What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Kenny-Dowall not guilty of assaulting former partner Jess Peris

magpie4ever

First Grade
As I have said continuously, it doesn't matter how much you are baited (at times) blokes have got to walk away.

darcy

Juniors
She looks about 50kg wringing wet. What could she do to a rugby player twice her size?

People have arguments all the time, and sometimes they get heated. That does not mean that the bigger and stronger of the pair can use physical violence on the other.

As far as I know it is not an offence to scream and shout, although it might still be regarded as domestic violence.

The difference is that unless a woman is holding a weapon, it is unlikely that a big strong footballer would feel physically threatened if she's screaming and shouting. The situation is quite different if its the man doing the ranting. There is genuine physical threat. It's part of being a man that you mustn't use your size and strength in this manner.

What if the man is trying to leave the scene of the heated argument and the woman in blocking his way and is in his face?
Is he allowed to try to move her aside gently?...or does he just have to stand there being abused?

TheVelourFog

First Grade
I did.
You think there are no male victims of domestic violence and abuse?

I do not think that

You think it's ok for women in relationships to shout and scream at their partners?

It depends on the situation. In general, I am not in favour of screaming and shouting at one another. Seeing as how the volume decreases in proportion to the distance from the sound, perhaps they should utilise their ambulatory abilities

What if a man did that to a woman?

Without justification? She should probably leave him because he sounds like a twat

TheFrog

Coach
It also doesn't mean that a 50kg wringing wet woman can't exact physical abuse on a man though, of any size mind you.

Quite right, and the man is free to do what Ms Peris has done and make a complaint to the Police. He is not, however, entitled to belt the woman.

cooko

Juniors
As I remember it, GI admitted to assaulting his girlfriend, ...with no conviction being recorded against him.
From memory the assault he did was that he pushed her away and she sustained an injury of some sort, maybe muscular or hit something...the case was some time ago.
I can't post links yet.

As I remember it she was "in his face and was holding a knife at the time"...or the like.
She accompanied him to court[they had reconciled by then].
She had spoken to the cops by then I think and given them all the true details of what occurred.

Tricky what a man is supposed to do in a situation like that.

I believe the court's judgement was exactly correct...as was the NRL's.

I think Daniel Christie and Thomas Kelly may have sustained an injury of some sort, maybe muscular or hit something too.

Doesn't really matter if you push someone away does it.

Shorty

Staff member
As I have said continuously, it doesn't matter how much you are baited (at times) blokes have got to walk away.
Been disgusted at comments in this thread to be honest, I notice LU almost always takes the footballer's side, regardless of anything (apart from a handful of posters).

Fine to treat innocent until proven guilty, but to go and try digging up dirt on the woman is a whole different kind of low.

bileduct

Coach
She looks about 50kg wringing wet. What could she do to a rugby player twice her size?
Cut off his penis while he's sleeping?

People have arguments all the time, and sometimes they get heated. That does not mean that the bigger and stronger of the pair can use physical violence on the other.
And it doesn't give the smaller of the pair free reign to attack the other with objects, does it.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Been disgusted at comments in this thread to be honest, I notice LU almost always takes the footballer's side, regardless of anything (apart from a handful of posters).

Fine to treat innocent until proven guilty, but to go and try digging up dirt on the woman is a whole different kind of low.

were probably turned down by a woman at some point and have never got over it

magpie4ever

First Grade

Look blokes are not going to win the PR debate about domestic voilence (because of the normal size difference) so it doesn't matter what happened in the lead up (baiting, taunting etc) - the media and the legal system will only look at the end result - that is why I say "real" man need to just walk away - cause you can't win.

Same with racism for the Anglos -others can call you a white prick, honky, skippy etc (that is allowable) but as soon as you make a comment on colour or race you are a racist. You can't win the PR campaign.

PS: What happened to Loudy?

firechild

First Grade
then don't defend men hitting women, try and justify their actions or degrade the victim

simple

Nobody is blaming the alleged victim here.

The reality is, it is so easy for a vindictive woman to create a scenario in which police are forced to take action (and initial caution will favour the alleged victim). The courts generally get things right but the accused has to endure months of trauma fighting the allegations and having their name tarnished before a resolution is found.

I'm not saying that is the case here but given her past, it is fair to assume that SKD is innocent until a court finds otherwise. Regardless of the outcome, SKD will have to carry this reputation around for the rest of his life. People have a tendency to allow their personal bias (political, racial, even based on their footy team) get in the way of accepting facts.

bileduct

Coach
Same with racism for the Anglos -others can call you a white prick, honky, skippy etc (that is allowable) but as soon as you make a comment on colour or race you are a racist. You can't win the PR campaign.
Yes, that's because according to these people racism equals prejudice plus power.

If you don't have power you can't be racist, no matter how much you hate white people for being white.