What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shocks in Roo Tour squad

Razor

Coach
Bailey - Reasonable player

Buderus - As the best hooker in the world deserves to be there. Was struggling with injury for the 2nd-half of the season but should have fully recovered by the test matches.

Civoniceva - On form should be there, but how can he play with 1 match of suspension left, when Kennedy couldn't use a rep game as a match.

Clinton - Definitely deserves to be there, with a great 2nd half of the year.

Crocker - Been in good form

De Vere - Bit lucky, but in fairness with no Hodges, Gidley, Lyon, Gasnier, Timmins, who else is there?

Fitzgibbon - Best 2nd rower who isn't injured

Girdler - On the past 2-3 game deserves to be there. On the past 10-11 years doesn't deserve to be there. But with every other centre injured he had to be there.

Gower - Great player

Hegarty - Long overdue for selection.

Kearns (VC) - With no Ryles or Bailey yes he had to be picked.

Kimmorley - Anyone heard the word JOKE

Lewis - Long overdue for selection.

Lockyer (C) - Of course

Mason - Joke even with all the injuries

Minichiello - On form the best fullback this year, despite a terrible performance in the Grand Final.

Ricketson - Of course

Simpson - Struggled with injury for most of this year. Was shamefully overlooked for the Aus-NZ match October last year, and was injured for all rep football this year. But he's over his injuries now and being in the top 3-4 2nd rowers for Australia had to be picked considering Kennedy & Hindmarsh are injured.

Sing - Apart from Meli, the best winger this year.

Villasanti - Super performer.

Waterhouse - Not sure how he got in.

Webcke - Best prop who isn't injured.

Wing - Good back-up to Gower & Buderus

I'd have dumped Kimmorley and added Orford
Dump Waterhouse and add Perry

Top 17

1. Lockyer
2. Minichiello
3. Devere
4. Lewis
5. Sing
6. Wing
7. Gower
8. Webcke
9. Buderus
10. Civo
11. Simpson
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Ricketson

14. Clinton
15. Villansanti
16. Wing
17. Kearns

chileman

Coach
Dean Moriarty said:
With a limited (23-man) squad, you need a certain amount of flexibility. Bails definitely gives you that.

How exactly does selecting an Origin player for the Roos embarrass the code?
Please tell me how Scott Sattler didn't get a run before Bailey amigo???

PARRA_FAN

Coach
the squad seems to be ok, but theres no 5/8. Wing can play that, but is more of a hooker and a halfback, Gower can play that, but is more of a half back, and Girdler can play that but is more of a centre, Lockyer is suggested to play 5/8 but why move the best fullback in the game at 5/8. So that leaves Preston Campbell a player who played so well in attack and defence, I still cant understand why he wasnt picked. I know he and Anderson do not get along but thats just tough luck for Anderson. Why should he have any part of picking the players when you know all he wants is Sharks players who are not good enough. I'll be suprised if he is Australian coach next year.

I know a lot of Canberra supporters would be fired up after looking at the squad, no Canberra player, yet there were 2 Sharks players and they were on the bottom of the ladder. Ryan O"HARA shouldve been picked if they wanted someone young and fresh, and shouldve been picked before Mason and Villasanti.

And why wasnt Steve Price there, is just a joke.

And there were more Roosters players picked than Panthers players :shock: , I cant understand why.

Wake up to yourself selectors.

chileman said:
Can someone please tell me who besides Anderson are the selectors for the team....Baileys inclusion is nothing short of embarrassing for the code! :oops:
Bob McCarthy, Bob Fulton, Les Geeves and Arthur Beetson.

Bailey did play well in his limited SOO time, but I agree he should not be there. McCarthy likes Bailey too though, not just Anderson.

Razor

Coach
Raider_69 said:
Davico was unlucky, in fact very unlucky
i want to know what the Raiders have done to selectors?

I thought Davico & O'Hara were both injured?

If not, the yes Davico over Waterhouse and Mason

On Priddis, he has only been great the past 3-4 weeks.

You have Buderus & Wing, who I'm sure everyone will agree are better than Priddis. People are going on Buderus's form after SOO. You must remember he was playing with a shoulder injury, which (according to him) should be right for the tour.

And if both of them get injured, you still have Gower and move in a halfback although with Kimmorley being the back-up half, it's not a good idea.

Razor

Coach
chileman said:
Dean Moriarty said:
With a limited (23-man) squad, you need a certain amount of flexibility. Bails definitely gives you that.

How exactly does selecting an Origin player for the Roos embarrass the code?
Please tell me how Scott Sattler didn't get a run before Bailey amigo???

Forgot about Sattler. He should have been there over Bailey. Although they may have picked Bailey because he can also play centre.

Razor said:
Mason - Joke even with all the injuries
Short memories. As much as I dislike him, Mason absolutely killed the Poms in the Test match last year, and I doubt they've learnt how to tackle him yet.

Booyah

Bench
Dump Waterhouse and add Perry

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perry? Yeah right!

That would be a farce if that turd made the Squad. He made Origin, fair enough, but then what happened in that game? Did he play? Apparently he did but No one can remember.

A few weeks ago when the Roosters played the Knights, Morley put a solid tackle on Perry, who then played Peek-a Boo for the entire match and refused to hit the ball up, leaving the others to work harder.

I do not, and never have rated Josh Perry.

If you were to dump Waterhouse, Why not replace him with someone who is more worthy then that joke I was just talking about?

Here is a list of players who would do a better job then Perry;

Lang
Ross
Price
O'Meley
King

I could keep going, but why bother?

salivor

First Grade
weasel said:
salivor said:
weasel said:
Devere is there??!! :shock: I realise a lot of the top centres are injured but running through names in my mind I can't see how he beat- Ben Harris, Adam Mogg, Steven Bell, Mark Hughes, Matt Cooper, Chris Walker, Ryan Cross, Paul Bowman, Albert Torrens, Mark O'Halloran, Russell Richardson, Ben Macdougall, Jarrad Anderson, the retired Aaron Moule... well basically anyone. Other than that shame to see Steve Price missing, but it's still a decent side considering all the withdrawals.

Fair go. Hes played for NSW 4 times now. His first match was in game 1 2001 where he wasn't selected for game 2 because he was the casulty of a very poor NSW performance. Then this year he played in all 3 matches, was solid in the first two, didn't have the greatest of games in the 3rd but he was playing in a side that wasn't playing at its best.

I recall Brad Meyers having gone alright in an origin match before too. A decent performance doesn't change my view he shouldn't have been selected in the first place. And we were nothing short of woeful in the first two origins anyway so of course all the Blues players came out looking better than they were. I'll admit that he played respectably in the first eight or nine rounds of this year, form that would have earned the Origin call-up, but after the rep season he really didn't play well at all and I really do rate him behind most of those players I mentioned.

Comparing Meyers to DeVere is a bit of a stretch. The key thing about DeVere is that while Brisbane's form has been going downhill over the last 3 years, DeVere has been getting better and better and now he's making rep teams.
You can hardly judge the guy his back end of the season when Brisbane fell away. He was playing in a side severly under performing and in a few games he was shoved out of position into fullback which didn't suit him.

Parra_Eels

Bench
well once againwe see kimmorley in a side he doesn't deserve to be in. how could they not put in orford or sherwin is beyond me. even Campbell or Anasta shou;d've been 5/8 campbell more

weasel

First Grade
salivor said:
weasel said:
salivor said:
weasel said:
Devere is there??!! :shock: I realise a lot of the top centres are injured but running through names in my mind I can't see how he beat- Ben Harris, Adam Mogg, Steven Bell, Mark Hughes, Matt Cooper, Chris Walker, Ryan Cross, Paul Bowman, Albert Torrens, Mark O'Halloran, Russell Richardson, Ben Macdougall, Jarrad Anderson, the retired Aaron Moule... well basically anyone. Other than that shame to see Steve Price missing, but it's still a decent side considering all the withdrawals.

Fair go. Hes played for NSW 4 times now. His first match was in game 1 2001 where he wasn't selected for game 2 because he was the casulty of a very poor NSW performance. Then this year he played in all 3 matches, was solid in the first two, didn't have the greatest of games in the 3rd but he was playing in a side that wasn't playing at its best.

I recall Brad Meyers having gone alright in an origin match before too. A decent performance doesn't change my view he shouldn't have been selected in the first place. And we were nothing short of woeful in the first two origins anyway so of course all the Blues players came out looking better than they were. I'll admit that he played respectably in the first eight or nine rounds of this year, form that would have earned the Origin call-up, but after the rep season he really didn't play well at all and I really do rate him behind most of those players I mentioned.

Comparing Meyers to DeVere is a bit of a stretch. The key thing about DeVere is that while Brisbane's form has been going downhill over the last 3 years, DeVere has been getting better and better and now he's making rep teams.
You can hardly judge the guy his back end of the season when Brisbane fell away. He was playing in a side severly under performing and in a few games he was shoved out of position into fullback which didn't suit him.

It's quite easy for me to compare Meyers and Devere, they're my two least favourite players in the comp (ok add Andrew Gee to the list as well), but I see your point. Fullback definitely isn't his position so his performances perhaps need to be put in perspective. He rarely makes mistakes in defence when playing in his usual position, he probably puts more effort into his game than any other player, and I'm sure he won't let the Kangaroos down. That said I'd be much happier seeing Lyon, Gasnier or Tate named in the side.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Razor said:
On Priddis, he has only been great the past 3-4 weeks.

You have Buderus & Wing, who I'm sure everyone will agree are better than Priddis. People are going on Buderus's form after SOO. You must remember he was playing with a shoulder injury, which (according to him) should be right for the tour.
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm guessing you haven't been watching many Penrith games this year? Priddis has been just as good as Wing all this year, and much better than Buderus. Including before Origin.

Anonymous

Juniors
The selection of Waterhouse is just incredibly bizarre, like they've pulled a name out of a hat or something. I actually think he is a good player, but think of all the more deserving players who missed out. Occasionally you get a shock selection, and it's explicable because the player has been a star at junior level or something, but in this case, wasn't the guy doing some sh.tty job last year, and wasn't just playing first grade an achievement for him? He sounds like the classic journeyman.

I'll be interested to see how Villa goes as he has done nothing to warrant his selection.

If Wesser doesn't deserve a spot than I'm a monkey's uncle's dog's excretion, he's been the most brilliant attacking player in the game for 18 months now. Another brilliant black man misses out, nothing to do with racism of course. I wouldn't dare suggest it.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
On current form you would have picked Priddis over Buderus for sure, Priddis is so under-rated by selectors and Campbell, i reckon his omission has got something to do with Anderson the coach. Also Wesser and Rooney should have made it.

Sattler is a hero!

Trollhammaren

Juniors
This is such a joke, but we've come to expect this now.
Buderus is shit, and Priddis is a much more superior player.
f**king DeVere, Bailey, Waterhouse, and Kimmorley???? OMFG!!!
Chris Anderson is seriously mentally ill isn't he?? It's the only excuse he has.

GO THE POMS!!

hrundi99

First Grade
If I was Davico I wouldn't be a particularly happy bloke today.

If it wasn't for injury he should have played at least as much or more rep footy than Kearns and he's had none.

Waterhouse? They are deadset kidding.

Mighty Dragon said:
Campbell should just face the fact that he will never don the green and gold

The same treatment that Nathan Blacklock faced for a long time.
I agree The whole process seems flawed and Baised.

Priddis should of been a certainty.
Where are the QLD representitives.
Yes Noddy is a very good player but I'd list a few that are better.
Geyer should of made it some where .

It is a mates world out there. :roll:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the process has become flawed. You hear all this stuff about "earning" a jersey but now it's like you can do the coach or have a good game a few years ago and get into the team. Another person who missed out on a jersey is orford who has had a much better season than kimmorly.

This crap about baily being able to cover centre is bullshit. he may *play* in the centres but he doesnt do it very well..... I think he is a very good backrower but a shit centre. Rodney covered for girdler the other night, shouldnt he be selected as well...????

As for the whole "black" issue, people like bringing this up but you forget players such as Sailor, Tallis and Tuqiri all played many games for Australia and were often the first picked in their position. and civinoceva's black as well......