What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary's Contract Be Extended For another 3 Year Term?

Sould Mary's Contract Be Extended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crush

Coach
The Poll says it all. 50 to 7 against Mary being given an extension.
I agree with previous poster.
We already have the sack McGregor thread. We allllll know that nobody in their right mind would extend Mary at the moment, wait until September and see if we win the comp.

The Poll says it all. 50 to 7 against Mary being given an extension.

Understood mate.

I voted yes. I’m in the minority, which I’m comfortable with.

I want success for our club just as much as every dragons fan on the forums, and those outside it.

But I’m no longer the angry supporter yelling from the hill and demanding heads roll when success doesn’t come our way. It serves no purpose other than wasting my energy and putting me in a bad mood. And when it’s from a band of supporters in their hundreds or thousands, it doesn’t do our team and club any good, and makes us look like a lynch mob to all the league loving public. Like it or not, that’s what we are known as out there.

I get why people would prefer another coach. I really do. But right here and now I want Paul McGregor and working under the “stability” of employment for future seasons which can only be a good thing for him, which in turn will benefit the team - which has almost always had the sword of Damocles hanging over its head each season. Even before a ball has been kicked. How can that environment breed success. In the NRL era, Apart from Wayne Bennett’s 2010 side - it hasn’t if you define competitions as success.

I’ll still yell from the hill and at my tv when we do something dumb or Lose and unlosable game. But the only time I’ll get truly angry is when people’s attitude drops, they don’t put effort in. That happened in two particular games last year but..... at the end of the season, we were a bees-dick away from a spot in the prelim final. Without arguably our most influential player in Gareth Widdop.

Yes we was the coach when we dropped to the lows of the losses to parra and the dogs. But he was also the coach when we flogged Brisbane in Brisbane and when we just got beaten against the Rabbitohs next week without Widdop - when the league world had written the dragons off for the year. It’s the same guy coaching.

At the start of last season, I’d have taken that finish no question. And Paul McGregor coached our side to that finish.

When I was a kid I used to cop a hiding from dad when I got out of line. And that was pretty common parenting of the day. It worked for me. But times have changed and “motivation through fear” is an out-dated approach to many things in life.

I don’t have the perfect solution to coaching a team or man-management of the modern generation of football players, but I do know that an unstable, emotional, fearful environment won’t bring you success as a team - even if your viewpoint on what success means differs from the next person.

McGregor coached the Dragons to within a whisker of a prelim final last season. In the scheme of things I consider that a pretty damn good season. I hope we have a better one this year. I’m staying positive - it’s better for me!

Last edited:

matPORTS

Juniors
Should a contract extension be offered now? No.

Should a contract extension be considered at about mid-to-three quarters of the way through the season? Depends.

Should a contract extension occur if we achieve what one considers to be an acceptable overall result this season? Yes (probably).

As alluded to on the other thread, it's all a wait & see watch & act approach for mine. As we saw last season, the sacking and coaching merry-go-round process doesn't start until the back end of the season anyway, and runs well into the pre-season, so we have plenty of time. Not buying the excuse that "we have to be careful because no other candidates could be available".

There is a lot to unfold this season for us:

Management of the JDB situation (and is off-field discipline a problem within the team as a whole that has just been shielded so far to date).

Management of the further intense scrutiny surrounding Ben Hunt.

How do we fit Widdop, Norman, Hunt & Dufty into the back line and how quickly do the new 'play-making' combinations gel (with intense scrutiny over Dufty and his playing future with us).

Are some tough calls going to be made i.e. do Aitken and/or Lafai hold position despite any poor form/discipline while Lomax stays in waiting. Do we ultimately make a decision to drop JDB to at least the bench, if not stand down completely until his off field drama is sorted, and start with Leilua... and what other juniors can be promoted while the team is in good form so that they get the experience needed instead of throwing them in the deep end when we're decimated with injury and fatigue.

We will probably be decimated again at Origin time so have lessons been learnt in this respect.

Is 'rep season drain' just an excuse for the fact that the team can't remain mentally focused when the blow torch is being applied at the business end of the season.

Another thing that is really frustrating me with regards to the decision making and foresight of our club management - with Ben Barba having been sacked from the Cowboys, all of a sudden in the last two days we're hearing about Jordan Kahu potentially doing a last minute move up there from the Broncos. If the Broncos have been looking to shed Kahu (a very handy player who can play wing, centre and kick goals), why are we never on the ball with situations like this and looking to negotiate potential player swaps and so on?

I get that there are many complexities when it comes to these issues... but it just seems that we are never on the ball in these respects.

possm

Coach
Should a contract extension be offered now? No.

Should a contract extension be considered at about mid-to-three quarters of the way through the season? Depends.

Should a contract extension occur if we achieve what one considers to be an acceptable overall result this season? Yes (probably).

As alluded to on the other thread, it's all a wait & see watch & act approach for mine. As we saw last season, the sacking and coaching merry-go-round process doesn't start until the back end of the season anyway, and runs well into the pre-season, so we have plenty of time. Not buying the excuse that "we have to be careful because no other candidates could be available".

There is a lot to unfold this season for us:

Management of the JDB situation (and is off-field discipline a problem within the team as a whole that has just been shielded so far to date).

Management of the further intense scrutiny surrounding Ben Hunt.

How do we fit Widdop, Norman, Hunt & Dufty into the back line and how quickly do the new 'play-making' combinations gel (with intense scrutiny over Dufty and his playing future with us).

Are some tough calls going to be made i.e. do Aitken and/or Lafai hold position despite any poor form/discipline while Lomax stays in waiting. Do we ultimately make a decision to drop JDB to at least the bench, if not stand down completely until his off field drama is sorted, and start with Leilua... and what other juniors can be promoted while the team is in good form so that they get the experience needed instead of throwing them in the deep end when we're decimated with injury and fatigue.

We will probably be decimated again at Origin time so have lessons been learnt in this respect.

Is 'rep season drain' just an excuse for the fact that the team can't remain mentally focused when the blow torch is being applied at the business end of the season.

Another thing that is really frustrating me with regards to the decision making and foresight of our club management - with Ben Barba having been sacked from the Cowboys, all of a sudden in the last two days we're hearing about Jordan Kahu potentially doing a last minute move up there from the Broncos. If the Broncos have been looking to shed Kahu (a very handy player who can play wing, centre and kick goals), why are we never on the ball with situations like this and looking to negotiate potential player swaps and so on?

I get that there are many complexities when it comes to these issues... but it just seems that we are never on the ball in these respects.

I'm sorry but given the history and the performance of Mary to date, I really can't see any good reason to extend Mary's contract.

Carrera28

Juniors
Understood mate.

I want success for our club just as much as every dragons fan on the forums, and those outside it.

But I’m no longer the angry supporter yelling from the hill and demanding heads roll when success doesn’t come our way. It serves no purpose other than wasting my energy and putting me in a bad mood. And when it’s from a band of supporters in their hundreds or thousands, it doesn’t do our team and club any good, and makes us look like a lynch mob to all the league loving public. Like it or not, that’s what we are known as out there.

I get why people would prefer another coach. I really do. But right here and now I want Paul McGregor and working under the “stability” of employment for future seasons which can only be a good thing for him, which in turn will benefit the team - which has almost always had the sword of Damocles hanging over its head each season. Even before a ball has been kicked. How can that environment breed success. In the NRL era, Apart from Wayne Bennett’s 2010 side - it hasn’t if you define competitions as success.

I’ll still yell from the hill and at my tv when we do something dumb or Lose and unlosable game. But the only time I’ll get truly angry is when people’s attitude drops, they don’t put effort in. That happened in two particular games last year but..... at the end of the season, we were a bees-dick away from a spot in the prelim final. Without arguably our most influential player in Gareth Widdop.

Yes we was the coach when we dropped to the lows of the losses to parra and the dogs. But he was also the coach when we flogged Brisbane in Brisbane and when we just got beaten against the Rabbitohs next week without Widdop - when the league world had written the dragons off for the year. It’s the same guy coaching.

At the start of last season, I’d have taken that finish no question. And Paul McGregor coached our side to that finish.

When I was a kid I used to cop a hiding from dad when I got out of line. And that was pretty common parenting of the day. It worked for me. But times have changed and “motivation through fear” is an out-dated approach to many things in life.

I don’t have the perfect solution to coaching a team or man-management of the modern generation of football players, but I do know that an unstable, emotional, fearful environment won’t bring you success as a team - even if your viewpoint on what success means differs from the next person.

McGregor coached the Dragons to within a whisker of a prelim final last season. In the scheme of things I consider that a pretty damn good season. I hope we have a better one this year. I’m staying positive - it’s better for me!

Thank you for posting this, you have managed to articulate my thoughts on the matter better then I have managed in the past.

avocado

Juniors
Using ‘stability’ as a reason for extending McGregor is ridiculous.

We limped into the eight last season, on the way being towelled up by two spoon contenders in must win games.

Similar to the year before that. And the year before that and so on.

‘Stability’ didn’t help us then.

True_Believer

Juniors
Understood mate.

Almost exactly my same thoughts. Excellent post.

Bench
No and again No. He has had the team he always wanted and we limped into the finals and that was it.
We have a team with rep players, SOO and emerging players who will be future Rep aplayer players.
McIdiot, at best would pick up a position with an ISP team. He does not possess the skills to run a team with the players we have
I would hope that the club does not make a decision until the end of season and then only if we make the final four give him maybe two years if that happens, if we don't then its Adios Amigo

Using ‘stability’ as a reason for extending McGregor is ridiculous.

We limped into the eight last season, on the way being towelled up by two spoon contenders in must win games.

Similar to the year before that. And the year before that and so on.

‘Stability’ didn’t help us then.

Agreed - stability is not a standalone reason to sign someone. But that’s not the only sentiment of my post, if I assume correctly you’ve mentioned this on the back of mine.

grouch

First Grade
Understood mate.

This is a rather verbose way to say you accept mediocrity.

Re-signing McGregor is not stability. It's stagnancy.

This is a rather verbose way to say you accept mediocrity.

Re-signing McGregor is not stability. It's stagnancy.

So.... very presumptive of you there grouch. Mediocrity is the last thing I accept...

Stagnancy.... 2018 was the best finish of a Dragons side since we won the comp in 2010. And when McGregor took over we’d run 14 the previous season under Steve Price and ended up 11th under McGregor after price got punted.

We can all quote stats that back up our own beliefs...

I was at Kogarah the day we got bulldozed by Canterbury last year, and in my eyes it was the most horrendous effort by a Dragons side id seen. But for mine the players (apart from James Graham) were the ones to answer for. Not the coach.

nontime111

Juniors
I like the fella as a person, top bloke, I even call Him Mcfroghead to his face!
But jurys still out for me, hes winning me over slowly seems to be one of those coaches who does get better with time....Id only want him resigned though if we make the GF this year, so thats top 2 or out.....

Latest posts