What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary's Contract Be Extended For another 3 Year Term?

Sould Mary's Contract Be Extended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grouch

First Grade
I was at Kogarah the day we got bulldozed by Canterbury last year, and in my eyes it was the most horrendous effort by a Dragons side id seen. But for mine the players (apart from James Graham) were the ones to answer for. Not the coach.
How convenient. Credit the coach for the wins and the players for the losses.

McGregor has had long enough. Too long. Stagnancy is death. "Within a whisker of a prelim" is what we celebrate now. Ffs. How the mighty have fallen.

Last edited:

McGregor has had long enough. Too long. Stagnancy is death. "Within a whisker of a prelim" is what we celebrate now. Ffs. How the mighty have fallen.

Haha!! Interpret it however you want Mr Grouch.

Let us hope administration lifts its goals and starts working towards winning the premiership.

At present a top 8 finish constitutes a successful season.

Top 4 should be the base benchmark with a premiership win being the ultimate goal.

Some of us blame the coach, however the CEO and the board are ultimately responsible.

Let us hope administration lifts its goals and starts working towards winning the premiership.

At present a top 8 finish constitutes a successful season.

Top 4 should be the base benchmark with a premiership win being the ultimate goal.

Some of us blame the coach, however the CEO and the board are ultimately responsible.

Agreed. Although I’d suggest that ultimately everyone in the club, including the playing group is responsible.

True_Believer

Juniors

Do you accept mediocrity Grouch?

avocado

Juniors
Agreed - stability is not a standalone reason to sign someone. But that’s not the only sentiment of my post, if I assume correctly you’ve mentioned this on the back of mine.
Partly your post and partly others who are also in favour of McGregor being extended.
Stability seems to be a common theme when supporting our current coach.
He’s had more than enough time to prove himself. He’s proven to me he’s not up to it.

grouch

First Grade
Fair enough. So what can be done by us fans to change the situation?
Thanks for asking. In reality, not a great deal, since the club has gone for the autocratic dictatorship style of governance - joining the St George Leagues or Football clubs are our best bet but slow and (deliberately) frustrating.

All we have, ultimately, is our voice and our money. Make noise, spread the word, agitate, email the club, call the club, email the club again. Cancel your membership, buy merch from elsewhere. Email the club.

True_Believer

Juniors
Thanks for asking. In reality, not a great deal, since the club has gone for the autocratic dictatorship style of governance - joining the St George Leagues or Football clubs are our best bet but slow and (deliberately) frustrating.

All we have, ultimately, is our voice and our money. Make noise, spread the word, agitate, email the club, call the club, email the club again. Cancel your membership, buy merch from elsewhere. Email the club.

I can't speak for BBJF but what you've highlighted here is exactly what I took out of his post. Accepting mediocrity? Maybe. But in the end, at least for me, the battle just isn't worth it anymore. I don't have a membership and I almost always buy merch from elsewhere. How much of that makes it way back to the club though? How many emails actually get through if you aren't receiving replies?

As you said, it's deliberately frustrating and gets to a point where it's just not worth the anger or attention for some. I don't think it's so much accepting mediocrity as having mediocrity forced upon you with very little available to counter it.

BLM01

First Grade
I can't speak for BBJF but what you've highlighted here is exactly what I took out of his post. Accepting mediocrity? Maybe. But in the end, at least for me, the battle just isn't worth it anymore. I don't have a membership and I almost always buy merch from elsewhere. How much of that makes it way back to the club though? How many emails actually get through if you aren't receiving replies?

As you said, it's deliberately frustrating and gets to a point where it's just not worth the anger or attention for some. I don't think it's so much accepting mediocrity as having mediocrity forced upon you with very little available to counter it.
Correct. The Untouchables. The poor front office staff are the ones to get the emails and phone calls and the decision makers about how far they travel up the line....but I guarantee the end of the line is the media management!

warwickdragon

Juniors
I actually think that Mcgregor has some merit as a coach but looking at the recent history of coaches, no one other than the two super coaches have won premierships past their seventh year at a club. Most have won in their first four years and appeared in stagnation thereafter. This would be a pressing reason for coaching succession

getsmarty

Immortal
I actually think that Mcgregor has some merit as a coach but looking at the recent history of coaches, no one other than the two super coaches have won premierships past their seventh year at a club. Most have won in their first four years and appeared in stagnation thereafter. This would be a pressing reason for coaching succession

" He may have some merit as a coach ",,,,Quick question...can he win us a premiership ? At the end of the day that is the goal....I say no based on what we have already seen over 5 years...

If that's the case, he we need to look elsewhere...unfortunately we will be stuck with him for another 4 years and an opportunity to win a premiership gone.

BLM01

First Grade
" He may have some merit as a coach ",,,,Quick question...can he win us a premiership ? At the end of the day that is the goal....I say no based on what we have already seen over 5 years...

If that's the case, he we need to look elsewhere...unfortunately we will be stuck with him for another 4 years and an opportunity to win a premiership gone.
Yeh funny now the local paper decides to do a full artcile of Wests Illlawarra in support by for some reason highlighting his 3 successive premierships at a high level in Wests Illawarra when they had not won a comp for 18 years and how he is the man to get the job done as he proved it there using the line he served his "apprenticeship"and he has been with our club with HPU (waterboy) roles except the successful Bennett era.
Funny...they did not mention his time as reserve grade coach or assistant to Price!..hmmmm..which I thought would be more of judgement as an apprentice
It is clear the Illawarra Mercury is stroking his paint brush and trying to push the board into a decision

hewi

Bench
Reminds me of Brownie, had the cattle but couldn’t quite put the icing on the cake. Along comes Bennett and bingo we get a premiership. After 5 years I don’t think he can win one . Time for a change.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Yeh funny now the local paper decides to do a full artcile of Wests Illlawarra in support by for some reason highlighting his 3 successive premierships at a high level in Wests Illawarra when they had not won a comp for 18 years and how he is the man to get the job done as he proved it there using the line he served his "apprenticeship"and he has been with our club with HPU (waterboy) roles except the successful Bennett era.
Funny...they did not mention his time as reserve grade coach or assistant to Price!..hmmmm..which I thought would be more of judgement as an apprentice
It is clear the Illawarra Mercury is stroking his paint brush and trying to push the board into a decision

the Mercury is Pravda.

Any chance you can copy paste this propaganda so we can all have a hearty LOL?

possm

Coach

I have seen enough over the past few weeks while watching last seasons games on Fox that Mary has no game plan to counter surprise tactics of opposition coaches. In addition Widdop does not have a clue on how to adjust on the field to counter threats or exploit opportunities.

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
All these coaching advisors the club gets for him end up leaving because they can't work with him, and management does nothing about it. Talk about self entitlement

Mary hasn’t improved much since those days at Wests Illawarra, I am sure he will be welcomed back on his return.

2020 would not be too soon.