What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

sup42

Juniors
I was actually musing today about long kicking. Biomechanically there should probably be more forwards or centres with big boots on them- given that the amount of force imparted on the ball is a function of leg speed and weight, and someone with a long, heavy leg is going to be able to kick further if they have sufficient leg speed. But as you touch upon a specific skill like kicking requires a LOT of practice and largely it’s going to be halves that do that, especially in league where outside backs don’t tend to kick.

Yeah look at Cameron Smith.
It shows how far behind other sports the Rugby codes are in terms of building multi skilled players. League has obviously lagged behind union in this skill set. Which is why NZ Union goal kickers became a thing in the era of Halligan, Ridge, and Botica.

Before they came along, having a high percentage goal kicker was seen as a nice to have, not essential, those two Allblacks changed the NRL to what we see today, where kickers are essential.
I still remember the oldschool Aussie commentators being suspicious of Halligans worth since he was hardly a dynamic winger.

Of course they changed their minds and were in awe when he started smashing Winfield cup records.

There is no reason one guy in a set position should be the only player that can kick the ball.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Another guy I think of was Pat Richards, he was a big, tall winger and he had an absolute monster drop kick on him, he’d consistently hit it 60m on the fly which was a real asset for the Tigers at the time.

sup42

Juniors
Another guy I think of was Pat Richards, he was a big, tall winger and he had an absolute monster drop kick on him, he’d consistently hit it 60m on the fly which was a real asset for the Tigers at the time.
Good one. He had that nasty spiraling bomb too. Bit of a Wigan legend, still well regarded up there after 200+ games for the Cherry and Whites.

Latest posts