What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky (again)

Micistm

Bench
If SKY did not get the deal, then that would be the greatest wake up call for those mongrels. They will want the rights for about 18 and 6...

Yeah but they will pass the savings onto their customers and not take advantage of their monopoly, being fair to league fans who can't afford it and play games on prime before 10-11pm...

Tui Billboard!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Juju

Juniors
"Our subscribers want us to go out and get all content, I get that, but they also want us to get it at a reasonable price."

What a complete bs quote. Sky make massive massive yearly profits but its the subscribers that want the NRL rights at a fair price???

I can't wait until the NRL have something similar to the NBA's league pass - as my subscription will be gorrrrrneeeee.

Diesel

Referee
Is Vossy confirmed? He did a lot of good work when calling the Sunday arvo live Q Cup games. He does his homework and knows his league. Nine are dickheads for dropping him by replacing Vossy with Ray Hadley

Warmess

Juniors
Can't wait for NRL streaming. Will jump ship from Sky when that's offered.

Sky are a bunch of money hungry morons, but at least they're slowly learning their commentators are shithouse and trying to get in someone good. Still can't believe that 9 got rid of Vossy in favour of Hadley.

jamaman

Juniors
Is Vossy confirmed? He did a lot of good work when calling the Sunday arvo live Q Cup games. He does his homework and knows his league. Nine are dickheads for dropping him by replacing Vossy with Ray Hadley

Hadley be better to call horses!:oops:

ozenzud

Juniors
I've emailed Sky asking to be personally advised when the deal is done. Cause if its not I will immediately cancel my subscription.

I also said I want Superleague back.

They said they'd get back to me.

Rich102

Staff member
I've emailed Sky asking to be personally advised when the deal is done. Cause if its not I will immediately cancel my subscription.

I also said I want Superleague back.

They said they'd get back to me.

:sleeper:

ozenzud

Juniors
Actually they did. Said "we would make an announcement confirming the rights as soon as possible. OR OTHERWISE."

I thought it was all brinkmanship tbh.

Micistm

Bench
Apparently (source: Telfer on Radio Sport) this has happened a few times in the past, it can be round 3 or 4 into the season before a deal is signed, but Sky is allowed to start broadcasting the season even without a contract signed due to good will in negotiations. Or something like that.

spear tackle

Juniors
Apparently (source: Telfer on Radio Sport) this has happened a few times in the past, it can be round 3 or 4 into the season before a deal is signed, but Sky is allowed to start broadcasting the season even without a contract signed due to good will in negotiations. Or something like that.

Yeah i seem to remember in years gone by this has happened before, everytime it comes up for renewal.

shiznit

Coach

this season might be a bit different... because i looked at the electronic guide for next week and there's no NRL games at all...

Scott

Bench
this season might be a bit different... because i looked at the electronic guide for next week and there's no NRL games at all...

yeah i noticed that this morning when i went for a scroll.
I'm certain we'll get the games live from this thursday. Can't wait.

Skinner

Coach
Latest from SKY's facebook page :

Hi everyone, SKY doesn’t have an update regarding the NRL rights as yet but when we do SKY Sport NZ will share the news. We know you are passionate about Rugby League and so are we here at SKY. It’s not uncommon for sports right deals to be completed close to kick off, or event after kick off. We’ll be in touch again asap!

flippikat

Bench
Latest from SKY's facebook page :

Hi everyone, SKY doesn?t have an update regarding the NRL rights as yet but when we do SKY Sport NZ will share the news. We know you are passionate about Rugby League and so are we here at SKY. It?s not uncommon for sports right deals to be completed close to kick off, or event after kick off. We?ll be in touch again asap!

If the negotiations are still ongoing, it'd be a major PR disaster for the NRL if they don't let Sky (or at least SOMEONE) screen the games as a gesture of goodwill.

Sure the NRL is not obliged to let anyone screen the games while there's no contract, but it would be a dumb idea have an NZ-wide TV blackout.

Sky are kinda hamstrung here.. they can't promote the NRL because they haven't secured the rights, and there's still a slight chance that they may screen the first round or two out of goodwill, but still miss out on some (or all) of the rights if the NRL put value a free-to-air component.

Latest posts