What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singing at Games

seaeagle sam

I've been lucky enough to watch a couple games at Goodison Park including an Everton v Liverpool game. The singing is just as competitive as the game itself and can go from pure hatred of fans toward each other to songs of mockery of the other team and its supporters.
To hear Scousers sing You'll Never Walk Alone after smacking the Toffees is unforgettable.

But when I go to the footy here, if people near me want to start singing I'd want to tell them to shut the f**k up, I'm concentrating on the game.

Loudstrat

Coach
hahahaha!!! You never fail to amuse me Strat. ;-)
Cheers Beave. Just wondering what the latin for Cowboys is? Bovinus juvenilus? Imagine screaming that!

Would definitely bring a new element to Rugby League.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
it wasn't a vuvuzela noise we were making, it was the latin word 'Furor' for fury.......... 'Furoooooooor' if you may. It had nothing to do with the banning of vuvuzelas at all.

Like their motives or the actual words they were droning matter. Those idiots ruined it for a lot of people, and not just with their vuvu-voices.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I sit with that group. The band doesn't get paid, most of them are ticketed members. The band doesn't attend every game due to other commitments, but the trumpeter is pretty much at every game.

Well it's definitely something I'd like to see more of at games. Like others, I too get very engrossed in the game but for many, music like that would be fabulous. Much better than the staged nonsense some clubs carry on with, and idiotic and annoying MCs.

Good work Penrith fans.

Didgi

Like their motives or the actual words they were droning matter. Those idiots ruined it for a lot of people, and not just with their vuvu-voices.

f**k up genius, I dont think anyone actually gives a shit what you think, but get a grip. We can support our team however we want, deal with it. If your gameday experience is ruined by a small bunch of passionate supporters singing songs for their team, have a cry at home.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
f**k up genius, I dont think anyone actually gives a shit what you think, but get a grip. We can support our team however we want, deal with it. If your gameday experience is ruined by a small bunch of passionate supporters singing songs for their team, have a cry at home.

Yeah, and wtf happened, champ? No one else wanted to go and now your team is deaded. Have a cry about that ;-)

Didgi

Yep, the FFA weren't prepared to stick with them, so they folded. If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that because of lack of support from the governing bodies the Fury were forced to ask for community support to gain money, and the people of NQ always pitched in for them. Really, if you think crowds were the problem while Gold Coast survive you've got no idea.

flamin

Juniors
Yes definitely agree with the sentiments here about more singing and better atmosphere at games.

It is a very cultural thing, however, and Australians are really very reserved. In many other cultures around the world such as the Pacific Islands, South American counties, Africa, and throughout Europe, people aren't afraid to sing or dance. I know from my own travels at parties and campfires and the like, everyone gets involved in singing or playing guitar or whatever. And everyone does sing, or play an instrument - the vast majority aren't incredibly good, but still everyone does it. Whereas over here unless a person is actually good at it, there's always a big show to try and motivate people to perform and get involved. Everyone's worried about they're own insecurities.

It's a shame really because it's waaaaaaaay more fun; and something that easily translates to sport as it has done overseas, due to its tribal nature and being able to express identification with the spirit of your football club.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Yep, the FFA weren't prepared to stick with them, so they folded. If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that because of lack of support from the governing bodies the Fury were forced to ask for community support to gain money, and the people of NQ always pitched in for them. Really, if you think crowds were the problem while Gold Coast survive you've got no idea.

Yeah, mate. Keep telling yourself that FFA should have kept throwing money down a toilet. The Fury did not have a billionaire benefactor like GC. So they needed community support in the form of gate receipts. Even if they weren't profitable, if FFA could have seen that they had a strong, committed fan base to see them through some lean years, they would have bailed them out.

Why do so many Fury supporters feel like the governing body didn't want them? Having a club fold less than three years after inception makes them all look like morons, and costs them huge amounts of money from advertisers, sponsors and broadcast rights. The fact is that if 15,000 passionate supporters turned up every week, they would still exist.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
It's a different culture here. Not sure that it's better either. I've seen a few football games in the UK, including Arsenal v Tottenham in 2003 and the 2005 Arsenal v Man Utd FA Cup Final and I've gotta say the atmosphere has got it all over league. Admittedly they were big games and fierce rivals, but the atmosphere at those games has got it all over an Origin game at Lang Park. Let alone anywhere else. There are few times I've walked out of a stadium with a sense of both fear and elation, and each time they have been at football games.

macavity

Referee
The Crusade has a 40 piece brass band at games for 2011. Atmosphere in our area is always pretty good and the band are awesome. The rest of the stadium more often than not is dead.

Because we are watching the footy you gronk. Here in Australia we have teams capable of winning. We don't have to sing to try and cheer ourselves up!!!!!!!

You wanna sing? Stay home and watch Glee. You want me to sing? Get Iron Maiden to play at halftime.
So it is true you really do have a reputation as a 2-bit f*ckwit, you've proven yourself now lad.....and I thought Australian's were of European origin..oops my bad....:lol:

docbrown

Coach
The Crusade has a 40 piece brass band at games for 2011. Atmosphere in our area is always pretty good and the band are awesome. The rest of the stadium more often than not is dead.

The band's great. Got to try and get the crowd into it more. I think perhaps practicing a chant/song pregame with lyrics on the big screen could get them so they get in on it later.

Perth Red

Post Whore
apparently we'd rather hear refs screaming "tackled" "get off" "held" etcetc. Here's an idea, turn the ref mic off and turn the mic guy around to point it at the grandstands! On TV atmosphere generally sounds dead, at a game I was surprised by how loud it can actually get here, though singing is not in the Aussie psych it would seem.

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
Are you the blokes with the cow bell then?

Yeah, one guy alone has 3 cowbells he hands out to friends. :crazy: Security tried to ban them last year, so they have become a bit of a rallying point with Storm fans. Everyone started bringing them.

Against the Knights not only were there Cowbells with our group, but down the front, and in the main stand. Storm ran often has one as well and gets people going around the ground with it. :lol:

JF

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have to say that Melbourne fans seem the loudest generally. Maybe the European influence is greater in that city? Looking forward to sampling it live in a few weeks.