would probably take a racist remark coming from them in my stride considering Japan tried to u know, invade our country. they were actual mortal enemies, not playing for an opposing footy team.

comparing them with a racist remark from Paul Gallen on a FOOTBALL FIELD is so off the mark.

Spot on kiki .. Anyone remember the Bruce ruxton rap? It was a single released I think in late 80s anyway for those who don't know who Bruce ruxton was he was one of the bosses of the RSL

http://cousincreep.com/ruxton/

download load the bruce ruxton rap

keep painting, you are getting closer to that corner

so you are saying that gallen is a racist grub because he possibly (remember there is no definite evidence as to what was said) called paea a black merkin, but, it is ok for diggers to use racist terms, because what they went through was sixty years ago

You're a tool locky... I never said the ANZACs were racist, just that by your standards they are...

Why I introduced them into the subject.. this comment... "I have never had any reason to attack someone based on their race."

You lot already hated Gallen before this incident and justify calling him a racist based on your own ignorance.... Nothing was proven and worse, no evidence was heard....

re the highlighted part

you got it in one, that has been my argument all along

Sam I Am

Juniors
keep painting, you are getting closer to that corner

so you are saying that gallen is a racist grub because he possibly (remember there is no definite evidence as to what was said) called paea a black merkin, but, it is ok for diggers to use racist terms, because what they went through was sixty years ago

As I have noted in another thread, it is unlawful under s 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth)

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/rda1975202/s18c.html
RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 18C

Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic origin
(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:
(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and
(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.
Note: Subsection (1) makes certain acts unlawful. Section 46P of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986 allows people to make complaints to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission about unlawful acts. However, an unlawful act is not necessarily a criminal offence. Section 26 says that this Act does not make it an offence to do an act that is unlawful because of this Part, unless Part IV expressly says that the act is an offence.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an act is taken not to be done in private if it:
(a) causes words, sounds, images or writing to be communicated to the public; or
(b) is done in a public place; or
(c) is done in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place.
(3) In this section:
"public place" includes any place to which the public have access as of right or by invitation, whether express or implied and whether or not a charge is made for admission to the place.
Our servicemen fought, amongst other things, to protect Australia and uphold its laws.

How about this for an idea....STFU about it!

Drop all the ANZAC rubbish and accept that IF he said it, he deserves what he got/gets and IF he did not, he should not have been fined.

Like I said before, the important thing in all this is, like him, love him, hate or detest him, Gallen has been denied natural justice that any one of us would demand. The right to face our accuser and state our case before any action is taken.

Forumers taking a whip to Gallen over this one simply shows the ignorance of some posters in these forums.

Sam I Am

Juniors

Drop all the ANZAC rubbish and accept that IF he said it, he deserves what he got/gets and IF he did not, he should not have been fined.

Like I said before, the important thing in all this is, like him, love him, hate or detest him, Gallen has been denied natural justice that any one of us would demand. The right to face our accuser and state our case before any action is taken.

How has he been denied natural justice? Natural justice refers to procedural fairness in determining an issue. As no complaint has been made to a judicial or quasi-judicial body, no procedural issues arise and there is no denial of natural justice.

As an aside, although vilification is unlawful it is not a criminal act. Therefore, if the issue comes before HEREOC (or goes thence to the Federal Court) there is no "accused". Before HEREOC there is a complainant (or "a person aggrieved") and a respondent. Before the Federal Court there is a plaintiff and a defendant in a civil action.

It is not useful to use terms like "accuser" which has strong overtones of "accused" which is what would be used in a criminal action. It muddies the waters of the nature of the alleged act that took place on the field, and infers that those discussing possible actions arising from that incident are looking a different remedy from that which would be available.

Forumers taking a whip to Gallen over this one simply shows the ignorance of some posters in these forums.

yep.....:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts