What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks (Round 20)

Bunnies_Pride

Juniors
I think there's a case for Russell Crowe being a bad influence on the club. Russell was looking to sell and walk away from the club in 2012, coincidentally enough that's when our period of success started.

I'll start by saying crowe has generally been good for the club, his cash injections and profile helped. But sometimes chairman/owners can try to take over to much and it effects the way things operate.

Early on in Crowes tenure there were all kinds of rumours of crowe being a destabilizing force on the team itself ( not the club). There's stories of Fletcher trying to smash him during a touch game that broke out at a team dinner, McDougall come out and said Crowe interfered with team selections and that's why he wanted out, He apparently tried to force Joe Guluavo to retire, Joe went on to play in a couple of grand finals after that. Crowe was rumoured to be hugely involved in recruitment etc. Crowe himself has said that the rabbitohs had cost him his marriage.
Then in 2012 Crowe wanted to sell. It seemed he had a lot going on in his personal life. At the same time Maguire came in, and Richardson seemed to have full control for a while. We had success. Maguire got the players he wanted, Teo being a prime example. Crowe reneged on selling late in 2013 but he did seem to be far in the background now.
So we rose to the top while crowe was taking a backseat to things. But in 2015 Richardson left and it seems crowe, with personal issues behind him, started to get involved more. While Maguires coaching techniques are open to criticism, it does seem to be that he is involved in what now seems to be a messy behind the scenes scenario. Bennetta has shown he is not capable to be able to handle things unless he has a lot of power behind the scenes, Bellamy pretty much runs Storm, so to say things would be different if we had them as coaches may be off the mark.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think there's a case for Russell Crowe being a bad influence on the club. Russell was looking to sell and walk away from the club in 2012, coincidentally enough that's when our period of success started.

I'll start by saying crowe has generally been good for the club, his cash injections and profile helped. But sometimes chairman/owners can try to take over to much and it effects the way things operate.

Early on in Crowes tenure there were all kinds of rumours of crowe being a destabilizing force on the team itself ( not the club). There's stories of Fletcher trying to smash him during a touch game that broke out at a team dinner, McDougall come out and said Crowe interfered with team selections and that's why he wanted out, He apparently tried to force Joe Guluavo to retire, Joe went on to play in a couple of grand finals after that. Crowe was rumoured to be hugely involved in recruitment etc. Crowe himself has said that the rabbitohs had cost him his marriage.
Then in 2012 Crowe wanted to sell. It seemed he had a lot going on in his personal life. At the same time Maguire came in, and Richardson seemed to have full control for a while. We had success. Maguire got the players he wanted, Teo being a prime example. Crowe reneged on selling late in 2013 but he did seem to be far in the background now.
So we rose to the top while crowe was taking a backseat to things. But in 2015 Richardson left and it seems crowe, with personal issues behind him, started to get involved more. While Maguires coaching techniques are open to criticism, it does seem to be that he is involved in what now seems to be a messy behind the scenes scenario. Bennetta has shown he is not capable to be able to handle things unless he has a lot of power behind the scenes, Bellamy pretty much runs Storm, so to say things would be different if we had them as coaches may be off the mark.

It's all good to say that Madge helped us rise to success and Crowe doesn't really need to contribute anything other than his money but the reality is that the players are severely underperforming.

You can't really put blame like that on Crowe or Richo. The players are not trying as hard to win as they were in 2014. So many games we have thrown away this year because we've just failed to turn up and put in half ass performances. You can't really put that blame on the owner or on Richo. Madge has to take the blame for those performances?

To me it seems It has come to a point where he has too much of an emotional connection to some of the players that he is too scared to drop one of them. He keeps selecting the same losing 17 week in week out, keeps delivering the same "we just didn't complete our sets", "opposition teams build pressure off our errors". The game that gave me faith in Madge was the game where he fired up after the broncos loss. He openly critiqued the game and the refs because it was total bullshit. It gave me hope that he still had passion.

But nevertheless he has failed to implement the same passion into the players and the week after we were absolutely destroyed by manly. We need a new coach that is going to reignite some of our players. One that isn't scared to drop underperformers, one that is willing to have a cleanout if it's required, one that can inspire players and not have them walking out because they're unhappy.

I can guarantee you this club will suffer more severe losses in future stars if we don't start turning things around soon.

I don't mind giving Madge another season even after saying all this. No coach could of coached our team into the finals this year. It's a reality. If our recruitment/retention and position on the ladder next year is shocking however then I would be saying goodbye to Madge.

Bunnies_Pride

Juniors
It's all good to say that Madge helped us rise to success and Crowe doesn't really need to contribute anything other than his money but the reality is that the players are severely underperforming.

You can't really put blame like that on Crowe or Richo. The players are not trying as hard to win as they were in 2014. So many games we have thrown away this year because we've just failed to turn up and put in half ass performances. You can't really put that blame on the owner or on Richo. Madge has to take the blame for those performances?

To me it seems It has come to a point where he has too much of an emotional connection to some of the players that he is too scared to drop one of them. He keeps selecting the same losing 17 week in week out, keeps delivering the same "we just didn't complete our sets", "opposition teams build pressure off our errors". The game that gave me faith in Madge was the game where he fired up after the broncos loss. He openly critiqued the game and the refs because it was total bullshit. It gave me hope that he still had passion.

But nevertheless he has failed to implement the same passion into the players and the week after we were absolutely destroyed by manly. We need a new coach that is going to reignite some of our players. One that isn't scared to drop underperformers, one that is willing to have a cleanout if it's required, one that can inspire players and not have them walking out because they're unhappy.

I can guarantee you this club will suffer more severe losses in future stars if we don't start turning things around soon.

I don't mind giving Madge another season even after saying all this. No coach could of coached our team into the finals this year. It's a reality. If our recruitment/retention and position on the ladder next year is shocking however then I would be saying goodbye to Madge.
What i was trying to say is, crowe has contributed to our current roster with an obsession with anyone named Burgess. He has seemingly undermined maguire in recent seasons, cut some of Maguires support staff and the people maguire put in place. He has also, it seems, had an effect on the playing group with stuff like the coffs harbour thing which seems to fit a pattern of past incidents.
The reason why players are under performing may vary, but chaos in the back room of a club can be a huge factor. Look at guys who were at Knights in recent seasons, guys like The sims brothers, uate, Bj Leilua, Boyd and tyrone roberts performances have taken a 180 turn since leaving Newcastle and it's troubles behind

Rabbits20

Immortal
Pommy
2014: Premiers
2015: 7th,went out first game without a whimper.
2016: 12th
2017: Currently 14th,thank god for the turmoil at Newcastle and the Tigpies.
2018: Are things looking any better,unless Gagai can turn himself into 2 quality front rowers and a few quality forwards coming off the bench I honestly can't see it.
With this rapid decline in a business,if I was a shareholder I'd be wanting answers.
Don't bother with this guy.....

You'll get nowhere.....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
What i was trying to say is, crowe has contributed to our current roster with an obsession with anyone named Burgess. He has seemingly undermined maguire in recent seasons, cut some of Maguires support staff and the people maguire put in place. He has also, it seems, had an effect on the playing group with stuff like the coffs harbour thing which seems to fit a pattern of past incidents.
The reason why players are under performing may vary, but chaos in the back room of a club can be a huge factor. Look at guys who were at Knights in recent seasons, guys like The sims brothers, uate, Bj Leilua, Boyd and tyrone roberts performances have taken a 180 turn since leaving Newcastle and it's troubles behind

But using that logic the Burgess twins underperforming makes zero sense. If Crowe is the one that loves them then why are they playing like shit?

But that's mostly because they're surrounded by quality and better coaches. I haven't seen a player from our side willingly back Madge for a long time. I remember when Barrett was in a lot of trouble all of the manly boys came out and had full support of him..

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

And you think Crowe has made this worse?
Because prior to Crowe was a nice settled club behind the scenes?

Bunnies_Pride

Juniors
And you think Crowe has made this worse?
Because prior to Crowe was a nice settled club behind the scenes?
We shifted one set of problems for another.

It's like saying having a ute tray full of rotten fruit ain't bad because you used to have a tray load of shit. Yes it's better and could be (and in the past was ) worse, but it doesn't mean things are currently ideal

Bunnies_Pride

Juniors
But using that logic the Burgess twins underperforming makes zero sense. If Crowe is the one that loves them then why are they playing like shit?

But that's mostly because they're surrounded by quality and better coaches. I haven't seen a player from our side willingly back Madge for a long time. I remember when Barrett was in a lot of trouble all of the manly boys came out and had full support of him..
The reason the burgess twins aren't playing good is because they simply aren't good players. They had their one trick, power running, but once every team in the nrl figured out how to negate that, which they did by mid 2015, they have been poor.

Pommy

Coach
We shifted one set of problems for another.

It's like saying having a ute tray full of rotten fruit ain't bad because you used to have a tray load of shit. Yes it's better and could be (and in the past was ) worse, but it doesn't mean things are currently ideal

One set of problems for another?

Crowes first ten full seasons,

2007 7th Qualifying Finalists
2008 14th Did Not Qualify
2009 10th
2010 9th
2011 10th
2012 3rd Preliminary Finalists
2013 2nd Preliminary Finalists
2014 3rd Premiers
2015 7th Qualifying Finalists
2016 12th Did Not Qualify

The previous ten.

1997 11th
1998 18th
1999 12th
2000 Excluded from competition for being a mess
2001Excluded from competition for being a mess
2002 14th Did Not Qualify
2003 Wooden Spoon (15th)
2004 Wooden Spoon (15th)
2005 13th
2006 Wooden Spoon (15th)

Its almost an identical swap.......

The reason the burgess twins aren't playing good is because they simply aren't good players. They had their one trick, power running, but once every team in the nrl figured out how to negate that, which they did by mid 2015, they have been poor.

Why are you pinning the twins on Crowe, have you seen Madges style of play? The twins are exactly the sort of players Madge would have wanted.
They are crap I won't deny but to pretend Madge has had them dumped upon him is utter shit.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This is a game thread for our match with the Sharks, some of this dribble should be taken elsewhere!!!....

Results don't impact my membership, I'll keep renewing......

Stuff the bandwagoners........

Travitoh

First Grade
History suggests we look for change then!

I don't hate the idea of trying Cook at 5-8 at some point tomorrow night. I feel he has the attributes for it, just his mentality would be the question.

I would like to see us trial a few things in preparation for next season

1. Goodwin
2. AJ
3. Jennings
4. Hunt when fit
5. Burns
6. Cody/Cook
7. AR
8. Sam
9. Farah
10. Tom
11. Crichton
12. Fuimaono
13. Clark or Turner

14. Cook/Cody
15. Murray
16. Musgrove
17. Sutton

18. Cherrington
19. Turner/Clark
20. George
21. Gray

I'm almost prepared to wash my hands of George. There is a spot for him but he needs to put some real form together at the Bears. Cherrington not far away and will be best 17 next year with another preseason under his belt.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
I don't hate the idea of trying Cook at 5-8 at some point tomorrow night. I feel he has the attributes for it, just his mentality would be the question.

I would like to see us trial a few things in preparation for next season

1. Goodwin
2. AJ
3. Jennings
4. Hunt when fit
5. Burns
6. Cody/Cook
7. AR
8. Sam
9. Farah
10. Tom
11. Crichton
12. Fuimaono
13. Clark or Turner

14. Cook/Cody
15. Murray
16. Musgrove
17. Sutton

18. Cherrington
19. Turner/Clark
20. George
21. Gray

I'm almost prepared to wash my hands of George. There is a spot for him but he needs to put some real form together at the Bears. Cherrington not far away and will be best 17 next year with another preseason under his belt.

What about Cook at fullback with Cody back to 5/8? Any takers???