What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Whats worrying is those 2 words shouldnt even be in Gallens head, in his thinking!
Well that's the unfortunate thing about certain mindsets - you certainly can't stop anyone having their own thoughts. There will always be those who think it is an acceptable reaction in the 'heat of the moment'. But the fact is the majority of people don't go around making racist remarks. It's backward, anti-social and in some cases illegal.

People go through all sorts of stressful things every day, in traffic, at work, at home... wherever, and we've all been known to swear or curse at some time or another. But it's not usual for someone to immediately yell out a racial slur when under pressure.

Garts

Bench
imo saying what he said does not make him racist. Everyone says dumb sh!t in the heat of the moment and I dare say this is the case here. I agree he needs to be punished but I am not going to call him a racist becuase of one comment.

bartman

Immortal
imo saying what he said does not make him racist. Everyone says dumb sh!t in the heat of the moment and I dare say this is the case here. I agree he needs to be punished but I am not going to call him a racist becuase of one comment.
But saying "dumb sh*t" isn't racist in any way. He could have called Paea a "dumb sh*t"... but no, he chose to say something about the colour of his skin.

A grub act from Gallen and a act of racism, no two ways about it.

Garts

Bench
But saying "dumb sh*t" isn't racist in any way. He could have called Paea a "dumb sh*t"... but no, he chose to say something about the colour of his skin.

A grub act from Gallen and a act of racism, no two ways about it.

Heat of the moment stuff imo. Yes an act of racism but it does not automatically mean he is a racist.

Iafeta

Referee
Heat of the moment stuff imo. Yes an act of racism but it does not automatically mean he is a racist.

100% correct. I think if it's any other player in the NRL that this wouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately Paul has a number of dubious incidents on a rugby league field that can only smear his character. I used to say it about the Sharks with him and Bird that they had a premiership winning squad potentially that could never win the premiership due to those two - those two were good for some of the most imbecile type penalties of all time, yet they were heralded to the point that it became a popular norm within the club ranks. Particularly when the bloke becomes club captain.

IMO, NSW probably lose 50-60 metres go forward with him out of the game, but at the same time are an infinitely better chance of winning. The back chat penalties, the flop penalties, the no need clip around the head penalties are severely reduced without Gallen in the team. Such a great shame, I love watching Gallen go around except for the inevitable minute or so of stupidity that kills his teams momentum, no clearer example than when he raked Laffranchi's stitches out a year or two ago. Down by 6, he does it right in front of the sticks to give Gold Coast an 8 point lead with about 10 to go.

Cloud9

When people say things in the heat of the moment, it often reveals what they're thinking at a subconscious level at that point in time. Gallen was a racist at that particular moment. But i am believer that people can change and that thoughts and beliefs are not static.

carcharias

Immortal
hands up one single white bloke that hasn't said one racist thing?

same goes for chinese , italians... you name it.

You fuggers are hilarious ...and a bunch of complete bullsh*t artists.

I am the only Aussie in my dept at work ....racist remarks are as common as chinese people having car accidents.

hands up one single white bloke that hasn't said one racist thing?

same goes for chinese , italians... you name it.

You fuggers are hilarious ...and a bunch of complete bullsh*t artists.

I am the only Aussie in my dept at work ....racist remarks are as common as chinese people having car accidents.

whats that i hear in the distance........why i think it is the moral high horse brigade coming to take you away to a kangaroo court

Darryn

Juniors
I would have to agree with what some people are saying about what he said. Just because he said it I don't think that makes him racist, I've said things like that before on the footy field but I haven't really ment it. It would be like playing against a fat guy and calling him a fat f**king pig, it's just something that comes out sometimes when you are angry. I'm not condoning what he said, I can just understand why it happened.

caylo

Bench
I have indian friends I make black jokes about
I have asian friends I make asian jokes about
I am lebanese and make jokes about myself

BUT simply you can not use make those sort of comments these days to people even as jokes somtimes. I know indians that say bad things about other indians, and alot of cultures are similar in which they belittle other. In australia thou this is not accepted, we don't live in a world with a predominate culture. Australia by Law is a Multicultural society in which we imbrace others and their culture. What Gallen said should not be accepted and a fine plus a loss of his captaincy is sufficent punishment... and he should accept responcibility and move on.

carcharias

Immortal
I have indian friends I make black jokes about
I have asian friends I make asian jokes about
I am lebanese and make jokes about myself

BUT simply you can not use make those sort of comments these days to people even as jokes somtimes. I know indians that say bad things about other indians, and alot of cultures are similar in which they belittle other. In australia thou this is not accepted, we don't live in a world with a predominate culture. Australia by Law is a Multicultural society in which we imbrace others and their culture. What Gallen said should not be accepted and a fine plus a loss of his captaincy is sufficent punishment... and he should accept responcibility and move on.

Lebanese are as racist as anyone.

I reckon if you think hard you will remember yourself being a racist ...not as in a joke but a comment you have made in the past.

don't even pretend to deny it.

kurt faulk

Coach

man these scum supporters are full of sh*t.

how many people have called someone a black merkin to their face? i reckon, if you took out the rednecks, hardly anybody.

you would have to be really racist to do that.

same as the lebanese. you take away the bankstown lebanese and you will find they are very polite and courteous.

edit - what's with the editing of the post? merkin? who says that? lebanese? who says that? lebanese. l.e.b.s.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
I am sorry if the truth hurts fella's, but it is the truth.

call me what you like ...I don't give a flying fug because I am right and you all know it.

What is even funnier is that there a blokes in denial...

ozbash

Referee
edit - what's with the editing of the post? merkin? who says that? lebanese? who says that? lebanese. l.e.b.s.

just an attempt to clean up the forum, a bit anyways.

the word you wrote gets changed to merkin... called a word filter/swear filter..

Latest posts