What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Simply not good enough': Annesley tells refs to lift their game

Hawkins

Juniors
Annesley sitting on his throne handing down decrees can be fun at times but his stance on Peta Hiku is an opinion that is not supported by the events on the day.

Yeah he copped a smack and ended up off field but the knights scored on the next play. The NRL has a lot of amateur thespians that the refs deal with week in week out. There was no trainer / medic at his side and he was moving I think Annesley is wrong.

Are the refs supposed to stop play every time a player goes down sort of but not really down but close to down?

In real time they acknowledged he was stunned and noted play was no where near him. He was safe and it was the Warriors trainer / medic who let him down.

If play is stopped every time something like that happens attacking team have no advantage. Hiku was safe they did the right thing.

And a knee to the head of lodge might be wrong. But its also funny.

f**k the f**king f**ker

Annesley sitting on his throne handing down decrees can be fun at times but his stance on Peta Hiku is an opinion that is not supported by the events on the day.

Yeah he copped a smack and ended up off field but the knights scored on the next play. The NRL has a lot of amateur thespians that the refs deal with week in week out. There was no trainer / medic at his side and he was moving I think Annesley is wrong.

Are the refs supposed to stop play every time a player goes down sort of but not really down but close to down?

In real time they acknowledged he was stunned and noted play was no where near him. He was safe and it was the Warriors trainer / medic who let him down.

If play is stopped every time something like that happens attacking team have no advantage. Hiku was safe they did the right thing.

And a knee to the head of lodge might be wrong. But its also funny.

f**k the f**king f**ker

On this one I have to disagree. Referees do have a duty of care towards the players, and when you consider we know there are law firms looking at class actions, Annesley is aware of this hence his reaction. I've been out on the filed as a junior referee when players have gotten hurt, and have had to stop games because you could tell a player is hurt. Heck I had one ground where 3 weeks running we had to stop the game and wait for ambulances as we had potentially very serious injuries (as in potential neck/spinal injuries) requiring the player to be taken away in an ambulance, and this was at a ground where the home club had St Johns Ambulance medics on hand, as I saw the problem well before anyone else that the player was in real trouble. Thankfully they just turned out to be "burners" or "numbness" but everyone concerned thought it was the right call (both the players, coaching staffs, the junior league official and my referees advisory board member).

Yes there are "actors" as you have pointed out, but that is where the MRC, the Judiciary and the NRL should be stepping to punish the fakers. That is where the game is being let down.

The referee though has at all times to exercise a duty of care, and on this one the referees blew it for Peter Hiku by not stopping it for him to be attended to.

TheFrog

Coach

We got a try pulled back in a final against the Broncos a couple of years ago because Oates banged his head. He went off but played the following week. Why the trainer could not come on and give him attention beats me. You shouldn't be disallowing tries because the other side has an injury in the middle of a play. In the Hiku one play continued past the tackle,which is a bit different.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Earlier in the season the refs created a howler that stopped the Roosters from beating the Broncos

Then they ballsed up Saturday's game and the Tigers lost to the Roosters

As the Roosters would have won one and lost one and that's what happened there is no need to make any changes to their points. But surely they need to take two points off the Broncos and give them to the Tigers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

hahahaa gold

as much as the decisions sucked they didnt cost us the game. cory thompson blew a try thats scored 99% of the time. thats cost us more then the manu foot in touch imo

Danish

Referee
the problem with a few of the VR clangers is the speed at which the decisions were made. The media were up in arms when every angle was being looked at and decisions were taking minutes to achieve, and I get that this time period is too long. There is a concerted effort by the bunker to make the decision as fast as possible to keep the game flowing and the game has been bragging about how quickly these decisions are now being made.

but

that penrith warriors game a few weeks ago, that try to the winger for NZ (name escapes me, where he dived from 5m out) they looked at 2 angles and for mine, I had a gut feeling they had better angles to look at, but they just awarded it and it concerned me watching it on tv. I couldn’t believe there wasn’t more scrutiny placed on it because his hand was close to the line in the shots we saw on tv and you could tell it needed better angles to adjudicate on.

One replayed from the side on camera while the conversion was being setting up proved they f**ked up royally, all it would have taken was a little bit of patience and brains to wait for better angles to make their way through to be able to make their decision on.

Making a decision in fast time isn’t always the better option.

The problem with that decision is that the VR quite obviously wasn't even looking at the hand. Even in the 2 angles they showed, it was clear the hand was at worst in touch simultaneously to the ball being planted - which is a no try.

But the ref wasn't even looking at it. He had tunnel vision watching if the player's feet were up, and once they confirmed that, they just hit the green button.

I'm honestly not sure that they'd have made the right all even if they saw the other angle

butchmcdick

Immortal
The problem with that decision is that the VR quite obviously wasn't even looking at the hand. Even in the 2 angles they showed, it was clear the hand was at worst in touch simultaneously to the ball being planted - which is a no try.

But the ref wasn't even looking at it. He had tunnel vision watching if the player's feet were up, and once they confirmed that, they just hit the green button.

I'm honestly not sure that they'd have made the right all even if they saw the other angle

I too think the bunker is shite

However I too think if they binned it Gould, Rabs Et Al. would be raging about the on field refs getting decisions wrong

This whole system came about because the channel nine team f**king whinged like squat to piss bitches about the refs not using video replays

Then they whinged it was taking too long

I'm cool with the on ground officials making the call and play moves on

If they get some wrong so f**king be it

Danish

Referee
I too think the bunker is shite

However I too think if they binned it Gould, Rabs Et Al. would be raging about the on field refs getting decisions wrong

This whole system came about because the channel nine team f**king whinged like squat to piss bitches about the refs not using video replays

Then they whinged it was taking too long

I'm cool with the on ground officials making the call and play moves on

If they get some wrong so f**king be it

I agree. If the on field ref makes a blunder live, them’s the breaks. When a bloke with all the angles and time still f**ks up, it’s unforgivable.

Video is here to stay though

beave

Coach
Lol Fusitua is the lads name. He is an international winger and scored the most tries last year in the NRL, he really isn’t an unknown random

i was on the shitter at work and was rushing to get my insight down quickly..... ain’t nobody got time for players names in that situation.

Saxon

Bench
Referees Gerard Sutton and Ashley Klein blew 12 penalties in the first half of last night's Origin game three. By contrast there were just two penalties in the second 40 minutes. But Annesley denies until he's blue in the face that the refs got a touch up by their boss at half time.

News Ltd. said:
NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the dramatic reduction in penalties was a consequence of the first-half crackdown and not due to officials telling referees to put their whistles away.

“It has to be placed in the context that this was an Origin decider,” Annesley told AAP.

“Both teams were trying to establish their dominance. When that happens teams are going to push the rules to the limit, particularly in the play-the-ball and the 10 metres.

“If the referees just ignored that, the game degenerates into an arm wrestle for 80 minutes.

“I believe that the action that they took in the first half allowed the game to open up in the second half.”

Yep, sure Graham. And the moon is made of green cheese.

The first half was like it was the first time Sutton and Klown had ever been on telly. "Look at me, Mum. Look at me."

forby

Juniors
The refs just forgot in the first half that it was an origin game where anything goes. To hear the way the commentators carried on it was if it is expected that origin should be refereed differently to normal games. Why?
The rules should apply the same every game. Imagine how Melbourne and the Roosters would benefit by that. Wait on, even with normal reffing they get the benefit!

no name

Coach
The supposed number 1 or 2 referee in the game, Klein, absolutely f**ks another call up in the Bunker.

I thought Reimis Smith bobbled the ball on the ground, meaning it shouldn’t have been a try.
I can, however, see that people may feel he still had control of the ball and think it should have been a try. And if that was the case, then I wouldn’t have agreed but could handle the decision.

But for this plonker to award the try because there ‘wasn’t enough evidence to overturn the on field decision’ shows the incompetence we are dealing with.

There is obviously a flaw in the process that the video refs use in the bunker, because they shouldn’t be getting it so wrong so often.

f**king frustrates the f**k out of me.

aqua_duck

Coach
The supposed number 1 or 2 referee in the game, Klein, absolutely f**ks another call up in the Bunker.

I thought Reimis Smith bobbled the ball on the ground, meaning it shouldn’t have been a try.
I can, however, see that people may feel he still had control of the ball and think it should have been a try. And if that was the case, then I wouldn’t have agreed but could handle the decision.

But for this plonker to award the try because there ‘wasn’t enough evidence to overturn the on field decision’ shows the incompetence we are dealing with.

There is obviously a flaw in the process that the video refs use in the bunker, because they shouldn’t be getting it so wrong so often.

f**king frustrates the f**k out of me.
I was always skeptical when they unveiled the bunker because no matter how much money they spent and how much the paid a consultant to come up with a fancy name it was still the same plonkers making the decisions.
I agree that it could've went either way and I'm not going to blame that decision for the loss but the decision making process was reminiscent of an employee who f**ks up, realises they've f**ked up then tries to hide their f**k up. The fact he looked at it from 3-4 different angles 10-15 times from so long that he forgot the on field decision then had to re look at it again would suggest to anyone with common sense that he wasn't sure, the fact he even admitted that there was insufficient evidence to overturn then overturned just created an absolute dogs breakfast and it's not the first time Klein has made a massive blunder in the Bunker, unfortunately he seems to be a protected species so nothing will be made of it

lyhffigrut931.jpg

The Bye

Juniors
Absolutely brilliant by the young lad getting in those dopes to remind himself that despite his situation, there are people out there that are far worse off than him.

BxTom

Bench
Great idea Gong !!
I'm in that industry . . . and we make them up for factories for their LTI record, etc.
We usually put 3 rows of digits, to enable up to 999 days displayed.
If the refs get me in to make theirs, I'll include a 4th row . . . . no charge.
It'll come in handy !!
Is that for weeks or years?