What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

I mean to be fair, it was a pretty iconic moment - I remember exactly where I was. You can't say that about many things. I remember that, the 2008 Witt try, the 2011 Inu try, the Logan Swann F up in 2007, where I was when I heard Sonny Fai died, and so on.

Joey said something outrageous (as he does with young players, although I think he's tempered it since) about SJ as a teenager, hadn't played FG yet. Then Freddie Fittler had a go at Shaun - might've been 2013 or so - and he took it awfully. Really always has.
Every time i see Swann on Social Media or at the games i always mutter to myself
"If only that kient had passed to the winger" lol

Blair

Coach
Every time i see Swann on Social Media or at the games i always mutter to myself
Talking about 'iconic moments and remembering exactly where you were' I was at the Dee Why RSL with my brother. I travelled there to and from Katoomba, on public transport.

I was so bloody pumped, but a bit negative all the same, as we'd lost Vatuvei and an in-form Ropati the week before at Penrith (our win gave them the spoon, whilst guaranteeing our home semi).

Last edited:
@Bobby DIGital it’s good to talk and crazy we are both still here after all these years (decades!) my bro

True that bro! We are 2 of the last 03 OGs left. Those that came across from MattO's rleague forum. I remember the days of the MSN chats on Sunday nights breaking down each round, and shit talking each other's teams with Nibbs, Half, Godz Illa, Weasel, PJ, ceagle and various others. Do you still keep in touch with Kurt?

Always good to talk to you, and when I see your posts, I do take more interest in those threads.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
True that bro! We are 2 of the last 03 OGs left. Those that came across from MattO's rleague forum. I remember the days of the MSN chats on Sunday nights breaking down each round, and shit talking each other's teams with Nibbs, Half, Godz Illa, Weasel, PJ, ceagle and various others. Do you still keep in touch with Kurt?

Always good to talk to you, and when I see your posts, I do take more interest in those threads.

I was best man at Kurt’s wedding, we still see each other all the time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I came over from there too. RLeague, then Legends World of Sport, then that became LU. Would've been late 99 or early 2000 when I signed up to RLeague, so coming up to 25 years now.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
f**king outrageous. I was in the South Stand, on that wing, looking right down on it. Oh shit, we're going to score!! WHAT THE f**k LOGAN SWANN. I remember it so vividly. No one's got over that.

I’ve been part of the LU community since 2007, and I was actively involved in the Rleague forums from 2002 to 2005. I used to visit the History Machine website to revisit the old RL forum, though it’s not as functional as it used to be. I’m pretty sure I’ve been chatting with some of you for over 20 years, under various handles (showing my age with that term, lol)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Talking about 'iconic moments and remembering exactly where you were' I was at the Dee Why RSL with my brother. I travelled there to and from Katoomba, on public transport.

I was so bloody pumped, but a bit negative all the same, as we'd lost Vatuvei and an in-form Ropati the week before at Penrith (our win gave them the spoon, whilst guaranteeing our home semi).
I was in Katoomba that day !! Can’t quite remember where we stopped on the way home to watch it, maybe somewhere around the Penrith area. I wasn’t quite as upset with Swann, as it gave me the opportunity to attend Dogs v Parra the next week who I had about 50,000 there and was a good experience

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I was at that 2007 Eels game, sitting on the grass to the right of the posts (so in line with the left edge of the attacking team running towards the hill)....can anyone confirm that Swann's f**k up happened right in front of me?

Funny thing is, I don't have particularly strong memories of it. I wonder if ironically it might've stuck with me more if I was watching on TV (complete with outraged commentary etc). My main memory of that game is it was pretty underwhelming and I went there with a bad feeling about it because Vatuvei and Ropati were out and without them we really lacked attacking threat.

If you look at that 2007 team it really wasn't a great looking team on paper. I sort of wish I'd enjoyed the Cleary era more while it was happening, cos for a lot of it I just whinged about our boring style of footy and team full of Aussie battlers.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Funnily enough I remember exactly where I was for that 2007 game but I’ve still never watched it it to this day. I was camping on K’gari (Fraser Island) and had no TV or phone reception, and heard about the result before I got a chance to see it, so I never put myself through the frustration of watching it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
At the end of the day Swann got the worst of it cause now that’s the first thing everyone remembers about his career. Say whatever else you want about SJ but it’ll be the clutch plays to win games or outrageous moments like this that he’ll be remembered for well after everything else is forgotten.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I just found highlights of that Eels game on YouTube and Gould was absolutely apoplectic about Witt’s penalty try while Voss did his usual fake-confused act. Hilarious because it was a deadset penalty try if ever you’ve seen one.

Blair

Coach
What was the score when Swann had his brain snap? I recall us battling away and leading 4'-0, but Witt missed a conversion he should've got. It was always a tense, low percentage game. I didn't enjoy it.

Beave our trains would've crossed paths. Did you enjoy Kat?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
What was the score when Swann had his brain snap? I recall us battling away and leading 4'-0, but Witt missed a conversion he should've got. It was always a tense, low percentage game. I didn't enjoy it.

Beave our trains would've crossed paths. Did you enjoy Kat?

It was 4-0 and there were about 25 minutes left. Eels then got out to a 12-4 lead, and we brought it back to 12-10 with the penalty try with about 3 minutes to go. Was a bit of a bludger of a game, all 4 tries were from kicks. One surprising thing is Ah Van was all over Inu in the air, he got over Inu to bat the ball back for Todd Byrne twice, Byrne stuffed it up once and scored once.

Blair

Coach
It was 4-0 and there were about 25 minutes left. Eels then got out to a 12-4 lead, and we brought it back to 12-10 with the penalty try with about 3 minutes to go. Was a bit of a bludger of a game, all 4 tries were from kicks. One surprising thing is Ah Van was all over Inu in the air, he got over Inu to bat the ball back for Todd Byrne twice, Byrne stuffed it up once and scored once.
So the Swann moment was a significant one, 8 or 10-0, with 23 minutes left. We'd have needed - and might've got, with the momentum our way - another relatively quick try to feel safe.

I hate finals and have never enjoyed one, and even vomited before the '02 GF.