What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should NZ become an AFL nation?

timmy!!!!

Juniors
Dean Moriarty said:
dimitri said:
Also, the IR has got the crowds,
i think you will find that all the ashes tests are sold out
the last 2 aus tests in sydney have been sold out
we have got crowds to world cup finals that only
aussie rules or is it international rules can only dream of
oh yeah thats right australia doesnt play at the aussie/int rules world cup because they would win 500-0

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The IR test in Melbourne had a crowd of over 60,000. The Ashes games won't be getting that many, I woudn't have thought.

There's no IR world cup - you mean the Aussie Rules World Cup (and you have a good point but I've yet to find an AR fan who really cares).

Atleast one person knows what they are talking about.

Most aussie rules fans would know as much about aussie rules in other countries as Dimitri. The AR world cup is for amateur leagues where most players didn't grow up on the game. It is purely a development thing that allows them to play on proper fields with proper facilities, equipment, umpires and the like (not to mention getting to see a professional game or two). No one claims that it is of any great level or that our game is popular overseas (except tasmania) because of it.

dimitri

First Grade
The IR test in Melbourne had a crowd of over 60,000. The Ashes games won't be getting that many, I woudn't have thought.

but there will be 3 ashes games compared to 2 INT rules games

international rugby league certainly gets better crowds overall when including world cup finals, tests, and other tournaments

the tri-series will also be successful because both nz and gb have improved

roopy

Referee
TV viewing figures are only really good for one thing - convincing sponsers to support a code.
If I were an NRL exec trying to convince a sponser to throw dollars the way of the NRL over AFL I would point out that you also get a million Kiwis and a fair few viewers in the UK for your bucks.

PS - I hope I am allowed to have an opinion on this since I am one of the half a million fanatical league supporters in the Hunter region who apparently don't register on the AFL radar screens.

dimitri

First Grade
TV viewing figures are only really good for one thing - convincing sponsers to support a code.
If I were an NRL exec trying to convince a sponser to throw dollars the way of the NRL over AFL I would point out that you also get a million Kiwis and a fair few viewers in the UK for your bucks.

PS - I hope I am allowed to have an opinion on this since I am one of the half a million fanatical league supporters in the Hunter region who apparently don't register on the AFL radar screens.

thats true

RL just has more widespread appeal

haha
unfortunately you arent in the ratings catchment area

Alan Shore

First Grade
timmy!!!! said:
Dean Moriarty said:
dimitri said:
Also, the IR has got the crowds,
i think you will find that all the ashes tests are sold out
the last 2 aus tests in sydney have been sold out
we have got crowds to world cup finals that only
aussie rules or is it international rules can only dream of
oh yeah thats right australia doesnt play at the aussie/int rules world cup because they would win 500-0

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no IR world cup - you mean the Aussie Rules World Cup (and you have a good point but I've yet to find an AR fan who really cares).

Atleast one person knows what they are talking about.

Most aussie rules fans would know as much about aussie rules in other countries as Dimitri. The AR world cup is for amateur leagues where most players didn't grow up on the game. It is purely a development thing that allows them to play on proper fields with proper facilities, equipment, umpires and the like (not to mention getting to see a professional game or two). No one claims that it is of any great level or that our game is popular overseas (except tasmania) because of it.

Shame Grayhamster doesn't think like that. He reckons AR will take NZ by storm and will become an international sport :lol:

dimitri

First Grade
i can see it now
final of the aussie rules world cup

aus v nauru played at nauru football stadium

capacity crowd of 50 people

timmy!!!!

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
Shame Grayhamster doesn't think like that. He reckons AR will take NZ by storm and will become an international sport :lol:

He very well could be right. No one really knows what will happen but it is growing in NZ and should continue to do so for a while.

dimitri

First Grade
aus will overcome naurus tough defence in the last quarter to run away with it

100.25 - 625

2.5 - 17

grayham

Juniors
roopy said:

There is no doubt NRL has sold itself to TV, and become a TV sport. What other sport in the world allows its top level comp slip below 10,000 crowds regularly.
But just like TV programs, when a sport is only there for the use of TV, it will eventually run its course like Gilligans Island or Lost in Space, and be first shifted of to pay TV, then gone altogether.
If thats what you want, then thats what you'll get.

roopy

Referee
grayham said:
roopy said:

There is no doubt NRL has sold itself to TV, and become a TV sport. What other sport in the world allows its top level comp slip below 10,000 crowds regularly.
But just like TV programs, when a sport is only there for the use of TV, it will eventually run its course like Gilligans Island or Lost in Space, and be first shifted of to pay TV, then gone altogether.

Rugby League is a TV sport - I agree - but it has been a TV sport all my life so far, and shows no sign of becoming less popular.
Because I live in Newcastle where we didn't have a team till 1988 I never actually went to a top grade match till I was 30 years old - yet I was still a league fanatic even then.

A sport designed for TV primarily is not only possible, but is totally desirable. Soccer makes billions of dollars a year as a sport, and the percentage of that money that comes from gate receipts is so tiny they hardly count it. Marketing people in soccer refer to crowds as 'colour', meaning they are only there to make the TV spectacle look better. Most English soccer matches try to break even with the cost/ticket price ratio of putting on a game.

AFL isn't good on TV and is stuck in a tiny geographical area because of that. I think their administration is doing a fantastic job in making the very best strides they can to expand the game, but they are trying to push shit uphill with a stick IMO.

League has huge free to air TV audiences and huge pay TV audiences as well, and it has more and more people watching all the time. Over the past five years or so, since the end of Super League, the number of TV views of NRL games has more than doubled if you take the expansion of pay TV and the growth of ratings on free to air into account. With the game now on pay Tv in NZ, USA and UK as well, the audience just continues to grow.

I saw a statistic the other day that said the Manchester United soccer club has more fans worldwide than the sports of Union, League and AFL put together - and you can bet that only about 1% of those fans will have been to Manchesters home ground for a game.

Big gates will get a sport to a certain level in today's world, but only TV will make it into a 'big' sport on the world stage.

When I look at the place that AFL is right now and conpare it with where League is, I would much rather be riding the TV bandwagon with League than trying to think of a way of making billions out of the Melbourne grannies who take their knitting to watch the footy.

dimitri

First Grade
another example linking tv with world sport is soccer in australia

heaps watch soccer comps from all over the world on tv

but very little will actually attend an nsl game

:)

timmy!!!!

Juniors
dimitri said:
another example linking tv with world sport is soccer in australia

heaps watch soccer comps from all over the world on tv

but very little will actually attend an nsl game

:)

But that is due to the quality of the NSL. No one is watching the NSL on TV. Do they even bother showing NSL games on TV?

grayham

Juniors
roopy said:
grayham said:
roopy said:

Rugby League is a TV sport - I agree - but it has been a TV sport all my life so far, and shows no sign of becoming less popular.
Because I live in Newcastle where we didn't have a team till 1988 I never actually went to a top grade match till I was 30 years old - yet I was still a league fanatic even then.

A sport designed for TV primarily is not only possible, but is totally desirable. Soccer makes billions of dollars a year as a sport, and the percentage of that money that comes from gate receipts is so tiny they hardly count it. Marketing people in soccer refer to crowds as 'colour', meaning they are only there to make the TV spectacle look better. Most English soccer matches try to break even with the cost/ticket price ratio of putting on a game.

AFL isn't good on TV and is stuck in a tiny geographical area because of that. I think their administration is doing a fantastic job in making the very best strides they can to expand the game, but they are trying to push sh*t uphill with a stick IMO.

League has huge free to air TV audiences and huge pay TV audiences as well, and it has more and more people watching all the time. Over the past five years or so, since the end of Super League, the number of TV views of NRL games has more than doubled if you take the expansion of pay TV and the growth of ratings on free to air into account. With the game now on pay Tv in NZ, USA and UK as well, the audience just continues to grow.

I saw a statistic the other day that said the Manchester United soccer club has more fans worldwide than the sports of Union, League and AFL put together - and you can bet that only about 1% of those fans will have been to Manchesters home ground for a game.

Big gates will get a sport to a certain level in today's world, but only TV will make it into a 'big' sport on the world stage.

When I look at the place that AFL is right now and conpare it with where League is, I would much rather be riding the TV bandwagon with League than trying to think of a way of making billions out of the Melbourne grannies who take their knitting to watch the footy.

Nice theory, except AFL still makes more money out of TV than league does, and it hasnt had to sell its soul to do so.

incredible_holc

Juniors
do you know what i find funny and hipocritical????

Even though i agree with you, is the way all these union defenders tell us how wrong we are for not liking other sports, how we should accept other sports even if we dont understand it, we just dont like union because we arnt used to it and how we shouldnt bag games that arnt league and give them a try, but then as soon as someone mentions AFL in NZ they start paying it out, saying its a stupid game and stuff like this. Well whats different? than us paying out RU or AFL than you paying out AFL????

grayham

Juniors
ThrashViking said:
Uhh..What a stupid topic
No one LIKES AFL IN NEW ZEALAND
Our 'Grass roots' is a social league for crying out loud!

Sounds like Rugby Union in Australia then.