What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens

Tigerm

First Grade
Brisbane are playing good football and I don't believe they have been given credit for their play.

There were crucial errors such as the Ryan spilled ball at critical times.

I still support the team and back the players. I would however like to see quite a few changes. Finau and one of the young Fijian wingers need to be promoted. Fulton is still making the same ball handling errors he did years ago and really our younger forwards offer more and cost less.
Brisbane did play well, but we didn't. Sheens was quoted in the SMH as saying we didn't kick well? he is right on this, we do need to start attacks as close to the oppositions line as we can get, but f**k a cat, what is he doing about it?
His constant team changes must be making the players dizzy. I mean earlier posts have said it, you need to consolidate combinations especially when you are running with injuries, surely.
I am starting to campaign for a selection committee, instead of the H coach being sole selector, can you imagine what Blocker, Benny & Tommy would be thinking about the team right now?
After 600 odd games the man must surely know his business, but the strange selections, have always (as far as I can remember) been his trait & he must answer with his reasons as to why he did it (maybe not to the public, but certainly to the club) or the club think about taking it away from him, not likely to happen, but they have to try something.
Consider this:
Since Prince left over 4 seasons ago, we still do not have a settled half / 5/8 combination, why?
Since Hodgkinson left, we still don't have a reconised goal kicker, why?
For this season, we brought no recognised NRL player (Utai was a gift wasn't he), why?
McKinnon was brought in as a stop gap, but he was also injured with similer problems to what he has now, we don't seem to have a plan B, why?
Payten, is not right, (agree he shouldn't be sacked outright) but surely Sheens has known this for some time & not taken any action to have a replacement ready, cause he is still playing (at least Skando could run), why?
Seems to me, we had a small mobile team, now we have a big slow team.
I, like all who contribute here hope we can have a good season, but to me, not much is changing.

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I was always pretty happy to have Sheens as a coach but I really think it is high time he left, for his good and the good of the team. All too often he is compared to Bennnett but really, the only comparison is they both have over 600 games and like to bung on the stoic face when interviewed. They never show emotion...give me John Cartwright any time!!!

The huge difference is Bennett, if he didn't win the comp he gave it a mighty big shake. Also, he is ruthless in his selections, just think about when Wally Lewis was coming to an end of his career, Bennett said f**k him off, go with a young gun, hence the rise of Walters. He thought of the team each and every selection. I don't think Bennett has ever had a Beau Ryan or Daniel Fitzhenry in his teams.

Sadly for Sheens, his wins have been with Canberra (which I think my mum could nearly have coached to a premiership when you look at that team) and us. Now think back to 2005 when we were going through a rough patch that season, Sheens excuse was "this is a young side and we are building at the moment, in a few years we will be competitive." Yeah, we win the comp so what does he know.

With a very similar team we don't scratch the top 8 for the next few years. Fluke or not, he couldn't get the best out of this team. It is all or nothing with this guy as not many of his teams have made the top 8 compared to Bennett.

He has to walk away. He is too close to the team now and they are too close to him. They know if they don't perform in all likelihood they will not get punted.

So far as an alternative, you could go with Folkes or Gentle but even they have been around this team. Look to England...but not to Royce.

Just my thoughts....

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
If farkwit was in any other organisation he would get the sack. Pure and simple.
I don't care what success he has from now on. His farkups over the last 6 years are too many to count. Not only in team selections but consistantly soft performances from the side.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I was talking to a fella yesterday afternoon who said he heard on Peter Peter's show Sunday morning that Sheen's was being chased by Wigan and that he hadn't put pen to paper as of yet with us and is weighing up his options. Can any one shed some light on this or is it just a beat up??

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The huge difference is Bennett, if he didn't win the comp he gave it a mighty big shake. Also, he is ruthless in his selections, just think about when Wally Lewis was coming to an end of his career, Bennett said f**k him off, go with a young gun, hence the rise of Walters. He thought of the team each and every selection. I don't think Bennett has ever had a Beau Ryan or Daniel Fitzhenry in his teams.
You're right, I was thinking that myself. Bennett's players know they have to perform, he gets the best out of them and they know they'll be dropped for not putting in. When a team is so inconsistent as the Tigers often are then it's the coaches fault.
AND FOR f**kS SAKE SHEENS, PICK PLAYERS IN THE CORRECT POSITIONS AND LEAVE THEM THERE. Thank you.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
You're right, I was thinking that myself. Bennett's players know they have to perform, he gets the best out of them and they know they'll be dropped for not putting in. When a team is so inconsistent as the Tigers often are then it's the coaches fault.
AND FOR f**kS SAKE SHEENS, PICK PLAYERS IN THE CORRECT POSITIONS AND LEAVE THEM THERE. Thank you.

Just on Bennett, the only mistake I reckon he has done was to put Lockyer at 6. He should have left him at fullback. I know he had Harmichael merkin coming through but I dont reckon he had the same impact at 6. Just my opinion.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talking of Sheens, he's rumoured to replace Elliott at Penrith again

Apparently, Royce Simmons has also been rumoured to replace Elliott as well.

Tigerm

First Grade
Talking of Sheens, he's rumoured to replace Elliott at Penrith again

Apparently, Royce Simmons has also been rumoured to replace Elliott as well.
If that happened, (maybe Sheens & Simmons could go as a package), who would be our option? TBH I like Elliott's forward thinking, never rated Brown or Stuart much, not sure who else is about?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-from-elliott-20110426-1dv6w.html?from=smh_sb
WESTS TIGERS coach Tim Sheens has emerged as a surprise candidate to replace Matthew Elliott at Penrith next season, with the four-time premiership-winning mentor understood to be at the top of a hit list to be discussed at a Panthers board meeting today.
Penrith directors have been considering a new coach for more than a week after voting to sack Elliott on the morning of the April 17 clash with Melbourne but insist no decision has been made on his successor at the end of the season.
As revealed in Saturday's Herald, former St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown, NSW Origin mentor Ricky Stuart and Elliott's assistant, Steve Georgallis, are the other leading contenders for the job.

But the Herald understands that Sheens is the No.1 target of Penrith officials hoping to persuade him to return to the club he played 166 first-grade games for between 1970 and 1982 and began his coaching career with after that, taking the Panthers to their first finals series, in 1985.
Despite the Tigers board endorsing a two-year contract extension for Sheens at a meeting on April 6, the Australian Test coach is yet to finalise his future, and it is understood he was unhappy with reports it was a done deal for him to remain at the club.
English club Widnes, who have been re-admitted to Super League next season, have also targeted Sheens, and he has been linked to the Wigan job made vacant by South Sydney's appointment of Michael Maguire, but the strength of the Australian dollar has made a move overseas less appealing for coaches and players.
Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys was aware of the interest in Sheens but remains confident the man who steered the joint venture to the 2005 premiership will remain at the helm until at least 2013.
''Given Tim's credentials, I am not surprised there is interest in other clubs in Super League and other clubs in the NRL,'' Humphreys said. ''I would expect any club looking for a coach would have him at the top of their list. But I am not concerned with who other clubs want as coach, my only concern is doing what is right for Tim and for us and every conversation I have had with him has been positive. He has invested a lot of himself in our club and I think he can see successful times ahead.''
Penrith chief executive Michael Leary said it was ''100 per cent'' that the club had not yet signed a coach for next year but added: ''The position will obviously be discussed at the meeting in the morning.''
Leary said the decision not to renew Elliott's contract was based on the board's assessment of his performance as coach since taking over from John Lang in 2007.
He said it was best for the club and Elliott that a decision was made early in the season, to give everyone involved plenty of time to make other arrangements for next year.
Asked if the club had a preference among the coaches in the mix for the job, he said: ''I can't say that, can I?''
Asked about Sheens, and whether he was a target, Leary replied: ''You know how many coaches have been linked to us. I'm not prepared to discuss any of those names.''
Brown has another year to run on his contract with Huddersfield but is expected to return home at the end of the Super League season after his wife, Tanya, gave birth to their fourth child, a boy, at the weekend.
Stuart is also looking to resume his NRL coaching career and it is understood Melbourne under-20s coach Dean Pay, who is off contract with the Storm at the end of the season, would be his assistant if he got the job.
Georgallis is also considered a serious option, and Elliott has given the former Magpies, Roosters and Wests Tigers utility his backing to step up to the head coaching job next season.
The Panthers financial situation, illustrated by the fact they do not have a full-time physiotherapist or strapper, may favour Georgallis, as he would be a cheaper appointment than the likes of Sheens and Stuart.
The Herald has been told players have regularly had to strap themselves or be strapped by a teammate before training - a situation one club insider described as ''being like park football''. However, Panthers officials insist they could afford to pay as much for a top coach as most other NRL clubs.

Bench
Go to Penrith Sheens,we will kick on with who ever takes over,you will continue your unbeleivably stupid team selections at Penrith,and we won't have to worry about it anymore.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Sheens goes, I'd love to have either Folkes or Brown as head coach.

They're both very good at running defences and are very good at buying the right players for the club. I'd take Brown ahead of Folkes

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Good riddance to him. Has developed hardly a single representative player since he's been here, two finals series in seven or so years, massive underachievement. Happy to think it's time for a change.

TroopyF

Juniors
Ch9 said panthers have offered a massive 5 year deal that we can't match and our directors have given him to the end of the week to decide. This was reported by Weidler so don't know how much truth is in though.
Fingers crossed it's true and he takes it.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'd be happy with a direct swap, but I'd prefer Steve Folkes took over. I think he can add the mental toughness to the side and teach them to grind out matches, build pressure and win the close ones, qualities the side seems to lack.

Remember the four nations last year when Darius Boyd had amazing year yet could not make the Australian run on team due to the coaches influence on selections, makes you wonder how many players are presently in our WT squad in the same position. Yet the usual liabilities are selected every week, without ever improving or being held accountable for there performance.

Borat.

Juniors
Elliot - NO WAY-

Some tool called mmm this morning- reckons he had lunch with Ricky Stuart yesterday and was told Sheens to penrifff is a done deal....

Sounds like a lot of crap - but one can hope....

Tigerm

First Grade
Elliot - NO WAY-

Some tool called mmm this morning- reckons he had lunch with Ricky Stuart yesterday and was told Sheens to penrifff is a done deal....

Sounds like a lot of crap - but one can hope....
Just reading the Herald Sun, apparently Tigers have offered him $410k a season for 4 years (2 as coach & 2 as coaching director) & Panthers have offered $500k a seaon for 4 yrs as coach.
Message to Tim; This will be you pension money, I think you should grudgingly accept the Panthers offer, while the WT will miss you, we should both move on.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
The thing about Elliott is its not that he's a bad coach as such, more that people thought he had far better squads than he did. Our squad is easily the best one he'd walk into with.

That said, there's probably more credentialled candidates out there if Sheens does go.

Latest posts