What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

adamkungl

Immortal
well i have a degree in Communication majoring in Cultural Studies and Modern History so thats probably why i view these issues in a certain way.

but yeh, we dont have to agree. and that's okay. it was the same at Uni, not everyone agrees all the time and its fine...its about the discussion.

yeah i remember you mentioning the cultural studies major at some point. Probably in a very similar argument...

Sam I Am

Juniors
What his wife thinks is an issue between them that was resolved 7 years ago, and is none of yours mine or the medias business.

The issue is that your narrow definition of "no wrong" is "not found guilty of a criminal offence". There is a world of difference between the two.

Keep going with the Cronulla response, though. Deny, deny, deny. You should change your team.

ramble_on

Juniors
How is there any "fault" to be had, they didn't bloody do anything wrong...

Don't you get it Adam? If the law goes against his moral standing it's incorrect, but if it supports it it's the greatest... The basis of his argument is that he's right.....

Sam... By the way, there is a f**king huge difference between "Insufficient evidence" and "No crime was committed".... You're a dickhead.... singular....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ask his wife if she thinks he did something wrong.
Please spare us the passing judgment on what his wife is thinking.

That issue has always been something between Matthew Johns and his family. It really has nothing to do with any of us here.

It became a media circus. Granted it was topical, but it is still a circus written specfically to outrage wowsers and their ultra conservative cousins.

Only a fool would pretend to know what his wife and other family members are going through.

adamkungl

Immortal
The issue is that your narrow definition of "no wrong" is "not found guilty of a criminal offence". There is a world of difference between the two.

Keep going with the Cronulla response, though. Deny, deny, deny. You should change your team.

Sorry, I should have said "didn't do anything wrong that is any of our business".

I'm not sure what I'm denying by the way. This should be interesting.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No i don't actually Willow. I am still yet to hear Gallens side of the story, or still yet to hear Gallen say what everyone is going off half cocked about what he said.

Test lock Paul Gallen has quit the Cronulla captaincy just hours after admitting his guilt and apologising for racially abusing St George Illawarra forward Mickey Paea.
"Comments were made in the heat of the moment and I'm sorry for the pain that it has caused Mickey Paea, his family and my family."
"I need to work on my temperament at times and this is something that rams that home."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/gallen-quits-sharks-captaincy-20090601-bsh7.html

Enough proof yet Craigshark?

Fibroman

First Grade
i hate it when people compare stuff like this. i dont think guys with large arses have been denied the vote because of said large arses.

its like when people on here are all 'oh so and so said i was a white merkin....THATZ RACISSSM11!!'

and yes technically it is. but once again, as a whole white people have not been oppressed because of their race. they have done the invading, the colonising, the oppressing. in modern history white people have been in the position of power.

the way some of you look at this is so incredibly arbitary. when in reality the issues surrounding race and discrimination is so incredibly complicated. obviously some of you lack the comprehension to understand the complexities of this problem. but thats okay, i guess we all have our own views on everything.

Most black people have been denied to right to vote in the past because (through no fault of their own) they had very poor literacy skills as a general rule and probably couldn't read the ballot paper.

Do we hate jews in this country because most of them (as a general rule through no fault of their own) have a higher level IQ than the rest of us? Probably jealousy comes into play a tad I would suggest.

Identifying general traits in other races and cultures doesn't necessarily make you racist. There is good and bad in everyone and every race.

Personally, I think what happens and is said on the field should stay on the field.

bartman

Immortal
Test lock Paul Gallen has quit the Cronulla captaincy just hours after admitting his guilt and apologising for racially abusing St George Illawarra forward Mickey Paea.
"Comments were made in the heat of the moment and I'm sorry for the pain that it has caused Mickey Paea, his family and my family."
"I need to work on my temperament at times and this is something that rams that home."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/gallen-quits-sharks-captaincy-20090601-bsh7.html

Enough proof yet Craigshark?

Only took Gallen a week and a half to admit and apologise for his "heat of the moment" statement!

Prick of the highest order. And a racist grub... ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Most black people have been denied to right to vote in the past because (through no fault of their own) they had very poor literacy skills as a general rule and probably couldn't read the ballot paper.
What? Surely you're taking the piss.

Lots of white people couldn't read or write either. This didn't stop them getting to vote. Black people were denied the right to vote by legislation.

In Australia, Aborigines were not even recognised as Australian citizens prior to a referendum in 1967.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Only took Gallen a week and a half to admit and apologise for his "heat of the moment" statement!

Read the rest of the article...

"I think whether I have the `c' next to my name or not, I am the Sharks captain and I am the leader of the club," Gallen said.

"You only have to ask the players that."

Read into that whatever you like. I read that there is dissention over the decision and that Gallen feels he has the backing of the players.

What does it say about the incoming captain?

Sam I Am

Juniors
Please spare us the passing judgment on what his wife is thinking.

That issue has always been something between Matthew Johns and his family. It really has nothing to do with any of us here.

It became a media circus. Granted it was topical, but it is still a circus written specfically to outrage wowsers and their ultra conservative cousins.

Only a fool would pretend to know what his wife and other family members are going through.

Only a fool would suggest that to cheat on your wife in a gangbang wouldn't cause hurt. No one is passing judgment on what his wife thinks. Rather I am passing judgment on the hurt he undoubtedly caused her. I think it was a low act. That she forgave him and stood publicly by him speaks volumes about the depth of her character.

Cloud9

"I think whether I have the 'c' next to my name or not, I am the Sharks captain and I am the leader of the club," Gallen said.
"You only have to ask the players that."

The merkin's not resigning

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Only a fool would suggest that to cheat on your wife in a gangbang wouldn't cause hurt. No one is passing judgment on what his wife thinks. Rather I am passing judgment on the hurt he undoubtedly caused her. I think it was a low act. That she forgave him and stood publicly by him speaks volumes about the depth of her character.
I can't help you with your character judgements on other people you have never met. That's a view you have to work out in your own time.

You are clearly passing judgement on how his family is dealing with it. You are now passing judgment of the character of his family members.

Probably best that you back off at this point.

Sam I Am

Juniors
What? Surely you're taking the piss.

Lots of white people couldn't read or write either. This didn't stop them getting to vote. Black people were denied the right to vote by legislation.

In Australia, Aborigines were not even recognised as Australian citizens prior to a referendum in 1967.

Furthermore, as recently as January 2009 the High Court has upheld the right of the Government to suspend the operation of anti-discrimination legislation and compulsorily acquire their land without the constitutional protection of compensation on just terms: Wurridjal v Commonwealth [2009] HCA 2.

Kirby J was eloquent in his dissent:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2009/2.html

If any other Australians, selected by reference to their race, suffered the imposition on their pre-existing property interests of non-consensual five-year statutory leases, designed to authorise intensive intrusions into their lives and legal interests, it is difficult to believe that a challenge to such a law would fail as legally unarguable on the ground that no "property" had been "acquired". Or that "just terms" had been afforded, although those affected were not consulted about the process and although rights cherished by them might be adversely affected. The Aboriginal parties are entitled to have their trial and day in court. We should not slam the doors of the courts in their face.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So whatever happened to Gallen saying he was misheard?

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen claims he was misheard...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/gallen-fined-10000/2009/05/25/1243103475490.html

Blacktip Reefy, do you still think Paea was the one who was lying?

No.
Was I sure nobody besides those 2 knew the truth & that there is no audio of it? Yes.
Do I think he was wrong for calling Paea a black merkin? No. If he had have smashed him, he would be out suspended for 6 weeks.
What will happen to Gal? He will continue to play rep for another 6 years.
What will happen to PAea? Will fade away into reserve grade.
The winner out of all this is the Sharks & a charity.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No.
Was I sure nobody besides those 2 knew the truth & that there is no audio of it? Yes.
Do I think he was wrong for calling Paea a black merkin? No. If he had have smashed him, he would be out suspended for 6 weeks.
What will happen to Gal? He will continue to play rep for another 6 years.
What will happen to PAea? Will fade away into reserve grade.
The winner out of all this is the Sharks & a charity.

Did you call Paea a liar? Yes.
Has Gallen since changed his story? Yes.

You join the dots.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Did you call Paea a liar? Yes.
Has Gallen since changed his story? Yes.

You join the dots.

Big deal. Gal got under his skin. Literally. that is the aim of sledging. Paea couldn't deal with it & had a hissy fit. Soft cok. Exposed his soft underbelly & why his run is all downhill now in the NRL

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Big deal. Gal got under his skin.
Gallen lost his cool, he is still paying the price. Pretty sure your hero has been owned by his own hand.
blacktip-reefy said:
Literally.
Literally? You mean he entered Paea's skeletal region?

I never saw that on the replay.
blacktip-reefy said:
that is the aim of sledging.
Perhaps it's OK in your neck of the woods. Racial vilification is illegal in 2009.

What time is it in Cronulla btw? 1954?
blacktip-reefy said:
Paea couldn't deal with it & had a hissy fit.
On the contrary he reacted like any man would who was just insulted by a gutless twit. Gallen looked like he was going to cry.

To Paea's credit, he forgave your hero. The media, the NRL and YOUR club were not so forgiving.
blacktip-reefy said:
Soft cok.
Oooh naughty reefy, saying naughty words... you naughty rebel you.
blacktip-reefy said:
Exposed his soft underbelly & why his run is all downhill now in the NRL
You sure you're not taking about Gallen now?

Fess up Reefy, you backed the wrong side on this one.

Latest posts