What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

Sam I Am

Juniors
no you f**kwit... enlighten me as to why you know what it is...... and why you can judge who is and isn't one....

Nice one. Tell people that they don't know what racism is, then abuse anybody who asks you.

I'm not the one who claimed to know what it really is. You were. If you don't have anything to say, don't pretend that you do. If you do, put up or shut up.

ramble_on

Juniors
Nice one. Tell people that they don't know what racism is, then abuse anybody who asks you.

I'm not the one who claimed to know what it really is. You were. If you don't have anything to say, don't pretend that you do. If you do, put up or shut up.

I have never claimed to know what racism is... just that some of those who call others a racist are hypocrits.... and idiot... and morons... and deadbeats... and many other names....

Fibroman

First Grade
It used to be called "Gamesmanship" Steve Waugh and Glenn McGrath (2 of our current best ambassadors for fundraising causes) were the masters. I have no doubt the word 'black; and 'c9b-nt' would have been used by both of them on a regular basis in the name of gamesmanship, eg. trying to upset and put your opponent off. DOESNT MEAN YOU ARE A RACIST.

If you were playing against Andrew Johns and he was under a bomb and you ran towards him and yelled "drop it barge arse" would that mean that you should cop 10k fine for villifying blokes with large glutes?

Kiki

First Grade
If you were playing against Andrew Johns and he was under a bomb and you ran towards him and yelled "drop it barge arse" would that mean that you should cop 10k fine for villifying blokes with large glutes?

i hate it when people compare stuff like this. i dont think guys with large arses have been denied the vote because of said large arses.

its like when people on here are all 'oh so and so said i was a white merkin....THATZ RACISSSM11!!'

and yes technically it is. but once again, as a whole white people have not been oppressed because of their race. they have done the invading, the colonising, the oppressing. in modern history white people have been in the position of power.

the way some of you look at this is so incredibly arbitary. when in reality the issues surrounding race and discrimination is so incredibly complicated. obviously some of you lack the comprehension to understand the complexities of this problem. but thats okay, i guess we all have our own views on everything.

Last edited:

sneagle

Juniors
http://livenews.com.au/sport/gallen-apologises-for-racial-slur-accepts-10000-fine/2009/6/1/208478

Monday, 1 June 2009 12:22 PM http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20

Gallen apologises for racial slur, accepts $10,000 fine

LiveNews

Sharks captain Paul Gallen has apologised for a racial slur against St George Illawarra’s Mickey Paea, and has accepted the NRL’s $10,000 fine.

Gallen was alleged to have referred to Paea as a “black c***” during the Dragons’ win over Cronulla in Round 11.

Despite no official complaint being lodged by Paea at the time, the NRL stepped in and handed down the fine to Gallen based on the evidence of on-field audio recordings.

Gallen has today met with the league and accepted the fine.

“Comments were made in the heat of the moment and I’m sorry for the pain that it has caused Mickey Paea, his family and my family,” Gallen said.

“I sorted it out with Mickey straight after the game.

“I’m not a racist but anyone who knows me knows that. I have many friends from various racial backgrounds and a brother-in-law from Papua New Guinea. Needless to say this has affected my family deeply.

“I need to work on my temperament at times and this is something that rams that home.

“I’ve already talked with [Cronulla coach] Ricky Stuart about doing that and I want to show that I’m serious about making some changes.

“All I can concentrate on now is proving to people that I can win back their support and that I can help the Sharks.

“The NRL has agreed to allow me to donate the money to charity.”

NRL boss David Gallop applauded Gallen’s honest, but attacked attempts by the league players’ association to “cloud the issue”.

“Anyone I’ve spoken to will tell you that Paul is not a racist but that can’t excuse what was said,” Gallop said.

“Despite a number of people – including Paul’s own player association – trying to cloud the issue with an ill informed attack on our process, Paul has today had the courage to stand up and show true leadership by facing up to a mistake.

“We won’t back away from the need to maintain a strong stance on racial vilification but it’s important that people recognise that Paul has today taken a strong stance of his own.”

Sam I Am

Juniors
http://livenews.com.au/sport/gallen-apologises-for-racial-slur-accepts-10000-fine/2009/6/1/208478

Sharks captain Paul Gallen has apologised for a racial slur against St George Illawarra’s Mickey Paea, and has accepted the NRL’s $10,000 fine.

Gallen was alleged to have referred to Paea as a “black c***” during the Dragons’ win over Cronulla in Round 11.

Despite no official complaint being lodged by Paea at the time, the NRL stepped in and handed down the fine to Gallen based on the evidence of on-field audio recordings.

Gallen has today met with the league and accepted the fine.

“Comments were made in the heat of the moment and I’m sorry for the pain that it has caused Mickey Paea, his family and my family,” Gallen said.

For all of those halfwits who hear a legal term on Today Tonight or Ten News and think that they can bandy it around like an adult who actually knows what they are talking about...

...it looks like there was "natural justice":

1. Evidence was presented to establish the allegation.
  2. The aggrieved person had a chance to put their side of the story. In the course of doing so they admitted the offence.
  3. A punitive remedy was imposed, and the matter is closed.
End of story.

Eion

First Grade
For all of those halfwits who hear a legal term on Today Tonight or Ten News and think that they can bandy it around like an adult who actually knows what they are talking about...

...it looks like there was "natural justice":

2. The aggrieved person had a chance to put their side of the story. In the course of doing so they admitted the offence.
End of story.
Except that step 3 came before step 2, and step 1 was not fully explored. There weren't a lot of people (myself included) who were in much doubt that gal actually said it. That doesn't mean you just bypass the process regardless of how many big words like 'punitive' you use.

Sam I Am

Juniors
Except that step 3 came before step 2, and step 1 was not fully explored. There weren't a lot of people (myself included) who were in much doubt that gal actually said it. That doesn't mean you just bypass the process regardless of how many big words like 'punitive' you use.

You know the steps that the NRL followed behind closed doors? You must be well connected. Or do you just take at face value what you pick up from the news?

By the way, "punitive" isn't a big word. It is only three syllables. Ask your English teacher.

Eion

First Grade
You know the steps that the NRL followed behind closed doors? You must be well connected. Or do you just take at face value what you pick up from the news?

By the way, "punitive" isn't a big word. It is only three syllables. Ask your English teacher.
You must know Sam. You're the one who outlined steps 1 and 2 with such authority. Why don't you go into the NRL's "behind closed doors" analysis of the evidence presented and all the ways the aggrieved person put forward their case. Or do you just pick and choose what you want to believe?

Sam I Am

Juniors
You must know Sam. You're the one who outlined steps 1 and 2 with such authority. Why don't you go into the NRL's "behind closed doors" analysis of the evidence presented and all the ways the aggrieved person put forward their case. Or do you just pick and choose what you want to believe?

Here are the steps again:

1. Evidence: on field recording.
  2. He met with the NRL and admitted that he did it.
  3. There was a fine imposed.
It is all on the public record that these things happened. You are the one saying that you know better. And of course, you have no way of knowing that whatsoever.

ramble_on

Juniors
You know Sam, if you go back and see what it was I was saying throughout this thread it's that what Gallen said (assuming he did) does not make him a racist....

and I did go off track quite a bit....I'll refrain from offering my opinion to superior assholes such as yourself in future....

Eion

First Grade
Here are the steps again:

1. Evidence: on field recording.
  2. He met with the NRL and admitted that he did it.
  3. There was a fine imposed.
It is all on the public record that these things happened. You are the one saying that you know better. And of course, you have no way of knowing that whatsoever.
Again I say step 3 came before step 2. That's not opinion - that's fact. And in my book step 2 should be included in step 1, but maybe I'm out of step.

Sam I Am

Juniors
You know Sam, if you go back and see what it was I was saying throughout this thread it's that what Gallen said (assuming he did) does not make him a racist....

I love it, the player admits he said it, but fanboys can't bring themselves to. Very touching scene. Do you have a signed poster on your wall?

As for racism, his comment contravened s 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act1975 (Cth). I submit that parliament is a better authority for what constitutes racist behaviour than a forum fanboy such as yourself.

carcharias

Immortal
was there any evidence as in the step 1 recording?

there was an allegation...there was video proof of Paea stepping on Gallens hand.

I haven't seen or heard any such evidence of Gallen actually saying it.
I could be wrong but I think step 1 is inconclusive.