What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Simply not good enough': Annesley tells refs to lift their game

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And another bunker shocker last night. The ball travels backward past Isaiah Papali’i ‘s hands then bounces forward off his shin in the lead up to a potential try. At no point could the ball have traveled forward off the hands and the the call was sent upstairs as a try. The replay showed no deflection off his hands so no conclusive proof he even touched the ball. Yet somehow it was ruled a knock on conclusively enough to overrule the onfield call. Second time in consecutive weeks that has happened to the same team.

Diesel

Referee
Annersley sums it up, the refs aren’t up to standard but we have no one better to replace them with.
This falls directly on Todd. He’s in charge of the game including the officials. What is he doing to fix it? Nothing

mave

Coach
Annersley sums it up, the refs aren’t up to standard but we have no one better to replace them with.
This falls directly on Todd. He’s in charge of the game including the officials. What is he doing to fix it? Nothing

Todd is too busy coming up with new and more inventive ways to keep Soccer mums (whose kids will never be allowed to play the sport anyway) happy....while the rest of his current customer base gets more and more frustrated with the way things are going.

It's bad business Toddy.

Yesterday was diabolical.
SOO was refereed differently after half time.
Crazy inconsistencies even within the same game, let alone week to week.
The list goes on and on.

GongPanther

Referee
And another bunker shocker last night. The ball travels backward past Isaiah Papali’i ‘s hands then bounces forward off his shin in the lead up to a potential try. At no point could the ball have traveled forward off the hands and the the call was sent upstairs as a try. The replay showed no deflection off his hands so no conclusive proof he even touched the ball. Yet somehow it was ruled a knock on conclusively enough to overrule the onfield call. Second time in consecutive weeks that has happened to the same team.
I hope the bunker is not getting the live audio feed from the networks. It irks me no end when a commentator pushes his agenda via his skyrocket.

Diesel

Referee
I hope the bunker is not getting the live audio feed from the networks. It irks me no end when a commentator pushes his agenda via his skyrocket.
I’ve often wondered that.
The camera angles are provided by Fox/9 and I’m sure they’d be watching the match as it unfolds, with full commentary

no name

Coach
I’m usually one for jumping up and down when the little bloke (teams like Warriors, Titans) get stiffed, but I think that touches like that from Papalii, while I agree it went backwards, has been consistently ruled as knock ons in the past few years.

Was still a harsh call, and they probably need to look at what they call knock on/knock back, but you could highlight a heap of those most weekends. Not all of them lead to potential tries but.

mave

Coach
The camera angles are provided by Fox/9 and I’m sure they’d be watching the match as it unfolds, with full commentary

Bunker really shouldn't have any idea of the current score, exact game time left, or have any view as to how the particular match has been reffed to date...and they certainly shouldnt be listening to the commentators dribbling about perceived wrongs.

Natural human bias plays a part, I'm sure.

Probably too hard to achieve this though.

Zadar

Juniors

Isn’t the bunker footage only from fox sports? Doubt they have Gould’s rabble going on in the background.

GongPanther

Referee
I’m usually one for jumping up and down when the little bloke (teams like Warriors, Titans) get stiffed, but I think that touches like that from Papalii, while I agree it went backwards, has been consistently ruled as knock ons in the past few years.

Was still a harsh call, and they probably need to look at what they call knock on/knock back, but you could highlight a heap of those most weekends. Not all of them lead to potential tries but.
Years ago the rule was a simplified one.

If the ball touched your hands, and it didn't mater in which way you were facing, if the ball was going in an opposite direction to the opposition's goal line, it was not a knock on...there was no advancement towards the opponent's goal line.

Like I mentioned in another thread during the week, two refs, simplify the rules, and no bunker.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Years ago the rule was a simplified one.

If the ball touched your hands, and it didn't mater in which way you were facing, if the ball was going in an opposite direction to the opposition's goal line, it was not a knock on...there was no advancement towards the opponent's goal line.

Like I mentioned in another thread during the week, two refs, simplify the rules, and no bunker.

It’s perhaps the single most fundamental concept in the rugby codes- the ball cannot be propelled forward with the hands, it can only carried or kicked. If the ball is forward from the hands it is deemed a knock in or forward pass. Why mess with something so perfectly simple?

GongPanther

Referee
It’s perhaps the single most fundamental concept in the rugby codes- the ball cannot be propelled forward with the hands, it can only carried or kicked. If the ball is forward from the hands it is deemed a knock in or forward pass. Why mess with something so perfectly simple?
And the purpose of this rule is to not give an attacking player an unfair advantage.

But I highly doubt any rule changes would be reverted. One can only hold ones breath for so long.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

My biggest problem with the call was that it was ruled play on at the time then referred back as a try so required conclusive proof of a knock on to overturn. The footage showed that the ball may have brushed his fingertips but there was no visible deflection so I don’t see how that was conclusive enough to overturn an off field ruling.

Vee

First Grade
Is there a thread for this anywhere? If not, there probably should be one place to debate his news conferences.

I'm normally a strong defender of referees generally, but the last few weeks have tested my patience beyond endurance, looking forward to seeing what he had to say today.

yobbo84

First Grade
He said that Moses Suli didn't knock on for Manly's first try so that's all you really need to know about the quality of the content.

The Bye

Juniors
I have given up on watching it. What’s the actual point of this dullard reviewing the plethora of geniused decisions made by the officials? Nothing gets done to rectify the continuous howlers and we just accept what ever dribble comes out of his mouth, and suit up same time same place the following week.

You want accountability? How about we start interviewing officials immediately after the match so the NRL doesn’t have time to come up with an automated response. I want to see Ashley Klein’s bald little potato head tremble with fear as he fronts the media after yet another appalling standard of refereeing. Drag whichever genius bunker official f**ks up out of his wank booth and get him to front up to the media immediately after the match where a howler has been made. If we can’t improve the standard of officiating lets at the very least bully and publicly lambast these incompetent merkins to make us feel better about them ruining our game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have given up on watching it. What’s the actual point of this dullard reviewing the plethora of geniused decisions made by the officials? Nothing gets done to rectify the continuous howlers and we just accept what ever dribble comes out of his mouth, and suit up same time same place the following week.

You want accountability? How about we start interviewing officials immediately after the match so the NRL doesn’t have time to come up with an automated response. I want to see Ashley Klein’s bald little potato head tremble with fear as he fronts the media after yet another appalling standard of refereeing. Drag whichever genius bunker official f**ks up out of his wank booth and get him to front up to the media immediately after the match where a howler has been made. If we can’t improve the standard of officiating lets at the very least bully and publicly lambast these incompetent merkins to make us feel better about them ruining our game.

Only if the same treatment is given out to players and coaches straight after the game. Refs make mistakes, players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes. Such is life.

Latest posts