What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings/Losses

Big Pete

Referee
Nobody disagreed with you on Bani. Just you blaming him for every loss in spite of the likes of Southern and J. Williams playing worse.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Mitchell Dale speaking on behalf of Rugby League Week seemed quite confident of Dallas Johnson's signing with NQ, whilst speaking on Tattsbet Breakfast this morning. Whether that means he has his clearance from Catalans remains to be seen.

This has really got my juices flowing. The prospect of having Johnson in our side means we'll have two defensive hardarses in both the backs (with Tate) and forwards.

I'm praying to the football gods we get him.

Talanexor

Juniors
Hopefully we sign him, but damn, are we going to get some props to help Scotty out...?

Are there any left on the open market?

You could almost say the best 'prop' off contract is in fact Mason. Tandy, Tronc, White, Hannant...they've all been snapped up.

MAYBE we could have a crack at Luke Bailey? He's definitely past his best, but he IS a leader and plays consistently. He's probably a better option than anyone else available at the moment, but it all comes down to $$$.

Charlie124

First Grade
Tal..... really??? First Troy Thompson and now Bailey?? whats gotten into you lately with wanting to sign up guys like these? We need (and are in the middle of) a huge cleanout and rebuilding of the playing group. We're not looking for the discards and dregs from other clubs who cant get a gig anywhere else, we're not a charity. We're after quality players to build the club around. Like the Bulldogs did a couple of years ago, we want to sign quality in key positions, not just anyone we can get our hands on.

Talanexor

Juniors
I wouldn't go signing Thompson or Bailey as my first choice. But you have to admit, Tamou and Tariq Sims are still a little green, no matter how talented they are. Every half decent prop who is 25-30 and in their prime is locked up by their respective clubs. We could do worse than sign Thompson or Bailey on a one-year deal to mentor the younger guys.

I still don't feel we have enough forward depth at the club, and unless we start signing guys from QLD Cup, I can't see where we are going to find quality props.

EDIT: And if we're looking at QLD Cup, then we're probably scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Charlie124

First Grade
I think Tamou is more than ready for a fulltime starting spot, he's paid his dues off the bench for us and i think he's earned it by now. Id hate to see him lost to another club just because we kept him on the bench for 3 years and signed some has beens to leapfrog him into the starting team. I agree that we need some depth but signing a well over the hill Bailey or a cant get a first grade spot over Brett f**king White Thompson is certainly not the answer.

You say we could do worse....maybe, but i know we could do better.

elyod138

Bench
I don't know why you guys are talking about Bailey like he's Carl Webb, have you even watched him play lately?

On form (which has been consistent for a couple of years at least) he would be amongst the top few props, at NRL level. His stats are even better than Matt Scott's.

Talanexor

Juniors
Actually you're right. I just checked it out. Bailey is averaging more minutes, more metres and more tackles than Matt Scott. I thought he was struggling a bit tbh.

My big issue is that if Matt Scott gets injured, who gets us down the other end of the field? I think Tamou is developing nicely, but not enough to be our 2nd best prop.

8. Scott
9. Payne
10. Bailey
11. Bolton
12. Mason
13. Johnson

14. Taumata
15. Tamou
16. Hogan
17. Ah Mau

18. T Sims
19. A Sims
20. Harris

Looks pretty sweet. One or two more depth forwards and we're sweet. In fact, our starting pack is almost totally rep (or ex-rep) players.

elyod138

Bench
I think there's a good chance he'll be one of our starting back rowers, depending on if we re-sign Mason (which looks unlikely).

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Good signing Cooper is. The addition of Cooper, Tate & hopefully DJ will really strengthen the Cowboys defense up next year.

Luke Capewell is expected to sign with either the Cowboys or Titans in the next few weeks. I think it's no real loss if the Cowboys miss out on him because their fullback/halves stocks are pretty decent, but he could be a good signing. IMO one of Taumata/Thompson will be 5/8 with one of them on the bench and Morgan will be in the U20s/QLD Cup as a back up. With JT always seeming to get injured lately I think it could be a good idea to add Capewell in there.

Talanexor

Juniors
Actually, do we have much in the way of fullback stocks, other than Bowen and Gallant?

Gallant's defence has been shocking this year - one on one or close to the line, you just know he isn't going to stop them. Can Winterstein play fullback in case Bowen AND Gallant are unavailable? If not, then Capewell might be a smart signing.

elyod138

Bench
Actually, do we have much in the way of fullback stocks, other than Bowen and Gallant?

Gallant's defence has been shocking this year - one on one or close to the line, you just know he isn't going to stop them. Can Winterstein play fullback in case Bowen AND Gallant are unavailable? If not, then Capewell might be a smart signing.

Elisala and Ulugia are great fullback prospects, Capewell is more suited to the halves.

I'm pretty sure Fai-Fai Loa has played fullback before, I'm not sure how he went.

Cowboys woo

Juniors
Yeah I read that Faifai Loa is being seen as the possible successor to Mango at fullback. Personally I would rather see him on the wing wreaking havoc sort of like Tuiaki did in his prime, they seem like pretty similar players.

Elisala at fullback would be a better option IMO

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Ulugia should be given the role after mango calls it quits.
Better long term prospect than elisala - who is flashy but not quite as well rounded.

Faifailoa is a very good signing imo.
Looked very dangerous.

now, that tate is injured who will cover centres??

Talanexor

Juniors
Ulugia should be given the role after mango calls it quits.
Better long term prospect than elisala - who is flashy but not quite as well rounded.

Faifailoa is a very good signing imo.
Looked very dangerous.

now, that tate is injured who will cover centres??

I think Ulugia is probably more likely to play first grade this year than Elisala, because he's more used to playing wing.

Here are our options for centre (in my preferred order)

Move Winterstein to centre, bring in Tupou, Graham, Ulugia, Bani (in that order) on the wing

Move Gavin Cooper to centre

Move Dom Walsh to centre

Move Tupou to centre

Latest posts