What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shopping List for 2005

Collateral

Coach
He is also still on contract with us till the end of next year and he knows he is apart of big plans for the future.

Collateral

Coach
I wouldnt mind getting young Ennis from the Knight as he is a hooker with huge wraps or Sullivan from the Sharks.

sleepy_jackson

Juniors
I reckon its ridiculous to say get rid of barrett, ryles, bailey and co because they get injured. Injuries happen! How can u say get rid of them and spend on the youngsters? They could get a bad injury when they play NRL week in and week out adn end up being the high paid player on the sidelines. Barrett played week in and week out before 2001, he was considered the youngster before then, so how does that make him different from the youngsters now. We need incredibly talented players like rylesy, bazza, and bails. Bailey hasnt really spen that much time on the sidline only in the back end of last year and this year he has had injuries. Timmo should never be released, he is the gutsiest man i have ever seen, forget john sattler, this is the toughest man ever! He is the most consistent player in the NRL. Keep our stars, injuries happen in rugby league, the stars get injured more often because they r subject to more attention from opposition defences. Maybe we should hire a new conditioning coach lol?

Kiwi

First Grade
sleepy_jackson said:
I reckon its ridiculous to say get rid of barrett, ryles, bailey and co because they get injured. Injuries happen! How can u say get rid of them and spend on the youngsters? They could get a bad injury when they play NRL week in and week out adn end up being the high paid player on the sidelines. Barrett played week in and week out before 2001, he was considered the youngster before then, so how does that make him different from the youngsters now. We need incredibly talented players like rylesy, bazza, and bails. Bailey hasnt really spen that much time on the sidline only in the back end of last year and this year he has had injuries. Timmo should never be released, he is the gutsiest man i have ever seen, forget john sattler, this is the toughest man ever! He is the most consistent player in the NRL. Keep our stars, injuries happen in rugby league, the stars get injured more often because they r subject to more attention from opposition defences. Maybe we should hire a new conditioning coach lol?

I'm not saying the Dragons should get rid of all of them, by why keep so many injury prone players? You say before 2001 Barrett was injury free, so from 2001, so 3 1/2 years he has been pretty much injured, played less than 50% of the Dragons games I would guess. The likes of Ryles, Gasnier, Thompson ect wouldn't be much better in terms of game time. Yes injuries happen, but the same guys each year, the same highly paid guys each year, always lengthy times on the sidelines. Again why keep so many? Dragons will never be a title threat until they do something about it.

Saint 60

Juniors
Double post

I WANT A "A GRADE KICKER"
<------- hates loosing games by 2 points

two games in 2 WEEKS and still grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

damo72

Juniors
unfortunately for all Dragons supporters I think you are going to find yourself in the same situation we did at the Eels except we had Brian Smith controlling our player stocks but you have so much young talent in your ranks and it is going to be hard to keep them all and once you keep the ones you want it isnt going to leave much for anything else. Ben Creagh is going to be a superstar, Matthew Head or Brett Firman its a win win situation whichever way they decide to go, as an outsider looking in I can't see much need for outside players to come in as you seem to have an abundance of talent in all positions, not sure of your back up in the three quarters though. It is a shame to see the injury toll at your club and I do say that with all sincerity but unfortunately these things do occur, just a view I have not only with Barret but with all players that seem to be injury proned is to put them on contracts that stipulate the amount of games they play. I read in another thread in here that Barret wouldnt want to play lock to keep Holdsworth at 5/8, I think he would play anywhere for the Dragons, look what he did for Mundine. Anyway guys hope all works out sooner rather than later with retaining some of your players as I know what you are going through

Southernsaint

Staff member
damo72 said:
unfortunately for all Dragons supporters I think you are going to find yourself in the same situation we did at the Eels except we had Brian Smith controlling our player stocks but you have so much young talent in your ranks and it is going to be hard to keep them all and once you keep the ones you want it isnt going to leave much for anything else. Ben Creagh is going to be a superstar, Matthew Head or Brett Firman its a win win situation whichever way they decide to go, as an outsider looking in I can't see much need for outside players to come in as you seem to have an abundance of talent in all positions, not sure of your back up in the three quarters though. It is a shame to see the injury toll at your club and I do say that with all sincerity but unfortunately these things do occur, just a view I have not only with Barret but with all players that seem to be injury proned is to put them on contracts that stipulate the amount of games they play. I read in another thread in here that Barret wouldnt want to play lock to keep Holdsworth at 5/8, I think he would play anywhere for the Dragons, look what he did for Mundine. Anyway guys hope all works out sooner rather than later with retaining some of your players as I know what you are going through

Yeah, and he didn't whinge like a little girl about having to play half-back for a season-and-a-half either :roll:

The Face looks out for one person, and that's himself. Take a pay-cut & I'll reconsider.

Cheers,
Ben S.

G

gorilla

Dumas (number eighteen) for the Sharks last match against the Broncos was good. He's a 2nd rower and has great defence - he's big and will learn to run at gaps.
Off contract end of this season.

drake

First Grade
Obviously you've spent a great deal of time with him Ben.
Next time I run into him I'll suggest he should be more humble, more like Choc, who as we all know, never brags or poses.

If God Himself came from the Steelers to play for us you'd bag him.

I often think we could put a big bag of cash on the bench too, but lets face it, you seem to hate Barrett for not being Choc. Sorry Ben, Choc followed the money trail, not Barrett.

And those who say dump Bailey because he's injured too often; WTF!?
The bloke who is the successor to Webcke, dump him because he rips his bloody chest muscles loose playing for us.
A lot of people wanted to drop Timmins too.

Southernsaint

Staff member
drake said:
Next time I run into him I'll suggest he should be more humble, more like Choc, who as we all know, never brags or poses.

I often think we could put a big bag of cash on the bench too, but lets face it, you seem to hate Barrett for not being Choc. Sorry Ben, Choc followed the money trail, not Barrett.

The bloke who is the successor to Webcke, dump him because he rips his bloody chest muscles loose playing for us.

Drake,

Sorry mate, but I totally disagree. Luke Bailey is one of my favourite players, where did he originate from?? I also like Cooper & Benny Hornby. The fact that I think Trent is wasting our time has nothing to do with the fact that he was originally a Steeler.

We have to ask ourselves why Trent has put in great performances in the Sky Blue or Green & Gold yet cannot really do it in the Red & White?? Attitude?!

Only match-winners should be on the type of money that he's on, and let's face it, he hasn't been a match-winner for the club since 1999. I think it'd be a great gesture from Trent to take a pay-cut next contract, as a show of thanks to the club that has stood by him over the years as he either showed indifferent form or sat on the sidelines.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Rieck_Fan

Juniors
or Sullivan from the Sharks.

Dumas (number eighteen) for the Sharks last match against the Broncos was good. He's a 2nd rower and has great defence - he's big and will learn to run at gaps.
Off contract end of this season.

Dumas will re-sign with us and hopefully Sully will soon too.

drake

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
drake said:

Drake,

Sorry mate, but I totally disagree. Luke Bailey is one of my favourite players, where did he originate from?? I also like Cooper & Benny Hornby. The fact that I think Trent is wasting our time has nothing to do with the fact that he was originally a Steeler.

We have to ask ourselves why Trent has put in great performances in the Sky Blue or Green & Gold yet cannot really do it in the Red & White?? Attitude?!

Only match-winners should be on the type of money that he's on, and let's face it, he hasn't been a match-winner for the club since 1999. I think it'd be a great gesture from Trent to take a pay-cut next contract, as a show of thanks to the club that has stood by him over the years as he either showed indifferent form or sat on the sidelines.

Cheers,
Ben S.
Fair enough mate.
I like Trent as a (potential?) player and a person, but I definately concede that he has been an expensive liability over the past few years.
I'm sorry for lumping you with the Illawarra haters.
I know Choc was a better 5/8th, but he was also a turncoat pr1ck who deserted us twice for money and glory. With the scarcity of pivots in the game (Yawnion as well) we need to stick with the one we've got.
Didn't someone on WORL say Baz took a paycut?

I think Saints could benefit from having Firman at 6, Head at 7, Barrett at 13 in the near future. Gorrell in the 9 if Riddell departs. Timmins and Cooper in the centres. It mighgt sound strange but using Barrett as a running lock a lot like Sattler on one side of the ruck and having Timmins doing the same in the centres on the other side running of Head and Firman could be useful for Saints. The kicking game would leave you with all options. Head, Firman, Barrett or Gorrell then that opens up the option of running on the last also as a defence rushes up to close em all down. The other option if Kite goes is to move Timmins into the secondrow but with extra work rate it could detract from his running game.

A very radical idea but one which could work long term and the good thing is the three key position players on that scenario Firman, Head, Gorrell are all still pretty young and could be in those key positions for a decade.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Hulka said:
Dumas isn't off contract you pricks and Sully will resign within two weeks.

Saints don't need Dumas - Kogarah already has a Civic Video outlet...

Cheers,
Ben S.

G

gorilla

Hulka, who wore the number eighteen against the Broncos ?
Gorilla

Biglance

Bench
so i reckon we need a decent young fullback - greenshields?

and a decent young second rower - payne?