What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings/Losses

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Reported on seven local news, Carl Webb likely to head to the ESL and Ty Williams likely to retire at the end of the season.

Kilkenny

Coach
Two very good signings in Tate and Winterstein. Tate is he stays fit is a quality centre.

Cowboys probably need a bit of 'clear out' and start again approach to reinvent themselves. I think there was always too much expectation surroundings the Cowboys from the media and the like which placed undue expectation on where you should finish.

Certainly, the two new recruits for 2011 are likely to be a step in the right direction.

Talanexor

Juniors
Yeah, but the backline depth falls away a bit unless some of the u20s step up - I do NOT want to see Graham, Williams or Bani playing first grade next year.

Talanexor

Juniors
Forward pack still needs some muscle. Any targets been mentioned? Apprently Tronc has just re-signed with Broncos, so he's out.

8. Scott
9. Payne/Watts
10. Mason
11. Bolton
12. L Ah Mau
13. Hogan

14. Watts/Payne/Taumata
15. Tamou
16. Another prop
17. Another prop/backrower

Talanexor

Juniors
Shame - he's too good for QLD Cup but has Payne and Watts in front of him. I would ALMOST have preferred to keep Amos over Payne...

We really need to make sure we hang onto Watts and Segeyaro now.

elyod138

Bench
Good, IMO.

He has improved his discipline this year but I still don't rate him as highly as most Cowboys fans.

Payne is a superior hooker IMO and I think he will be back to his best as soon as the whole team finds some form.

Talanexor

Juniors
Fingers crossed he's just having a laugh.

I rate Watts big time, have since he first came to the club. He's been our best all year and has improved out of sight in his time at the club.

Big Pete

Referee
According to RLW the Cowboys are looking at Ashton's brother Tariq Sims who's currently killing it in the Toyota Cup.

elyod138

Bench
According to RLW the Cowboys are looking at Ashton's brother Tariq Sims who's currently killing it in the Toyota Cup.

A guy, who I know has connections at both the Broncos and Cowboys, says it's a done deal (you probably saw it on BHQ).

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
According to the Bulletin we're in talks with a number of players. Looks like the cleanout is happening.

Hopefully there's a spot for some of our u20's to step up, but I'm not sure who's ready. Segeyaro might need to play a few games off the bench - with Amos and Watts leaving we're a bit short of hookers.

Ianc

Juniors
Versatility behind signing of Tariq Sims

JOSH ALSTON

July 8th, 2010

THE Cowboys' recruitment drive has snared another promising young player with Broncos forward Tariq Sims signing for North Queensland for the next two seasons.

The younger brother of NRL regular Ashton has been one of the leading lights in the Brisbane under-20s side and has also been training regularly with the first-grade squad.

Standing at more than 190cm, able to play in either the front or back row and boasting a motor that can churn out 70-80 minutes on a regular basis, his ability to play was unquestionable.

But according to Cowboys recruitment manager Adrian "Happy" Thompson, it was his attributes as a bloke that most impressed the club.

"He's a very good lad with very good character, he has the attitude and the will to succeed," Thompson said.

"He's obviously been going well in the 20s and he's been 18th man a number of times for the Broncos in firsts.

"We're impressed with his versatility at prop, he has good leg speed and a good workrate.

"He also plays close to 80 minutes up front which makes for pretty impressive stats."

Sims is the first of many signings likely to be announced in the coming weeks, with the Cowboys in the midst of a major clean-out following three successive years without finals football.

In the forwards, the club has already lost Antonio Kaufusi and Manase Manuokafoa (both released) as well as Steve Rapira (Warriors).

Steve Southern, Clint Amos and Carl Webb are also extremely unlikely to be offered new deals while hooker Anthony Watts will depart for the Sydney Roosters at season's end.

Mitchell Achurch, Isaak Ah Mau, Nick Slyney and Dane Hogan are also off contract while the club is fighting to nut out new deals for Willie Mason and Luke O'Donnell.

Grant Rovelli and John Williams are two off-contract backs fighting for new deals while it is understood Ty Williams, Don Malone and Obe Geia will almost definitely move on at season's end.

That leaves the Cowboys' recruiters a major job to rebuild the roster and talks are continuing with high-profile players in Sydney.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/07/08/152431_cowboys.html