What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Luke Burt have been dropped ?

Should Luke Burt have been dropped?

• Total voters
You're absolutely right, and I agree with you. When I mentioned the smart-arses, I was referencing those who would claim he never put his body on the line. I know he's never been the best bomb catcher or tackler based on his physical dimensions, but as you correctly said - in years gone by, he at least tried. Lately, though...

I still find it confusing, though - he wasn't that bad in round 1. It must be a tactical thing, surely...?

IMO I don't think it's tactical I just think Kearney is willing to make the hard calls and sending a message to the others to pull their fingers out. I hope so anyway.

Gazzamatta

Coach
As nice a bloke at Luke Burt appears to be, he simply does not have the tools to play NRL now days. His defence is non existent and his ability under the high ball is park football standard at best. He lacks size and strength to be a winger or fullback in todays game.
A good goal kicker, a smart footy brain and a good finisher cannot counter his defensive weaknesses. Unfortunately the team does not have quality centers (hopefully Tonga changes that) to cover your obvious weaknesses. Sorry Luke. Its time to move on. Maybe if you had moved into the halves a few years ago things might be different.

Springs

First Grade
It isn't an awful idea - Burty has pros and cons, just like everyone else. But due to physical limitations and other factors (including the weather), his cons are seemingly more obvious. Having him marking up against blokes like Vatuvei or Inu or Hurrell or Fish or whoever...Not a good scenario for us.

And if we give him a break and we bring in Hayne and Tonga to the side, we do ourselves favours.

The thing to remember, I feel, is that Burty is not a quitter, despite what some smart-arses here say. I believe he will take his demotion and work hard on his game to come back to First Grade.

Why would it matter if he marked Inu? Everybody here thought he was the worst player ever (apart from Morts of course), he got blamed for a ton of losses. Burt was a hero compared to Inu according to LU fans in 2010.

Bazal

Post Whore
Sandow misses more than half his goals...and Esi Tonga and to a lesser extent Cheyse Blair read defence like schoolkids all night...That's a resounding no...

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
IMO I don't think it's tactical I just think Kearney is willing to make the hard calls and sending a message to the others to pull their fingers out. I hope so anyway.
And it worked.

Dropping Burt, Horo and Morgan certainly told the team that there are no spots guaranteed here. Lasalo's improvement was probably due to the recognition that his head was next on the block, particularly with Hindy out and some other backrowers getting a chance.

The whole team played with energy and enthusiasm and you certainly can't rule out the shake-up as one of the main contributors to that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lasalo has always tried hard and has good speed and footwork. Tonight he got some good service and ran at the holes. I think he's finally learning where to run and when.

Captain BF

Juniors
I was impressed by the games of Blair and Sio. So i don't think Burt's wing play was missed other than his experience at fullback after Hayne got injured. I can see Blair & Sio being our wingers for the next few years.

Eels Dude

Coach
Burt's a great communicator from the back, organising the defensive line and such. It's not something you can pick up on on tv, but watching the games live especially from behind the goalposts he's very vocal and pointing fingers trying to organize the defence. If Hayne learns from Burt in that regard he'll be a better fullback than Slater. If Hayne's out next week Burt should definitely be fullback.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Burt's a great communicator from the back, organising the defensive line and such. It's not something you can pick up on on tv, but watching the games live especially from behind the goalposts he's very vocal and pointing fingers trying to organize the defence. If Hayne learns from Burt in that regard he'll be a better fullback than Slater. If Hayne's out next week Burt should definitely be fullback.

I hear this said a LOT.

Go back and do some research on how many points we give up with Burt @ fullback compared to other players (check over a 5-10 year time frame too)
[[It's a shocking story]] If you compare just Burt to Hayne, Hayne is miles ahead in terms of opponents line breaks, and points scored. We are simply way better defensively with Hayne at the back.

When Burt's @ fullback, the team performs poorly in defence. Whatever he is saying is clearly being ignored.

I'd be tempted to give Sio a go and bring Burt on to the wing. I think wing is the only spot Burt can play these days - too much responsibility for him at fullback (defensively I mean)

Gronk

Staff member
Even with Hayne out, I'm not sure I would rush him straight back. I thought Sio was far more dangerous than Burt ever would dream to be. Only because Esi snapped something that he might get a reprieve.