What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Berrigan

LeagueNut

First Grade
Like I said in the other thread, it'll be interesting to see what his goals are for the year(s) ahead.

If he wants his QLD or AUS jerseys back and gets his form up to that standard then he'd be a weekly fixture in the team - and good on him.

If he's just supplementing his retirement income then I'd expect to see him for maybe half a dozen matches, playing more of a background mentoring role.

What I wouldn't want to see is Berrigan struggling for form but still being picked every week.

I think he's a better signing than our "marquee" signing for the 2009 season though. ;-)

Martli

Coach
I think it's a good signing; it's a one year contract with an option for a second. It's not like that cap space was going to be used on anything else this year so we might as well chuck it Berrigan's way. It's not going to compromise future recruitment or push players out so non-issue to me.

One Warrior

Bench
I think it's a good signing; it's a one year contract with an option for a second. It's not like that cap space was going to be used on anything else this year so we might as well chuck it Berrigan's way. It's not going to compromise future recruitment or push players out so non-issue to me.

This.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

Im not an expert but just asking.

Could have the Warriors front loaded some of the players contracts.
To leave more in the kitty for future years.

With a backrowers such as:

Ukuma Taai
Steve Rapira
Mannering
Brown
Mateo
Matulino
Lilyman
Henry
Robinson

devoid

Juniors
Im not an expert but just asking.

Could have the Warriors front loaded some of the players contracts.
To leave more in the kitty for future years.

With a backrowers such as:

Ukuma Taai
Steve Rapira
Mannering
Brown
Mateo
Matulino
Lilyman
Henry
Robinson

Highly unlikely - I have never heard of any front-loading of contracts to be practiced at all - eg. "We pay you 300k this year, then the minimum 55k for the next 3 seasons, so budget wisely."

It doesn't really make any sense, as you are wanting to encourage performance long term from players, and an escalating pay-packet is more likely do that than a declining contract.

The reverse is the practice - "We only have 125,000k of cap space left this year, but we can bump that up to 300k next season if you sign on..." et cetera.

Is that what you are asking?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Highly unlikely - I have never heard of any front-loading of contracts to be practiced at all - eg. "We pay you 300k this year, then the minimum 55k for the next 3 seasons, so budget wisely."

It doesn't really make any sense, as you are wanting to encourage performance long term from players, and an escalating pay-packet is more likely do that than a declining contract.

The reverse is the practice - "We only have 125,000k of cap space left this year, but we can bump that up to 300k next season if you sign on..." et cetera.

Is that what you are asking?

It doesnt have to be that extreme.
Just say they are on a 250k contract for two more years.
Pay them 300k this year and 200k next year.

Well not if they come off contract in 2012 which im sure plenty of will.
All so time value of money invest now worth more later lol.

Although it isnt reported im pretty sure it would practised in the NRL.
Why spend all your money for the sake of it.

Clubs like eels should do that negotiate with Hayne to get topped a little more this year to free up some more cash this year.

league players are no sale people. in regards to motivation to perform.

Skinner

Coach
So....they have signed another retiree, despite the talent that they had coming through.....and most on here reckon Bell is doing a good job.

Tell me honestly guys, do you think they are in a position to win the premiership in 2011 ???????

Sam_the_man

First Grade
If Berrigan takes over the majority of the hooker minutes we'll go better than we did last season which has got to be a good thing.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Not sold on him walking right into the team.

However its not a bad move.

If he plays like he did for the Broncos and not in England then it could be a master signing, especially if he wants an SOO return.

However, if he plays like he did in England then the Warriors wouldnt have lost much, i mean the cap wasn't being used, he's on a one year deal and if he really doesn't perform then he wont play.

He'll either be a very great signing or a flop imo, and considering a) who is available at this point, b) his versatility c) who we have if he flops and d) the fact hes on a one year deal then we havn't lost out on much.

I find it strange that everyone brings up Likiliki, Ione and Seluini but do any of you guys know these blokes personally? They themselves may have wanted to move to Australia, like alot of young NZers are doing. It may not be a case of us not wanting them but rather they may not want to be a part of us. I honestly think the one from the three we will miss is Seluini, but we already have Heremaia and Mara (now Berrigan) so i'd rather him have a better shot at the Panthers to encourage his development, who knows it may pay off for the Kiwis in a couple of years ;)

Iafeta

Referee
So....they have signed another retiree, despite the talent that they had coming through.....and most on here reckon Bell is doing a good job.

Tell me honestly guys, do you think they are in a position to win the premiership in 2011 ???????

I wouldn't label him a retiree. What I think we're getting is a 200 odd first grade veteran with 25 rep games for players to learn from, aside from offering support for two areas we're comparatively weak at: centre and hooker. What happened if Heremaia or Mara went down injured? Who was next to play hooker? A makeshift hooker like Elijah Taylor? Try to reconvert Brown to hooker even though his body shape has definitely changed? Seriously, what is the issue?

I get more disappointed with signings like Rovelli, Kirk, Crockett. I don't see anything remotely like that here.

Jesbass

First Grade
I wouldn't label him a retiree. What I think we're getting is a 200 odd first grade veteran with 25 rep games for players to learn from, aside from offering support for two areas we're comparatively weak at: centre and hooker. What happened if Heremaia or Mara went down injured? Who was next to play hooker? A makeshift hooker like Elijah Taylor? Try to reconvert Brown to hooker even though his body shape has definitely changed? Seriously, what is the issue?

I get more disappointed with signings like Rovelli, Kirk, Crockett. I don't see anything remotely like that here.

(Sorry - the pedant in me just wouldn't let it go!)

Rich102

Staff member

No! Hopefully a top 8 finish. Hopefully a more coherent style of football. Hopefully we sign a couple of centres.

Izz

Bench
Yes. Balance of the team is just about right, imo. I'm not sold on the Berrigan signing either, but i don't think it's a killer blow to the team.

so nafe, likiliki and ione would be key in the warriors being successful in 2011?
Nope.

Personally, i don't think likiliki will set first-grade on fire. Needs to add a touch of finesse to his game. Right now he seems too determined to prove how tough he is in contact situations, and has limited other ball skills. First-grade centres will shut him down every week.

nafe and ione will go well at first-grade level, i reckon. But ione would've had a hard time breaking into our starting 17 and i actually think nafe would've too.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Gee there some ridiculous stuff said on here. I honestly as I've said before say how in anyway is this a bad signing?? We only had two hookers, one who has only played what 3-4 NRL games? We had a shortage in the centre position, so we go out and sign a former rep player who is only 32 not 34 or something who covers BOTH position on a short term deal so not tieing big cash up on it or holding back the 'developing of talent' who will bring that coverage, experience and obvisouly not a half bad player himself and people whinge about it!?!? And then Skinner says we aren't in a position to win the comp(effectively the signings we just made and the people we let go and is making that claim in this thread) so we can't win the comp because of Nafe leaving and Berrigan entering? Give me a f**king break. Someone please create a Magpies forum on here so we don't have to listen to his rubbish.