What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singing at Games

Loudstrat

Coach
used to plenty of chanting and singing in the old days ... when the stands were full of men doing manly things
You would sing when you raped Norths juniors?

I'd say the alot having this attitude has something to do with it. Being an ex a-league supporter (until NQ got the ass) during summer it is great fun singing and chanting the whole time and makes for a great atmosphere. No matter how hard it is tried it is something that will never pick up in any other australian sport and also in our international games (including soccer as for everyone that is keen to get songs happening there are 10 AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI people that will drown them out and not want a bar of it). Spending 4 days at the sydney ashes was painful because of this, can definately do much better then Aussiex3 Oix3 as our only response to anything.

Back to the point, wasn't having a dig at you loudstrat, just using you as an example of the mindset that will stop it from happening, not that its a bad one as you still putting in the hard yards and making it to games. Ive sat at parramatta staduim with my brother for a cowboys game and had a few songs lined up that we sang for most of the game but found that you break song for every line break, big hit, held up, defensive set on the line as i tend to shut up and watch nervously, sideline conversion etc etc. Plenty more happening on the field when compared to an EPL sort of atmosphere but would still be great to see as if you watch some big derby games over there with 60+k crowds doing it it sounds great and being in the middle of it would be an awesome experience.

Pipedream but aslong as the games remain exciting to watch then everything else is a distant second

I hear ya Rhino. I'm the same - quiet because Im concentrating on the game. There are four exceptions:

1. Cheering.
2. When we get 16 points up and I'm giving it to whoever I'm with who is supporting the opposition,
3. Bagging the ref,
4. Moaning depressively when the team is playing like sh*t - whifh sadly can become habit forming......

But singing? Pffft - join a choir.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
At Canberra one time I sat behind the sharks supporters and they sang the whole game through. Looked like they had a great time and I can see why many people enjoy the atmosphere.

I prefer to concentrate on the game and leave my crooning to the shower.

Mr Fourex

Bench
You would sing when you raped Norths juniors?

I hear ya Rhino. I'm the same - quiet because Im concentrating on the game. There are four exceptions:

1. Cheering.
2. When we get 16 points up and I'm giving it to whoever I'm with who is supporting the opposition,
3. Bagging the ref,
4. Moaning depressively when the team is playing like sh*t - whifh sadly can become habit forming......

But singing? Pffft - join a choir.

yes.gif

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
We all know Rugby League games in the UK as famous for a great atmosphere and passionate song from bith home and away supporters, but why hasn't this been taken on by supporters at NRL games?

Can't Aussie's sing or are they too shy?

What's the reason?

Sadly singing in this country is seen as unmanly or a feminine thing to do.Even at school you notice kids mumbling their way through hymns in chapel. This mentality is pretty institutionalised.

Add that the the fact that most fans in Australia are seated not standing. Singing is miles easier when you are standing. Especially in the SE Queensland stadia the seat seat culture makes it nigh on impossible for active supporters to congregate together and support their team. Even today the Broncos have a flag group who wave flags and cheer at games in Sydney whilst having nothing in Brisbane.

We used to have a group of singers up the back of the Eastern Stand & Olympic Park. Not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but they used to sing stuff like "Shall we score your tries for you?" etc etc The cowbell users used to hang around with the same crew, so the Eastern Stand was definitely the place to make noise at Storm home games.

Since the stadium move, this group has totally been split apart. Some apparently don't go any more, others are split around the stadium. Hence a few of us realised we had to start from scratch last year. The "Thunder Squad" was formed but it was merely a membership category rather than a supporters group.

So this year we decided to go up into the GA seats. Things are developing ok. We have a solid 15-20 people who rock up each week & sit with us & have 4 flags so far. Most of us are A-League fans already so we are used to singing songs (even if others aren't just yet). We just need more numbers & loud voices.

JF

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Sadly singing in this country is seen as unmanly or a feminine thing to do.Even at school you notice kids mumbling their way through hymns in chapel. This mentality is pretty institutionalised.

Add that the the fact that most fans in Australia are seated not standing. Singing is miles easier when you are standing. Especially in the SE Queensland stadia the seat seat culture makes it nigh on impossible for active supporters to congregate together and support their team. Even today the Broncos have a flag group who wave flags and cheer at games in Sydney whilst having nothing in Brisbane.

We used to have a group of singers up the back of the Eastern Stand & Olympic Park. Not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but they used to sing stuff like "Shall we score your tries for you?" etc etc The cowbell users used to hang around with the same crew, so the Eastern Stand was definitely the place to make noise at Storm home games.

Since the stadium move, this group has totally been split apart. Some apparently don't go any more, others are split around the stadium. Hence a few of us realised we had to start from scratch last year. The "Thunder Squad" was formed but it was merely a membership category rather than a supporters group.

So this year we decided to go up into the GA seats. Things are developing ok. We have a solid 15-20 people who rock up each week & sit with us & have 4 flags so far. Most of us are A-League fans already so we are used to singing songs (even if others aren't just yet). We just need more numbers & loud voices.

JF

Are you the blokes with the cow bell then?

Angry_eel

First Grade
Australia has far too many females in the crowd for that sort of thing to take off at the level it is in Europe or Sth America.

In Australia it will only get as big as a group of 40 guys singing together. I had heard the Dragons fans were pretty loud but both at Parra and Kogarah, I could hardly hear them if you weren't standing 20m away them.

Having said that, most clubs see the benefit of this and atleast Parra has alloted a bay to the B&G army. All that we need now is fans who will cheer through wins and losses and turn up each week.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Poms do it cause they're all soccer hooligans and soccer is boring as bat sh*t so they have to do something to amuse themselves. You'll notice the singing stops when something even mildly interesting transpires.

Dragons fans do it cause Dogs fans do it. Dogs fans do it to p*ss off their opposing fans. Sharks fans are just drunk.

I would be, too.

beave

Coach
I was in the F troop in the Furys last season in the A league. Absolutely loved it, but I am not that big a soccer fan so I loved acting the goat and not really paying attention to the onfield action 100% of the time. Some of the wit and banter coming out of the 150 odd people was gold. But when I'm watching the Cowboys, I'm 100% in the game and concentrating on everything that's going on, if I was to sing and carry on like I was at the Fury games, I would have to come home and watch the game again so I could see what actually happened. I'm sure the fans in the EPL have just as much love for their respective teams as I do for my cowboys, but because there's very few scoring plays in a game of soccer, you can miss a lot more of the game and not really 'miss anything' if you get my drift.

Agree with Strat on Maiden playing at half time................... someone in the NRL needs to make it happen.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
I was in the F troop in the Furys last season in the A league. Absolutely loved it, but I am not that big a soccer fan so I loved acting the goat and not really paying attention to the onfield action 100% of the time. Some of the wit and banter coming out of the 150 odd people was gold. But when I'm watching the Cowboys, I'm 100% in the game and concentrating on everything that's going on, if I was to sing and carry on like I was at the Fury games, I would have to come home and watch the game again so I could see what actually happened. I'm sure the fans in the EPL have just as much love for their respective teams as I do for my cowboys, but because there's very few scoring plays in a game of soccer, you can miss a lot more of the game and not really 'miss anything' if you get my drift.

Agree with Strat on Maiden playing at half time................... someone in the NRL needs to make it happen.

Those clowns are the worst. I went to a few games. They weren't allowed vuvuzelas, so what did they do?

They made the horn sound with their voices for ninety minutes! Not kidding or exaggerating. Go ahead. Make a vuvzela sound with your voice. Now imagine a hundred or more guys doing it for an hour and a half while you try and watch a sporting event. A boring, poorly played one.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
it wasn't a vuvuzela noise we were making, it was the latin word 'Furor' for fury.......... 'Furoooooooor' if you may. It had nothing to do with the banning of vuvuzelas at all.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
I can certainly think of better things to do at the football than sing. If others want to do it fine. But I get too engrossed in the game.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
f**ken Oath man, Greek fans are nuts but i give the nod for best fans to Besiktas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z2JQMDuaNw

Notable mentions to Urawa Red Diamonds (not for the hatred but for the total noise and coolly orchestrated crowd actions) and Belgrade Red Star

The great escape is there trademark i beleive. Tbh honest i find the atmosphere at most football games more interesting than 50% of what goes on on the field.

Easily the best atmosphere i have been part of was N.I. V Poland 2 years ago. Running battles across the city pre-game meant it was a pressure cooker of an atmosphere. Closely followed by the 2007 SL grand final at old trafford in the leeds end. 80 mins of drink fuelled mayhem that was.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb-yvPGUdL4&feature=player_embedded

I'm very impressed with these guys at Penrith. Panthers supporters are they paid by the club or are they some supporters who brought some trumpets to games?

Watching the Penrith/Melb game was great listening to them in the background.

I sit with that group. The band doesn't get paid, most of them are ticketed members. The band doesn't attend every game due to other commitments, but the trumpeter is pretty much at every game.

Loudstrat

Coach
it wasn't a vuvuzela noise we were making, it was the latin word 'Furor' for fury.......... 'Furoooooooor' if you may. It had nothing to do with the banning of vuvuzelas at all.
And here is the difference.

SOCCER: Inspires one to sing and recite Latin

RUGBY LEAGUE: Inspires one to consume cold pies and beer, and to tell the Latin reciters to shut the f*ck up.

BTW good to see ya Suity :)

Last edited:

Latest posts