What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Kenny-Dowall not guilty of assaulting former partner Jess Peris

Fun fact and an aside to this thread - I made out with Jess Peris when I was about 16-17.

May have dodged a bullet here lol.

Last Week

Bench
Possibly - but more than likely there is an understandable bias against Rugby League players which make it more likely for the Police to believe people when making allegations against them. Understandable when you consider past cases and the fact that these guys are incredibly strong and play a violent sport. (I'm not saying it is right - just I can see how conclusions are reached)

There is also a political pressure to ensure that claims are followed up on. Baring in mind the fact there is so much domestic violence in Australia and the fact that one woman dies every single week in Australia at the hands of someone she knows, this is not a bad thing. The fact the court case actually proceeded however does demonstrate a lack of judgement by the Police and the prosecution service.

If only other people with far better claims were taken as seriously by the authorities.

Regarding your first paragraph, do you honestly think that because SKD is a Rugby League player, that it influenced their decision on whether he gets charged or not? Come on. It's no like Police think of Rugby League players to be in organised crime.

There was evidence which implicated SKD for 11 domestic violence offences. That's huge. There was also injuries that she took photos of wasn't there?

With all that, it would be negligent not to bring the matter before the courts. If it wasn't, it'd be seen along the lines of Victorian Police protecting AFL players.

And how was there a lack on judgement from the Police for proceeding with this? Oh SKD denied it? Someone accused of a crime denies it? That's a first? Oh of course, her mother did some dodgy things in the past. Of course all children are the same at their parents. Oh she approached the Roosters for compensation? Of course, the Police knew that before.

If Police wanted to make a headline, there are alot more interesting stories they could release than this.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
There was evidence which implicated SKD for 11 domestic violence offences. That's huge. There was also injuries that she took photos of wasn't there?

No - that was a key part in the dismissal of most charges. She had no photo evidence, no record of complaint to anyone, nothing except saying it happened months later.

Lambretta

First Grade
Regarding your first paragraph, do you honestly think that because SKD is a Rugby League player, that it influenced their decision on whether he gets charged or not? Come on. It's no like Police think of Rugby League players to be in organised crime.

With all that, it would be negligent not to bring the matter before the courts. If it wasn't, it'd be seen along the lines of Victorian Police protecting AFL players.

If Police wanted to make a headline, there are alot more interesting stories they could release than this.

It wasn't because the Police wanted a headline - but when assessing a case the Police have to look at the likelihood of the claim being genuine

If you have a 6 stone streak of piss - it's harder to imagine them getting someone in a headlock, bashing their heads against a wall or any of the other accusations levelled at SKD.

Rugby League players are big men, involved in a violent sport and there is a history of violent actions and a loss of self control associated with them mainly driven by a media agenda that has tainted them over the years.

The perception may not be correct, but it is there and I believe it influenced the Police when considering their case.

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
Where's the apology from Baird and co wanting him stood down and or suspended for life. A classic example of why players should not be suspended and or stood down by the NRL until the court result is known. SKD stood himself down in any case for 7 or so weeks. Hopeful people won't be on his back at games/social media etc and will accept what was the righful decision of the court.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

And how was there a lack on judgement from the Police for proceeding with this? Oh SKD denied it? Someone accused of a crime denies it? That's a first? Oh of course, her mother did some dodgy things in the past. Of course all children are the same at their parents. Oh she approached the Roosters for compensation? Of course, the Police knew that before.

Quite frankly this post is a load of absolute horseshit but I suspect you are a just a troll anyway. It is also quite obvious that despite your lengthy post, you have absolutely no idea about the situation that you are talking about. There was zero physical evidence provided. A complete lack of evidence to support the 11 charges, 8 which were completely dismissed by the magistrate, the remaining 3 for which he was found not guilty.

bileduct

Coach
Police interviewed other witnesses. There was a statement from the training partner who saw the bruise on Peris' arm. SKD admitted that an incident did occur in which he grabbed her arm tight enough to cause bruising.

That's enough for the cops to proceed with the complaint, particularly under heightened scrutiny around how police handle DV complaints and the fact that Jessica Peris is the daughter of a current Senator.

DiegoNT

First Grade
SKD is a try scoring machine. The Queensland pretender teams cannot afford to have him in the Roosters team on October 4th. That is why they have pushed this Peris woman to take SKD down now.

Just having a browse through this thread, a lot of people made idiots of themselves with comments, but this one takes the cake lol

TheDalek079

Bench
he was right though. If SKDsy hadn't had this awful saga clouding his mind then he would have been unstoppable in the final series.

Last Week

Bench
Quite frankly this post is a load of absolute horseshit but I suspect you are a just a troll anyway. It is also quite obvious that despite your lengthy post, you have absolutely no idea about the situation that you are talking about. There was zero physical evidence provided. A complete lack of evidence to support the 11 charges, 8 which were completely dismissed by the magistrate, the remaining 3 for which he was found not guilty.

Here's a fun fact, physical evidence isn't the only evidence needed for an offence to occur! Shock! Horror!

And as was mentioned earlier, someone else saw a bruise on her arm and SKD admitted to grabbing her to the point where bruising could occur. Shock! Horror!

It's quite clear that you have no idea what you're talking about and I suspect that you're just a troll. Or you're STD's current squeeze.

Serious again for a second, no I don't know the finer details of the case. Neither do you believe it or not, despite what you've read. I'm just not that interested. What I do have a good knowledge on is the judicial process and I know criminal law quite well.

Valheru

Coach
Here's a fun fact, physical evidence isn't the only evidence needed for an offence to occur! Shock! Horror!

And as was mentioned earlier, someone else saw a bruise on her arm and SKD admitted to grabbing her to the point where bruising could occur. Shock! Horror!

It's quite clear that you have no idea what you're talking about and I suspect that you're just a troll. Or you're STD's current squeeze.

Serious again for a second, no I don't know the finer details of the case. Neither do you believe it or not, despite what you've read. I'm just not that interested. What I do have a good knowledge on is the judicial process and I know criminal law quite well.

You are getting your sequence of events wrong, best to know the facts before you post.

As for the bruise on the arm, that was the one piece of physical evidence she had and the defence had a witness that testified she had told him/her it was contracted through other means.

Of course she could have been lying but who would know with her. It was only at court that SKD admitted that the only physical confrontation they had (according to him) was the arm grabbing incident. I am happy to be proven wrong but I haven't read anywhere that he said it did or could have caused that bruise.

adamkungl

Immortal

The finer details of the case are available to read in the judgement. If you're not interested maybe you should exit the debate

Latest posts