What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater

hellteam

First Grade
nsw must be a pretty sh*t place to live if inglis only lived in qld for a few years and chose to play for qld

perverse

Referee
nsw must be a pretty sh*t place to live if inglis only lived in qld for a few years and chose to play for qld
wouldn't have anything to do with wanting to play with his QLD buddies down in melbourne now would it? nooooo, couldn't be!

cb4

First Grade
how did that ruling work, he was at hunter sports high with me n now he plays for qld??

Ice777

Bench
Slater is a great fullback, but Hunt will be the QLD fullback...quote me

You're hardly going out on a limb there. I think even the most staunch Slater fans who want him at fullback still know that Hunt will get the job. While Slater is obviously playing better football which i don't think anyone can deny, Hunt's the incumbent which seems to hold more weight in rugby league than what it does in any other sport for whatever reason only the selectors know.

That's no slur on Hunt, unlike some others here i actually rate him as a player and think he's done a good job at rep level. But if the side was picked on form and not incumbency then i think it's fair to say that Slater would be the first one picked.

lotti

Bench
it's mate against mate, that's one of the basic princepals behind SOO and the state you play for is based on where you played your first senior football not the state you were born in.

hellteam

First Grade
it's mate against mate, that's one of the basic princepals behind SOO and the state you play for is based on where you played your first senior football not the state you were born in.

thanks for clearing that up:sarcasm:

Bman26

Juniors
You're hardly going out on a limb there. I think even the most staunch Slater fans who want him at fullback still know that Hunt will get the job. While Slater is obviously playing better football which i don't think anyone can deny, Hunt's the incumbent which seems to hold more weight in rugby league than what it does in any other sport for whatever reason only the selectors know.

That's no slur on Hunt, unlike some others here i actually rate him as a player and think he's done a good job at rep level. But if the side was picked on form and not incumbency then i think it's fair to say that Slater would be the first one picked.

lock the thread, this guy wins.

icewind

Juniors
I find it really amusing that Hunt is treated like some god among men in Origin(when he's done nothing memorable at all) and Thurston is going to hand over his jumper to Scotty Prince despite being absolutely instrumental in the victories.

Broncos fans try and justify why Hunt deserves the spot,I'm yet to be convinced.
The supposed characteristics of Hunt's quality are what every first grade fullback should have(And at least three in the comp do have and actually attack as well,including Billy Slater who hopefully will be the Queensland fullback).

I'm torn between Hunt and Slater. I just get that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling with Hunt at the back, knowing any ball that goes in the air, won't get my heart rate racing at 120 beats per minute.

And if we have a back three of 1.Hunt 2.Inglis 5.Folau, i'd be pretty darn confident of NSW not scoring off bombs the entire series.

compare that to the heart in mouth excitement of Billy Slater. I know he's been darn good for the storm, but if Anasta puts up one of his trademark sky high bombs, well i know who i'd rather at back.

And then you see the tries like the 04 slater try and you can see why i'm torn.

Shorty

Staff member
I don't think Slater's f**ked up under the high ball for quite some time now.
Last year,game 3 in particular was neck a neck and we won off a brain explosion from Bull Bailey.

It's going to be tight this year and go down to the wire possibly,like you feel safe with Hunt under the high ball I would much rather Slater being able to pull something out of nothing to snatch us a win.

Mr Saab

Referee
I don't think Slater's f**ked up under the high ball for quite some time now.
Last year,game 3 in particular was neck a neck and we won off a brain explosion from Bull Bailey.

It's going to be tight this year and go down to the wire possibly,like you feel safe with Hunt under the high ball I would much rather Slater being able to pull something out of nothing to snatch us a win.

Really? QLD lost that game remember.
Standard rivarly between Cowboys and Broncos fans. Hunt has proved you clowns wrong time and f**king time again.
Selectors know who to pick, thats alll that matters

Shorty

Staff member
Really? QLD lost that game remember.
Standard rivarly between Cowboys and Broncos fans. Hunt has proved you clowns wrong time and f**king time again.
Selectors know who to pick, thats alll that matters
Game 2,my mistake.

No it's not,and it's clear that it's actually the general consensus that Slater should get the gig.
I've watched him play for the Storm a few times and Slater has been as safe as houses.
There's really no reason why he shouldn't get it,just the whole incumbency thing:roll:

And that's fine but once someone else is asked to step in,Hunt won't get it again.

hellteam

First Grade
what the general concensus of about 20 people on a league website forum. sh*t we should call up mal meninga and tell him

Shorty

Staff member
No the general consensus as in everyone but stubborn Broncos fans,lol.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
LOL, players like Ricketson you mean? Because his career playing for Ireland was long and prosperous wasn't it? :lol:
Picking and choosing eh?

Hutty1986 said:
Slightly different than having your gun centre from NSW and your probable long term fullback from NZ
What about having your winger and sharpshooter goalkicker from Lebanon? Or your 2nd rower from Auckland? Face it, the blues have just as many non Aussies and non NSWelshman. I mean you do know that Peter Sterling was born in Toowoomba don't you? Kind of cuts your "gun maroons centre from NSW" argument in half when I present you with a 4 times MoM winning blues halfback that was born in QLD doesn't it?

Hutty1986 said:
The selections you speak of were one-offs, not comparable to the continual breaking of the rules by the dirty toads

Gee I was pretty sure the rules were that your State of Origin was decided by the club you played your first senior footy at.

Does it hurt looking like a fool?

hellteam

First Grade
its got nothing to do with the fact that he plays for the broncos, im a qld fan more then a bronco fan and hunt does the job best.

Latest posts