What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens names team vs Roosters

TimmyB

Juniors
As I said, bugger off. You've got nothing. You've ignored the post asking for what you've wanted without offering anything yourself. All you are is what you're rallying against. Give some evidence that I (and others) are wrong in what we're saying, other than trying to discredit us by bullsh*t reasoning, and we'll start listening to you instead of thinking you're a piss poor attempt at a wanker hypocrite.
Westie, I am criticising you and your general demeanour. Your arrogance and belief that you know more than every single poster on here and every single figure in the game. Where exactly is the hypocrisy? I'm hardly showing any arrogance in pointing that out.

As for offering something myself, well, I've already put to you that were the most potent attacking team in the competition; the most linebreaks and the most tries. I asked how that renders us completely f**ked, or why it means our right side needs a whole lot of work in attack. You failed to respond.

As for myself, I believe there are a number of aspects of our game that need to be worked on:

1) Winning the arm wrestle in the forwards. Opposing teams continued to make too many metres in attack last year. I'm hopeful that Folkes' work will help with our line speed and help us in this area.
2) Kicking game. Kicking game has been pretty piss poor for the last three years. Too much pressure is placed on Robbie Farah kicking from dummy half and we seem to score very few tries from attacking kicks.
3) General defence. If your attack is the best in the game and you're not winning matches, it's pretty obvious the defence is sub par. We bring our defence up to the top 6 teams and we'll be sweet.
4) Goalkicking. I feel a lot of the matches we lost last year could have been rectified by better goalkicking. Not necessarily because we lost by a small margin, but because it destroyed momentum or kept us behind in the context of the match.
5) Plays under pressure. This is the big one. Too many times the team capitulated under pressure or made stupid decisions. Farah & Marshall were particularly guilty of this. I can't blame Sheens for the general inability of the team to execute under pressure.

I personally believe every single one of these is a bigger issue than any perceived lack of potency on the right side. I'll say it one more time, topping the competition in tries scores is not indicative of a team which needs work on its attack.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't believe he's selected Heighington at Lock and Fulton at second row.

I read an article today which has benji commenting on how much a freak of nature Lui is and how he can't wait to team up with him permanently this year.

We had Matt Head - didn't use him
We had Josh Lewis - didn't use him
We'll have Taumata in reggies all year this year, while we run in at 9th place again after using Marshall, Farah, Moltzen, Fitzhenry and probably even Fulton in the halves

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
What claims did I make? I claimed only one thing; that your arrogance without having ever played or coached the game is astounding. You replied with an even more arrogant response and failed to detail your achievements in the game. IE: I didn't have to justify my claim, you did it for me.
There are several coaches in the history of the game, some reasonably successful too, who never played Rugby League.

This mentality of "What would you know, you never played the game" is the most brain-dead and insanely stupid comments one could make.

yappy

Bench
I can't believe he's selected Heighington at Lock and Fulton at second row.

I read an article today which has benji commenting on how much a freak of nature Lui is and how he can't wait to team up with him permanently this year.

We had Matt Head - didn't use him
We had Josh Lewis - didn't use him
We'll have Taumata in reggies all year this year, while we run in at 9th place again after using Marshall, Farah, Moltzen, Fitzhenry and probably even Fulton in the halves

The new way of thinking about forwards these days (and I believe this is the way Tim looks at it) isn't having props, second rowers and locks, but wide and tight forwards. Essentially it's the same old thing, but the second rowers are your wide forwards (essentially big centres) with your props and lock as your tight forwards, doing the hit ups off the ruck and defending tight in.

That would explain why Fulton is in 12 and Heighington in 13. Fults and Ellis will be defending out wider and running on the fringes with Heighno and the Props working up the middle. Doesn't really change much, it's just a number and there's no reason to assume Liam won't pack into the back of any scrums.

TimmyB

Juniors
There are several coaches in the history of the game, some reasonably successful too, who never played Rugby League.

This mentality of "What would you know, you never played the game" is the most brain-dead and insanely stupid comments one could make.

Well for a start I doubt there's been many first grade coach who has never played ANY level of the game. Secondly I asked Westie if he has ever coached. He didn't answer. I very much doubt there's ever been a person who has coached at a high level without ever having played, or at least coached junior teams.

Would you agree?

TimmyB

Juniors
Thanks for coming. 6 should have been: score more trys than the opposition.

Good job brother. I'll take this as an acknowledgement that you can't justify your assertion the best attacking team in the competition needs to work on its right hand side attack?

westie

Bench
We need to work on our right side attack - not for points - which would help, but for the repeat sets which come with trys and field position in the crucial parts of the game... not when it's all too late or when we've run away with a match. There's been a few idiot coaches (Cullen and Royce to name a few) who have recognised the importance of attack as the best form of defence in the last few years but been unable to execute it.

The fact of the matter is that when we need to score trys, we just don't really do it. You want a recent example of it happening? In the All-stars game the NRL kept going to Benji's left side when Lockyer was off, and he was shut down. There was nothing on the right. The All-stars lost a close game. On another day, they might have scored 40 like us. But when it counted, they, and we, have nothing more than one option.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Can't believe you cited an example of a different, one-off, trained for a week, team to back up a claim made about our team. Are you serious?

Vicious

Bench
The new way of thinking about forwards these days (and I believe this is the way Tim looks at it) isn't having props, second rowers and locks, but wide and tight forwards. Essentially it's the same old thing, but the second rowers are your wide forwards (essentially big centres) with your props and lock as your tight forwards, doing the hit ups off the ruck and defending tight in.

That would explain why Fulton is in 12 and Heighington in 13. Fults and Ellis will be defending out wider and running on the fringes with Heighno and the Props working up the middle. Doesn't really change much, it's just a number and there's no reason to assume Liam won't pack into the back of any scrums.

Yappy is spot on. If you look through the team lists, more and more sides are now naming props in the number 13 jersey. The trend seems to be trying to eliminate the second rowers doing too many hard yards to allow them to play more as the old style inside centres. It wasn`t so along ago that most teams played their lock like a second 5/8, but it has now changed and most sides play their fullback as a second 5/8, hence the reason I don`t think we`ll see much of Lote at fullback, I reckon he`ll either play wing or centre.

westie

Bench
Can't believe you cited an example of a different, one-off, trained for a week, team to back up a claim made about our team. Are you serious?

How was Benji's performance any different to what he dishes up for us? All he tried to do all night was skip the 3rd in defender - just as usual.

Then compare it to his performances for NZ and you can see what a halfback and different structure does for him.

Relevance? There's two perfect, independent examples of Benji's style of play being both effective and ineffective. Why is it we are going with the ineffective style?

westie

Bench
Yappy is spot on. If you look through the team lists, more and more sides are now naming props in the number 13 jersey. The trend seems to be trying to eliminate the second rowers doing too many hard yards to allow them to play more as the old style inside centres. It wasn`t so along ago that most teams played their lock like a second 5/8, but it has now changed and most sides play their fullback as a second 5/8, hence the reason I don`t think we`ll see much of Lote at fullback, I reckon he`ll either play wing or centre.

Ellis will start left, Fulton right and CH in the middle.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well for a start I doubt there's been many first grade coach who has never played ANY level of the game.
Alan Jones to name one.
Secondly I asked Westie if he has ever coached. He didn't answer.
No answer=no confirmation. So why do you assume a confirmation? Pretty childish if you ask me.
I very much doubt there's ever been a person who has coached at a high level without ever having played, or at least coached junior teams.

Would you agree?
No.

Alan Jones.

meltiger

First Grade
lol Given Alan Jones DESTROYED Balmain, that is hardly a ringing endorsement for coaches who haven't played the game...

Latest posts