What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

SnowDragon

Juniors
I see huge improvements in Sloan, and I see the direction SF is pushing him in. I think it’s going to pay off nicely. But hey I’m an optimist.

one thing I do, is I look at other “gun” fullbacks and watch their mistakes. I then realise they would be punished by this forum, hence ignore a lot of the negative comments. That said, the coach needs to see the improvement and the value in developing him v other options

I think Sloan has improved his effort areas like taking bombs and cleaning up loose balls etc.
I'm not here to bag him because he has obviously worked hard on these parts of his game.
I think his defence issues come down to technique, the miss on Stagg was because he tackles with his arms rather than hitting with his shoulder. Did anyone see Jayden Campbell take down RCG when he burst through the Titans defence. Small guy, but all technique, no doubt taught be his dad, who was also small but courageous.

TruSaint

Referee
I see huge improvements in Sloan, and I see the direction SF is pushing him in. I think it’s going to pay off nicely. But hey I’m an optimist.

one thing I do, is I look at other “gun” fullbacks and watch their mistakes. I then realise they would be punished by this forum, hence ignore a lot of the negative comments. That said, the coach needs to see the improvement and the value in developing him v other options

Fair mate.

I am not trying to totally dismiss the kid, for the record. I just want him to work on areas that need a massive improve. If that means a few weeks out of FG then im okay.

Flanno hasn't been shy about Sloane. As you say, he has improved in a few areas. Commitment to the high ball, his kick return and general support play has been improving.

I suppose the questions won't go away until he addresses the defensive issue, but let's see what Flanno does.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Regarding support up the guts, I have noticed sloan supporting on the right shoulder last few games and hasnt been seen. Surely it is not trained, hell debelin got the ball from liddle last game. Sloan should be shouldering him off in support and getting the ball instead.

The kid does my head in not wanting to do the tough stuff. He has only just got it through his head that if he jumps and takes a bomb he wont get hurt.

Did I mention he does my head in.
Not do the tough stuff? Sorry, did you not see him get smashed quite a number of times from defusing bombs (which is something he definitely shied away from previously). Also, his defensive issues don't come from a lack of trying to do the tough stuff, they come more from strength issues and defensive technique. He's also running the ball back better into the line. you've openly admitted you don't like him, the bias is there already. Don't move the goalposts now just to suit your own (and many others) narrative in regards to Sloan.

Lennyb

Juniors
Not do the tough stuff? Sorry, did you not see him get smashed quite a number of times from defusing bombs (which is something he definitely shied away from previously). Also, his defensive issues don't come from a lack of trying to do the tough stuff, they come more from strength issues and defensive technique. He's also running the ball back better into the line. you've openly admitted you don't like him, the bias is there already. Don't move the goalposts now just to suit your own (and many others) narrative in regards to Sloan.
Move the goal posts?

I stated before the start of the season he is a cat and got hammered on here. I still stand by that.

He hasnt been smashed and takes the ball back now like a debut player on his first touch.

I dont hate him, he is not NRL standard thats all.

Calm down dribbler.

possm

Coach

I'd say Sloan is at reserve grade level. He also still costs us in defense and has gone missing in attack of late.

TruSaint

Referee
COMPARING FULLBACK DEFENSIVE STATS SO FAR THIS YEAR
Reece Walsh: 10 games 39 from 50 @ 78%
Dylan Edwards 13 games 65 from 83 @ 78%
Tyrell Sloan 17 games 117 from 141 @ 83%
The question that should be asked is;
Why is our Fullback having to make so many tackles

Sorry mate. Can you clarify what numbers you mention here and from what source.

Not being dismissive, but if you're telling me Sloane has a better defense than Edwards, then Im speechless.

Also context here is important. How does he rate over say 2 full seasons ? How many of the missed tackles by Edwards directly led to tries ? You get the drift.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Move the goal posts?

I stated before the start of the season he is a cat and got hammered on here. I still stand by that.

He hasnt been smashed and takes the ball back now like a debut player on his first touch.

I dont hate him, he is not NRL standard thats all.

Calm down dribbler.
You’re entitled to your opinion, and you can stand by whatever you want. However, the way you’re doubling down on this, despite Sloans improvements in these areas this season just shows that it doesn’t matter what he does, he’ll always be a cat and soft and not doing anything tough.

I’m calm, just calling out double standards in regards to Sloan in particular. To be fair to you, in no way are you the only one (or the worst), however this is just the comment I’m responding to. I’m not saying don’t criticise him or anything like that, just bring up the things that are actually happening currently

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Sorry mate. Can you clarify what numbers you mention here and from what source.

Not being dismissive, but if you're telling me Sloane has a better defense than Edwards, then Im speechless.

Also context here is important. How does he rate over say 2 full seasons ? How many of the missed tackles by Edwards directly led to tries ? You get the drift.
You know full well he’s not saying Sloan has better defence than Edwards. He also literally stated his point, which is why does Sloan have to make so many more tackles than other fullbacks

Lennyb

Juniors
You’re entitled to your opinion, and you can stand by whatever you want. However, the way you’re doubling down on this, despite Sloans improvements in these areas this season just shows that it doesn’t matter what he does, he’ll always be a cat and soft and not doing anything tough.

I’m calm, just calling out double standards in regards to Sloan in particular. To be fair to you, in no way are you the only one (or the worst), however this is just the comment I’m responding to. I’m not saying don’t criticise him or anything like that, just bring up the things that are actually happening currently
If he puts his body on the line and fires up. I will gladly say I am wrong. Gladly.

He has talent. But I reckon he would know more about designer clothes , hats and shoes. Than his opposition number.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Imagine not being able to critique a player that missed 4 tackles that led to 4 tries. in ONE game that we won by 4.

Some of Dufty defenders were honest enough to admit his faults. Sloane is off limits for some. GTFO.
Haha thanks for proving conclusively that you just read what you want to read on here Big Chief.
Also, how hard is it to spell SLOAN properly ffs, it really isn’t that hard

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
If he puts his body on the line and fires up. I will gladly say I am wrong. Gladly.

He has talent. But I reckon he would know more about designer clothes , hats and shoes. Than his opposition number.
Fair enough mate!

Haha I’m going to choose to believe that you didn’t say that 2nd comment the way I’ve interpreted it

st.phil

Bench
COMPARING FULLBACK DEFENSIVE STATS SO FAR THIS YEAR
Reece Walsh: 10 games 39 from 50 @ 78%
Dylan Edwards 13 games 65 from 83 @ 78%
Tyrell Sloan 17 games 117 from 141 @ 83%
The question that should be asked is;
Why is our Fullback having to make so many tackles
Man… why is he making so many tackles? Strange. Anyway, the last 30 mins was poor , he needed to make at least 2 of those 3… was left hanging by his teammates but not an excuse

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

I get it, Tyrell needs to learn how to tackle 1-on-1 effectively, but there's no need to make assumptions. Not sure if you know, but he was raised solely by his grandmother in a housing commission flat in a less than desirable area, with both parents in and out of jail. So I would posit that he doesn't 'know more about designer clothes, hats and shoes'. He's worked very hard to stay on the right track to get here, it's just about toughening him up and working with his build to make him an effective 1-on-1 defender; a trait which even the most experienced fullbacks in the NRL can struggle with.