What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shield Team

Godz Illa

Coach
I know this much - Brett Morris is out. Broke his thumb on Saturday night, needs surgery and will be gone for 7 weeks. Wes, Luke MacDougall and Josh Morris will all trial at fullback this Saturday.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
NRL
Coach: Nathan Brown
1. Josh MORRIS
2. Luke MACDOUGALL
3. Wes NAIQAMA
4. Matt COOPER
5. Chase STANLEY
6. Mark GASNIER
7. Ben HORNBY
8. Chris HOUSTON
9. Simon WOOLFORD
10. Dan HUNT
11. Ashton SIMS
12. Beau SCOTT
13. Ben CREAGH
14. Adam PEEK
15. Danny WICKS
16. Corey PAYNE
18. Lagi SETU
19. Ben ELLIS
20. Charlie LEAENO
21. Ricky THORBY

Premier League
Coach: Steven Price
1. Jason NIGHTINGALE
2. Rota SETU
3. Frank SAMIA
4. Keith LULIA
5. Sam MORATH
6. Richard WILLIAMS
7. Rangi CHASE
8. Ricardo YOUNG
9. Tony CAINE
10. Matt PRIOR
11. Jason WHITE
12. Reece LOVEGROVE
13. James JIMENEZ
14. Brian WEST
15. Brad DAVIDSON
16. Casey ELLIS
17. Reece BLAYNEY
18. Pat ROSSER
19. Daniel FEPULEAI
20. Scott SABLOWSKI
21. John KENNEDY
22. Scott MACDOUGALL
23. Jason KLIMIS
24. Sene TALA

www.jubileeavenue.com.au

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Rabbitohs team for the 24th Charity Shield is:

1) David Peachey
2) Paul Mellor
3) Nigel Vagana
4) Shannon Hegarty
5) Reece Simmonds
6) John Sutton
7) Joe Williams
8) Peter Cusack (c)
9) Stuart Webb
10) Roy Asotasi
11) David Kidwell (c)
12) Luke Stuart
13) David Fa’alogo

Interchange:

14) Daniel Irvine
15) Dean Widders
16) Scott Geddes
17) Manase Manuokafoa
18) Joe Galuvao
19) Jaiman Lowe
20) Shane Rigon
21) Jeremy Smith
22) Germaine Paulson
23) Fetuli Talanoa

Coach – Jason Taylor

2006 result:
South Sydney Rabbitohs 14 (Paul Mellor, Shannon Hegarty, David Fa'alogo tries; Ben Walker goal)
defeated
St George Illawarra Dragons 12 (Trent Barrett, Ben Hornby tries; Wes Naiqama 2 goals)
Crowd – 24,566

Match Records:

Played 23, Dragons 13, Rabbitohs 7, Drawn 3.

1982 – Dragons 9-7
1983 – Dragons 28-10
1984 – Rabbitohs 24-6
1985 – Dragons 10-8
1986 – Dragons 12-0
1987 – Dragons 28-14
1988 – Rabbitohs 30-6
1989 – Rabbitohs 20-16
1990 – Drawn 10-10 (Rabbitohs retain)
1991 – Drawn 16-16 (Rabbitohs retain)
1992 – Rabbitohs 21-20
1993 – Dragons 10-8
1994 – Dragons 14-11
1995 – Dragons 18-10
1996 – Dragons 30-6
1997 – Dragons 26-18
1998 – Dragons 14-4
1999 – Rabbitohs 16-14
2002 – Drawn 20-20 (Rabbitohs retain)
2003 – Dragons 28-10
2004 – Dragons 34-8
2005 – Rabbitohs 30-6
2006 – Rabbitohs 14-12

Steel Dragon

Bench
Its a strong line up from both clubs. Should be a good gauge of how we'll do this year i reckon. A good test for Gaz at 5/8 too. Exciting times are ahead boys!

I'm getting pretty pumped!!!!

ps - Is it on Ch9 again this year?

Wobbygong

First Grade
Best part is that's about the best Souths can put on the field, whereas we still have class like Brett Morris, Ryles, Poore, Head, Young & Isemonger all to add in to the squad. :lol:

Collateral

Coach
Bit of a gamble with Young Morris starting at Fullback, but with Brett out injured I think its probably the perfect time to see how he handles the pressure.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Steel Dragon said:
Its a strong line up from both clubs. Should be a good gauge of how we'll do this year i reckon. A good test for Gaz at 5/8 too. Exciting times are ahead boys!

I'm getting pretty pumped!!!!

ps - Is it on Ch9 again this year?

Charity Shield Program – Saturday, March 3, 2007
4.30pm Gates Open
4.35pm Shellharbour Marlins v Raymond Terrace
6.05pm Premier League – Dragons v North Sydney Bears
8.00pm FOX live broadcast, NRL Trial, Dragons v Rabbitohs

Fox 3 I think.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Souths 1-5 is pretty slow IMO. Their halves are young and talented and have some pep, but they have no youthful speed at all in the backline.

Glad to see Reecy is getting his chances, will miss him. A great toiler but lacking the 'X' factor I think Souths need out wide.

The first outing for our halves as well. Looking forward to seeing how Gas uses his centres.

Souths have an impressive starting pack as well. Geddes, Widders and Galuvao coming from the bench is great impact.

Looking forward to seeing big Charlie come on again. Wicks, Houston and Hunt will be the forwards to watch as well I think.

Dave Q

Coach
Drew-Sta said:
Souths 1-5 is pretty slow IMO. Their halves are young and talented and have some pep, but they have no youthful speed at all in the backline.

Glad to see Reecy is getting his chances, will miss him. A great toiler but lacking the 'X' factor I think Souths need out wide.

The first outing for our halves as well. Looking forward to seeing how Gas uses his centres.

Souths have an impressive starting pack as well. Geddes, Widders and Galuvao coming from the bench is great impact.

Looking forward to seeing big Charlie come on again. Wicks, Houston and Hunt will be the forwards to watch as well I think.

No speed? NO SPEED! What about Merritt, one of the fastest players in the game as well as being the current top tryscorer! No speed?! lol.

The big Souths forwards will set the platform for the likes of the elusive sutton and vags to turn the Saints backs inside out. Plenty of decoys and kicks. The Saints backs need to be starved of as much ball as possible. Any Saints back with the ball in their hands needs to be arrested and neutralised on sight!!

Completions, Completions, Completions!

Widders will also offer extreme attacking options off the ruck. Hes a big strong fellow. Almost unstoppable 5m out. He'd run over Gas easily. Just too strong that close.

Reecy averages a try every two games. He's due allright. Nice to see him here. Well earned. We love him here.

The Saints halves-excellence in that combo, I agree. The real deal. But the bunnies forwards are much faster and quicker this year. They will need to be here!

A very impressive Souths pack, where do I start...but its Ok we have no issues here.

I dont care who they play, Asotasi and Kidwell will have opposing packs squealing like pigs when they decide to turn it on. They will dominate and decimate. They will toss other forwards around like they are dwarves!

This is 'da hood' of the modern pack. Pretty soon it will be the benchmark too.

My bet is that the Souths team will be pretty jumbled up before they run on.

I say Smith will start at half and Widders greatly impressed last week and as a consequence will start.

Joey Williams...Joey may not play at all. I'd be banking on Smith.

Everybodys pumped for the only trial that matters. Why any other teams bother playing trial matches is beyond me.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Dave Q said:
No speed? NO SPEED! What about Merritt, one of the fastest players in the game as well as being the current top tryscorer! No speed?! lol.
Willow said:
1) David Peachey
2) Paul Mellor
3) Nigel Vagana
4) Shannon Hegarty
5) Reece Simmonds
6) John Sutton
7) Joe Williams
8) Peter Cusack (c)
9) Stuart Webb
10) Roy Asotasi
11) David Kidwell (c)
12) Luke Stuart
13) David Fa’alogo

Interchange:

14) Daniel Irvine
15) Dean Widders
16) Scott Geddes
17) Manase Manuokafoa
18) Joe Galuvao
19) Jaiman Lowe
20) Shane Rigon
21) Jeremy Smith
22) Germaine Paulson
23) Fetuli Talanoa
Can't see Merritt's name in there anywhere. Must be too quick for the Media Release.

Dave Q said:
The big Souths forwards will set the platform for the likes of the elusive sutton and vags to turn the Saints backs inside out. Plenty of decoys and kicks.
Vagana is not elusive. Strong, instinctual, experienced? Yes. Elusive? Perhaps so elusive he eludes his own elusiveness.

Sutton's just young and has good acceleration and uses it to bust the line, or hit the gap. For elusiveness, see the likes of Preston Cambell or Benji Marshall who actually evade the defence and make their way through the line without being touched.

Like I said, however, Sutton and Williams will be a good pairing I think.

Dave Q said:
Looks like Taylors even got the clubs fans in on the pre-season training.

Dave Q said:
Widders will also offer extreme attacking options off the ruck. Hes a big strong fellow. Almost unstoppable 5m out. He'd run over Gas easily. Just too strong that close.
Very few forwards should be stopped at the 5m mark, especially one who challenges Mark Riddell for the nickname 'Piggy'. Nevertheless, I do believe Widders will add a new element to your team.

Dave Q said:
A very impressive Souths pack, where do I start...but its Ok we have no issues here.
^^ = :crazy:

DAFENCE! INTESITY! YAAAAAAH!

Dave Q said:
I dont care who they play, Asotasi and Kidwell will have opposing packs squealing like pigs when they decide to turn it on. They will dominate and decimate. They will toss other forwards around like they are dwarves!
Considering you've played your best pack against our young bloods, Asotasi and Kidwell could be considered under pressure to do so. However, I don't think it will be the case.

Dave Q said:
This is 'da hood' of the modern pack.
Have you been drinking? :?

Dave Q said:
See question above. :crazy:

Dave Q said:
Calling him Joey doesn't make him Andrew Johns. Secondly, I doubt Smith will be played at half. Look to see Sutton move to lock and Smith come on to 5/8.

Dave Q said:
Everybodys pumped for the only trial that matters. Why any other teams bother playing trial matches is beyond me.
You can have the win. I just want the match fitness and a clean medical bill after. After all, it is the Charity Shield and we are obliged to help the less fortunate than us.

Have a pleasant evening.

phonetic

Juniors
Dave Q said:

The big Souths forwards will set the platform for the likes of the elusive sutton and vags to turn the Saints backs inside out. Plenty of decoys and kicks. The Saints backs need to be starved of as much ball as possible. Any Saints back with the ball in their hands needs to be arrested and neutralised on sight!!

Reecy averages a try every two games. He's due allright. Nice to see him here. Well earned. We love him here.

The Saints halves-excellence in that combo, I agree. The real deal. But the bunnies forwards are much faster and quicker this year. They will need to be here!

This is 'da hood' of the modern pack. Pretty soon it will be the benchmark too.

I say Smith will start at half and Widders greatly impressed last week and as a consequence will start.

Dude... it's a trial game. Relax.

Dave Q

Coach
Dear comrade sta,

Smith will play at half, ergo, this will discredit your entire posting effort (as interesting as it was!).

Dave Q

Coach
phonetic said:
Dude... it's a trial game. Relax.

Yes, wise words.

You have to understand the misery of the last decade at Souths!

Hang on, slurrrrrrrrrrrp, ahhhh..

I'm relaxed now.

Thanks.

Yes, no injuries, a go-soft, fun for all.

I understand.

;-)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Ok, let's say for a second you're right, and Smith plays half.

A) What's the point in naming Williams?
B) If it is to confuse the opposition, then I have to ask why you're bothering for a trail

He may well sub Williams off for Smith at some point, or he may just cut Williams altogether.

In the end, I don't really care. However, I find it much more likely that Sutton would move to Lock for a short period and have Smith come on to play 5/8 in an attempt to get 3 ball-players and 3 different options on the park.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Brett Morris is out - reportedly a busted thumb and he is out for two months.

Jason Ryles is out until round 1.
Dean Young is out.
Justin Poore is out.
Chase Stanley is in - the report notes that he 'a 17-year-old... who had to miss training on Tuesday because of his school commitments.'
Chris Houston and Dan Hunt should do well in the front row.
Ricky Thorby gets a few wraps too.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/green-dragons-looking-like-the-bunnies/2007/02/28/1172338707517.html