What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Kenny-Dowall not guilty of assaulting former partner Jess Peris

Shorty

Staff member
Nobody is blaming the alleged victim here.

The reality is, it is so easy for a vindictive woman to create a scenario in which police are forced to take action (and initial caution will favour the alleged victim). The courts generally get things right but the accused has to endure months of trauma fighting the allegations and having their name tarnished before a resolution is found.
Ironic because you do understand that a victim of domestic abuse goes through exactly the same thing?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes, that's because according to these people racism equals prejudice plus power.

If you don't have power you can't be racist, no matter how much you hate white people for being white.

If you don't have any power your racism is meaningless outside of it not being very nice. If one has a lot of power than it suddenly can influence society.

I include poor whites in this. I don't really care if some yokel goes around hating black people (although if it turns violent that is another thing) but a judge who hates black people....well that might matter.

firechild

First Grade
Ironic because you do understand that a victim of domestic abuse goes through exactly the same thing?

Of course. Again, I've not said a negative word about the alleged victim. I've maintained the same position all along, that we should wait until the outcome of the court case before casting judgement on either of them.

However, why should the suffering of an innocent person falsely accused be downplayed if, according to you, it is exactly the same as that of an actual victim?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Aren't poor/working class white people usually the stereotype for racism in this country?

Yes and they are possibly racist but there power extends mostly to getting mad and attacking people (bad) and voting in racist parties (also bad but also a failure of the left)

It doesn't really matter if they are racist. Its not pleasant to be yelled at on a train by some piece of shit but its also not the end of the world. Society would be nicer without train yellers (and train yellers are subjected to public humiliation in the age of youtube) now days.

But if we just focus on the train yellers we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for doing....nothing. Institutional problems are a much much much much bigger problem than a guy on the train but its the guy on the train that makes the news. The guy on the train is often suffering from the same institutional problems as the bloke he is yelling at. He is just blaming the wrong person.

Just my opinion and all.

saint pebba

Coach
SKD has the right to be viewed as innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. Until such time then he should be able to go about his life as per normal.

If he is found guilty of all these charges, the NRL have to ban him for life.

Other players have been suspended for a year for one of incidents however these charges are more severe and therefore so should the punishment.

For those making comments about the alledged victim, stop and think what your reaction would be if someone said those things about you wife, sister, daughter etc.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Of course. Again, I've not said a negative word about the alleged victim. I've maintained the same position all along, that we should wait until the outcome of the court case before casting judgement on either of them.

However, why should the suffering of an innocent person falsely accused be downplayed if, according to you, it is exactly the same as that of an actual victim?

They shouldn't but the lady in question isn't actually accused of anything where SKD has been charged so its a bit mud raking IMO.

I fully, fully support the concept of innocence until proven guilty, I absolutely support an incredibly difficult to satisfy burden of proof. I absolutely support the roosters in whatever decision they make and I think SKD is entitled to play until the justice system finds him guilty.

What I'm not so keen on is the but but women are vindictive and its soo easy to make up a load of toss and have it accepted. The rates of false accusations in all crimes is pretty low.

Shorty

Staff member
They should be treated equally, however you seem to be only highlighting falsely accused men.
You seem to carry on like this is actually common, it's barely 3% of all claims.

firechild

First Grade
If he is found guilty of all these charges, the NRL have to ban him for life.

Other players have been suspended for a year for one of incidents however these charges are more severe and therefore so should the punishment.

More numerous but we don't know the details as to whether they are more severe or not. Robert Lui's crimes were severe and he very quickly found a deal with the Cowboys. Fudge Packer's crimes were severe and he may be allowed back into the NRL. I don't agree with either but we need consistency.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I don't think players should be banned for life unless it's ridiculous. Once a person serves a sentence they are fit to play rugby league. They ain't working in a school they are running at other blokes for 80 minutes.

Last Week

Bench
I don't think players should be banned for life unless it's ridiculous. Once a person serves a sentence they are fit to play rugby league. They ain't working in a school they are running at other blokes for 80 minutes.

I agree with that.

I can see the stance that the NRL needs to protect their image, but I really don't think it's right that the NRL effectively punishes a player for criminal behavior when that's the job of the courts. It's duplicitous.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Aren't poor/working class white people usually the stereotype for racism in this country?

Hard to tell when the cowards are hiding their faces I guess. why are racists ashamed to be seen in public protesting their beliefs I wonder?

inline_protests_2_1aqleun-1aqleus.jpg

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
493921-d72032cc-da7a-11e4-90d8-bc21b5c83438.jpg

Looking through the racist rallies photos I think it would be fair to say there doesn't look to be many professors or Mensa candidates in the crowd lol.

magpie4ever

First Grade
PR, ridiculous photos - the same can be said for the supposed anti-racism mob - faces were covered.

I dont know either SKD. Jessica or what went down, what I do know is I don't support perpetrators of domestic violence.

But my gut feel is (given the current news mode of DV (royal comission, politics) in society), that if he is found guilty the system will make an example of him (as a professional fairly well known league player) - jail time, deportation if he doesn't have Aussie citizenship, as well as being a Kiwi.

It is bloody sad for all concerned.

Valheru

Coach
Fine to treat innocent until proven guilty, but to go and try digging up dirt on the woman is a whole different kind of low.

So it’s ok for everyone to know who SKD is but any information about the alleged victim is taboo?