What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary's Contract Be Extended For another 3 Year Term?

Sould Mary's Contract Be Extended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

getsmarty

Immortal
Yeh funny now the local paper decides to do a full artcile of Wests Illlawarra in support by for some reason highlighting his 3 successive premierships at a high level in Wests Illawarra when they had not won a comp for 18 years and how he is the man to get the job done as he proved it there using the line he served his "apprenticeship"and he has been with our club with HPU (waterboy) roles except the successful Bennett era.
Funny...they did not mention his time as reserve grade coach or assistant to Price!..hmmmm..which I thought would be more of judgement as an apprentice
It is clear the Illawarra Mercury is stroking his paint brush and trying to push the board into a decision

Probably just softening the masses for the eventual announcement " The Club is Glad to announce that Paul McGregor has agreed to extend his contract by another 3 Years " .......Watch this space......

getsmarty

Immortal
I have seen enough over the past few weeks while watching lasts seasons games on Fox that Mary has no game plan to counter surprise tactics of opposition coaches. In addition Widdop does not have a clue on how to adjust on the field to counter threats or exploit opportunities.

An yet Widdop is consistently one of our best players...as proven by his selection in numerous awards including the players choice....

Coffs dragon

Bench
Yeh funny now the local paper decides to do a full artcile of Wests Illlawarra in support by for some reason highlighting his 3 successive premierships at a high level in Wests Illawarra when they had not won a comp for 18 years and how he is the man to get the job done as he proved it there using the line he served his "apprenticeship"and he has been with our club with HPU (waterboy) roles except the successful Bennett era.
Funny...they did not mention his time as reserve grade coach or assistant to Price!..hmmmm..which I thought would be more of judgement as an apprentice
It is clear the Illawarra Mercury is stroking his paint brush and trying to push the board into a decision

Oh dear, so the wheels are in motion to push Mary as a career coach and miracle worker. If the board re-sign & extend his contract it will help cure Constipation and give everyone the shits! Pass.....

BLM01

First Grade
Probably just softening the masses for the eventual announcement " The Club is Glad to announce that Paul McGregor has agreed to extend his contract by another 3 Years " .......Watch this space......
86..I cant watch this space. I am burying my head until it is official hoping that my 2019 prediction that he wont be coaching in 2020 comes to fruition.

possm

Coach
An yet Widdop is consistently one of our best players...as proven by his selection in numerous awards including the players choice....

Widdop will be even better at fullback in 2019 while Norman manages the team and the game from five-eighth.

LINESPEED

Juniors
86..I cant watch this space. I am burying my head until it is official hoping that my 2019 prediction that he wont be coaching in 2020 comes to fruition.

Your wish may well matérialise because we could well be 2-6 after Rd8, as we have a tough draw & the only teams we might best there are the Cows & Knights.
Our bogey teams are all there in the early rounds: Dogs & Eels etc plus Rorters, Eagles, Bunnies & Donkeys.

So, unless Waterboy’s extended pre kickoff ( that’s why it’s being fast tracked by the Steeler faction), he could be a gonner after Rd 8 IMHO

Hope I’m wrong about the results because I love my Dragons, but ...

Crazy business model Bruce if you extend him ATM
- & I wouldn’t buy a coke from you

.....& my membership lapses another year

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
the Mercury is Pravda.

Any chance you can copy paste this propaganda so we can all have a hearty LOL?

Country road still paying dividends for McGregor

IT’S been seven years since Paul McGregor lifted the third of his Illawarra League premierships with Wests – but he’s still leaning on lessons from that time in his fifth year as Dragons head coach.

McGregor moved into high performance after calling time on his playing career with the joint-venture in 2001, staying until Wayne Bennett brought in a new-look staff on his arrival in 2008.

It meant going back to work, but McGregor also took the opportunity to take charge of the Devils, winning three straight titles between 2009 and 2011.

It broke an 18-year title drought at Parrish Park, making him a lock as coach of the Wests Team of the Decade at the club’s 70th year anniversary dinner on Saturday night.

He said they were three years that put him on the path to becoming an NRL coach.

“It was the first time that I wasn’t involved in professional sport since I started [playing] back in the early 90s,” McGregor said.

“I went and got a job but I wanted to stay in rugby league. I got the opportunity to coach Wests and I really started enjoying the game again from doing that.

“They hadn’t won a comp for 18 years but they were thereabouts. I had a really good playing group, really tough, honest, committed that wanted to achieve something.

“I had nine juniors in my first year and they were that close they could taste it. They just wanted to bite into it.”

It was a fair apprenticeship and, in an era where most come through the junior coaching ranks, McGregor believes it’s still the best.

“A lot of coaches go through [SG] Ball or [Harold] Matts but you’re coaching boys there,” he said.

“In local footy you learn how to treat men with respect in what you’re all trying to achieve. You learn everything as well, you don’t just learn one thing.

“When you’re in the professional ranks you get pigeon-holed into one role. Coaching local footy you need a holistic approach to everything.

“You also learn that you’ve got to coach the group you’ve got not the one you’d like. You can’t just copy things, you’ve really got to coach the group you’ve got to be the best they can be.”

Memories of still traipsing a cold wet Parrish Park at 9 o’clock on a Tuesday or Thursday also help him appreciate times when the NRL pressure-cooker heats up.

“It gives you a really good understanding of the community and what people do for nothing in rugby league,” he said.

“I had guys working 40-plus hours a week, not much of it easy, that were still excited to train and play.

“After working all week they got the opportunity to play footy which they loved doing. It gives you that appreciation for what I get to do every day [now].

“The first one’s hard to back up but they backed it up comfortably the second one.

“By the third year they were probably a bit sick of me to be honest but they were three really good years. I’d do it all over again.”

2018 premiership-winning coach Peter McLeod was named assistant coach in the team of the decade and has already set his sights on going back-to-back for the first time since McGregor.

He’s retained a core group of players from last year’s grand final triumph, though some departures are notable. Five-eighth Zac Greene [Mounties] and hooker Josh Daley [Wests Magpies] are some key ones, as is the retirement of Glenn Stewart.

However, some familiar faces will return, including local junior and 174-game Super League veteran Rhys Hanbury, who’ll bring class to the spine.

Marty Cramp, Daniel Zohar, Will Te Maari, Michael Appleby and Declan Morrisey are some other old faces back on deck in what’s a still a largely youthful squad.

“We had a really young group last year and it was no fluke, we wanted to go that way,” McLeod said.

“We’ve had some guys move on to some higher levels. That’s what happens when you win a comp as young guy and as a coach I’ll encourage any young player to take those opportunities.

“We’ve got a young group again but a lot of them have won a comp now and been around for a little while so they have that experience and know what it takes.

“You have ins and outs every year and, even before any of those guys left, I knew we’d need to be better. It’s going to be tough this year, we know that.

“When you’re defending premiers everyone else is chasing you but I think we’ll have a group as good as anyone’s. It’s just about putting it together on the field.”

WEST DEVILS TEAM OF THE DECADE:

FULLBACK: Reece Simmonds

WING: Josh Goulton

CENTRE: Kevin McGuinness

CENTRE: Mitch Porter

WING: Michael Crockett

FIVE-EIGHTH: Nathan Dureau

HALFBACK: Blake Dureau

PROP: Greg Reh

HOOKER: Matt Clarke

PROP: Jason Ryles

SECOND-ROW: Danny Williams

SECOND-ROW: Glenn Stewart

LOCK: Eric Brown

INTERCHANGE: Wade Stanford

INTERCHANGE: James Grehan

INTERCHANGE: Justin King

INTERCHANGE: Aaron Hertsch

INTERCHANGE: Luke Muttden

COACH: Paul McGregor

ASSISTANT COACH: Peter McLeod

MANAGER: Jamie Ellem

STATS: Alpay Celebi

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...untry-road-still-paying-off-for-mary/?cs=3713

watatank

Coach
“In local footy you learn how to treat men with respect in what you’re all trying to achieve. You learn everything as well, you don’t just learn one thing.

“When you’re in the professional ranks you get pigeon-holed into one role. Coaching local footy you need a holistic approach to everything.

McGregor...always campaigning

“By the third year they were probably a bit sick of me to be honest but they were three really good years. I’d do it all over again.”

Can he do it again now? Could have another three-peat at Wests or try his luck at Dapto?

LINESPEED

Juniors
« McGregor moved into high performance after calling time on his « blah blah blah.....

FMD love the euphemisms for waterboy, sacked(by Bennett) & choker

Murdoch pushing his agenda again?
Ah yes there’ll be boats in the Illawarra & extensions for ‘stability’ WTF?

« Holistic approach to everything » & “you learn everything” does my head in!

Waterboy’s learnt nothing that’s detectable

Last edited:

IT’S been seven years since Paul McGregor lifted the third of his Illawarra League premierships with Wests – but he’s still leaning on lessons from that time in his fifth year as Dragons head coach.

McGregor moved into high performance after calling time on his playing career with the joint-venture in 2001, staying until Wayne Bennett brought in a new-look staff on his arrival in 2008.

It meant going back to work, but McGregor also took the opportunity to take charge of the Devils, winning three straight titles between 2009 and 2011.

It broke an 18-year title drought at Parrish Park, making him a lock as coach of the Wests Team of the Decade at the club’s 70th year anniversary dinner on Saturday night.

He said they were three years that put him on the path to becoming an NRL coach.

“It was the first time that I wasn’t involved in professional sport since I started [playing] back in the early 90s,” McGregor said.

“I went and got a job but I wanted to stay in rugby league. I got the opportunity to coach Wests and I really started enjoying the game again from doing that.

“They hadn’t won a comp for 18 years but they were thereabouts. I had a really good playing group, really tough, honest, committed that wanted to achieve something.

“I had nine juniors in my first year and they were that close they could taste it. They just wanted to bite into it.”

It was a fair apprenticeship and, in an era where most come through the junior coaching ranks, McGregor believes it’s still the best.

“A lot of coaches go through [SG] Ball or [Harold] Matts but you’re coaching boys there,” he said.

“You also learn that you’ve got to coach the group you’ve got not the one you’d like. You can’t just copy things, you’ve really got to coach the group you’ve got to be the best they can be.”

Memories of still traipsing a cold wet Parrish Park at 9 o’clock on a Tuesday or Thursday also help him appreciate times when the NRL pressure-cooker heats up.

“It gives you a really good understanding of the community and what people do for nothing in rugby league,” he said.

“I had guys working 40-plus hours a week, not much of it easy, that were still excited to train and play.

“After working all week they got the opportunity to play footy which they loved doing. It gives you that appreciation for what I get to do every day [now].

“The first one’s hard to back up but they backed it up comfortably the second one.

2018 premiership-winning coach Peter McLeod was named assistant coach in the team of the decade and has already set his sights on going back-to-back for the first time since McGregor.

He’s retained a core group of players from last year’s grand final triumph, though some departures are notable. Five-eighth Zac Greene [Mounties] and hooker Josh Daley [Wests Magpies] are some key ones, as is the retirement of Glenn Stewart.

However, some familiar faces will return, including local junior and 174-game Super League veteran Rhys Hanbury, who’ll bring class to the spine.

Marty Cramp, Daniel Zohar, Will Te Maari, Michael Appleby and Declan Morrisey are some other old faces back on deck in what’s a still a largely youthful squad.

“We had a really young group last year and it was no fluke, we wanted to go that way,” McLeod said.

“We’ve had some guys move on to some higher levels. That’s what happens when you win a comp as young guy and as a coach I’ll encourage any young player to take those opportunities.

“We’ve got a young group again but a lot of them have won a comp now and been around for a little while so they have that experience and know what it takes.

“You have ins and outs every year and, even before any of those guys left, I knew we’d need to be better. It’s going to be tough this year, we know that.

“When you’re defending premiers everyone else is chasing you but I think we’ll have a group as good as anyone’s. It’s just about putting it together on the field.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...untry-road-still-paying-off-for-mary/?cs=3713

F#ckwit portrays himself as a successful NRL coach. And the board support this muppet!!

Straight Shooter

to_ddeath

Coach
He's the Bennett of Bush League coaches...leave the bloke alone, hes the first in and the last out...and painted our gym while dripping red & white sweat.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Cheers Watatank

Warabrook saint

Juniors
« McGregor moved into high performance after calling time on his « blah blah blah.....

FMD love the euphemisms for waterboy, sacked(by Bennett) & choker

Murdoch pushing his agenda again?
Ah yes there’ll be boats in the Illawarra & extensions for ‘stability’ WTF?

« Holistic approach to everything » & “you learn everything” does my head in!

Waterboy’s learnt nothing that’s detectable
A fool cannot be educated

denis preston

First Grade
No news is great news ! I won't be so shitty if they do resign him , as long as it is at seasons end and based on how we go this season and no fu--en excuses accepted.Gets us to a GF then that's alright with me but nothing less and a 2 year contract at best.