What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singing at Games

We all know Rugby League games in the UK as famous for a great atmosphere and passionate song from bith home and away supporters, but why hasn't this been taken on by supporters at NRL games?

Can't Aussie's sing or are they too shy?

What's the reason?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Personally i think its a european culture thing, it doesn't seem to happen anywhere else except for the generic go....team....go, or chants like that happens in most places. I wish it would catch on here though as it in my experience at Northern Ireland games it defo lifts the team and makes for a great spectacle.

boxhead

First Grade
Not really an Aussie thing, at least in comparison to how prelevant it is in Europe.

Pigskin

Juniors
used to plenty of chanting and singing in the old days ... when the stands were full of men doing manly things ... groups of men going to the footy for the day, some beers and a chance to do blokey things

nowadays, lets cater the whole day to the family ... :?

its a world gone mad

Oink !

Bwuce

Juniors
There's only one rugby league song worth singing:

Here's to Wally Lewis
For lacing on a boot
Some times he plays it rugged
Some times he plays it cute

When he's carving through the backline
Like a Straddie Island shark
There's glue on all his fingers
He's the Emperor of Lang Park

And when the Blues come up here
To try and make a show
They'll go back scratching their heads
Saying which way did he go?

The next time he goes over there
to educate the Poms
Perhaps he'll teach a few to sing:
[Pommy Accent] I can feel a fourex coming on.

***MH***

Bench
It takes a lot of liquid courage these days for men to sing. But when beer is $6 a pop....

Loudstrat

Coach
We all know Rugby League games in the UK as famous for a great atmosphere and passionate song from bith home and away supporters, but why hasn't this been taken on by supporters at NRL games?

What's the reason?

Because we are watching the footy you gronk. Here in Australia we have teams capable of winning. We don't have to sing to try and cheer ourselves up!!!!!!!

You wanna sing? Stay home and watch Glee. You want me to sing? Get Iron Maiden to play at halftime.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Because we are watching the footy you gronk. Here in Australia we have teams capable of winning. We don't have to sing to try and cheer ourselves up!!!!!!!

You wanna sing? Stay home and watch Glee. You want me to sing? Get Iron Maiden to play at halftime.

I'd say the alot having this attitude has something to do with it. Being an ex a-league supporter (until NQ got the ass) during summer it is great fun singing and chanting the whole time and makes for a great atmosphere. No matter how hard it is tried it is something that will never pick up in any other australian sport and also in our international games (including soccer as for everyone that is keen to get songs happening there are 10 AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI people that will drown them out and not want a bar of it). Spending 4 days at the sydney ashes was painful because of this, can definately do much better then Aussiex3 Oix3 as our only response to anything.

Back to the point, wasn't having a dig at you loudstrat, just using you as an example of the mindset that will stop it from happening, not that its a bad one as you still putting in the hard yards and making it to games. Ive sat at parramatta staduim with my brother for a cowboys game and had a few songs lined up that we sang for most of the game but found that you break song for every line break, big hit, held up, defensive set on the line as i tend to shut up and watch nervously, sideline conversion etc etc. Plenty more happening on the field when compared to an EPL sort of atmosphere but would still be great to see as if you watch some big derby games over there with 60+k crowds doing it it sounds great and being in the middle of it would be an awesome experience.

Pipedream but aslong as the games remain exciting to watch then everything else is a distant second

docbrown

Coach

What's the reason?

I brought this up on the Knights Board as well.

After the game against the Dragons their supporters were gloating singing their heads off with glee whilst all the Knights fans were just shuffling out with nothing to counter it and just having to cop it.

Getting the crowd involved in the game with chants/singing can even lift the team's performance on the field and at the end of the day the fans feel more involved and more satisfied with their experience regardless of the scoreline.

I brought this up on the Knights Board as well.

After the game against the Dragons their supporters were gloating singing their heads off with glee whilst all the Knights fans were just shuffling out with nothing to counter it and just having to cop it.

Getting the crowd involved in the game with chants/singing can even lift the team's performance on the field and at the end of the day the fans feel more involved and more satisfied with their experience regardless of the scoreline.

Sounds like they were just embarrassed for ya son!