What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks headhunt new coach behind Stuart's back

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If Ricky leaves I think you would find that Flanno would step in & Alan Wilson would step up.
Good guy Alan Wilson too. Very little change to existing coaching structure just a huge saving on Dollars.

Ausguy

Coach
i just checked the UK forums and huddersfield forum.... couldnt find anythign at all about a rumoured return by brown. So it hasnt made it that far yet?

samshark

Juniors
So has Ivan Henjak with Bennet. How are the Broncos going?

Thats called injuries and a much weaker playing squad. Broncos made the finals last year didnt they?

Our team needs a fresh approach with a new style of play concentrating more on skills. Thats the only way these young guys will reach their potential and the team will play a better brand of football which in turn will lead to better ratings, more free to air games etc etc. Flanagan's not the coach to do that.

Hughesy215

Juniors
I agree but I hope it's not true I hope that everytime riky does something wrong flanno is biting his tounge thinking oooo if I was in charge Id... I bet there are things that if he was given the top job he would want to do.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Why would that be any different. Flanno has been with Ricky for years.

He is also assistant coach to Belamy for Origin...

Flanno was also able to get the best out of Soward, something Ricky didn't seem to be able to manage.

samshark

Juniors
He is also assistant coach to Belamy for Origin...

Flanno was also able to get the best out of Soward, something Ricky didn't seem to be able to manage.

Yes and was assistant Australian coach too.

When exactly did Flanagan get the best out of Soward? He has been assistant or reserve grade coach to Ricky for nearly 10 years. Somehow I think any tricks Flanagan has in his book would have been tried by now especially considering the duo have made the finals once in the last six years or something. They are both forward and defence orientated intense style of coaches who are deficient in coaching outside backs. This is clearly evident in the recruitment, retention, development and skill level of our backs. IMO we need a fresh approach.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
This is clearly evident in the recruitment,

Recruitment is great.Toops, Snowden, Kelly, Gardner,Aiton, Flanagan Collis, VAve, barret.

retention,
retention is great. Gal, Ports, Fergo, Stapo, wright, Mills

development and skill level of our backs.
Development is great. Fergo, Kelly, Stapo, Wright, Mana, Bakuya, Kungfu, Mills, Gordon.

How the club managed to acheive any of this, let alone all of this, on its budget is beyond me.

You guys are all watching the cake cook & deciding to throw it out because it hasn't risen. Well its only half cooked. Patience.

Last edited:

millersnose

Post Whore
by the way

when did they announce they were baking a cake?

i can show you a dozen threads you started last year that seemed to indicate not only did the cake already exist but that barrett was actually the icing on it

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Was that prior to the first round loss of 3 key players? Then the subsequent loss of what, every player?
Last year was a write off with the exception of a few rookies gaining some valuable experience.

millersnose

Post Whore
sure there were injuries

but when was the cake baking year announced?

was it the end of last season?

was it half way through last season?

or was it after the 5 straight losses beginning this year making a total of 15 losses on the trot??

RUBIKS

Juniors
Yes and was assistant Australian coach too.

When exactly did Flanagan get the best out of Soward? He has been assistant or reserve grade coach to Ricky for nearly 10 years. Somehow I think any tricks Flanagan has in his book would have been tried by now especially considering the duo have made the finals once in the last six years or something. They are both forward and defence orientated intense style of coaches who are deficient in coaching outside backs. This is clearly evident in the recruitment, retention, development and skill level of our backs. IMO we need a fresh approach.

n 2004, the Sydney Roosters firmly held all the Aces in the NRL’s deck. They were well on their way to a Premiership victory and had a very, very special Jersey Flegg side behind them, ready to build a legacy at the club. The Jersey Flegg side were unbeaten in 21 of their 21 matches and scored 849 points at an average of 40.42 a game. Their brilliance was highlighted perfectly with an 80-12 demolition of their nearest rivals, Penrith. The young man who led that side, eventually kicking the winning field goal for them in the grand final, was none other than Jamie Soward.

That year he scored 351 points, and was touted by many as the next ‘Andrew Johns.’ He swiftly made his debut with the Sydney Roosters in 2005, yet couldn’t quite find his position or really make his mark in the top grade. He spent the next two seasons in that same limbo and on May 28, 2007, split ties with the Eastern Suburbs club and signed with the St. George-Illawarra Dragons.
Source

Flanno was his coach in 04. Pretty impressive performance not only for Soward but for an unbeaten team.

Of course, it was a shame they were unbeaten as they beat a Porter led Sharks side in the GF.

Latest posts