What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: A pair of losses, but Kearney is coach for long haul, say Eels

SDM

First Grade
I would offer Burt a 2nd tier contract @ Wenty, he goes great against bums

born an eel

Bench
For once PooPoo is right... It's obvious Hindmarsh and Burt will be moved on at the end of this season.

The way Bentley has shirked any responsibility for approaching them confirms as much.
but haven't we been told that retention and recruitment is the responsibility of Kearney and Nolan?

Bentley should only get involved when they need a signature on a contract.

natheel

Coach
People seem to forget how smith put the cleaners through our club by buying the Canterbury 4 giving it a shake up. I see sk as doing this too. May not be getting wins now but there is definate improvement

ParraAds

Juniors
but haven't we been told that retention and recruitment is the responsibility of Kearney and Nolan?

Bentley should only get involved when they need a signature on a contract.

That's true, you wouldn't want Bentley involved in any football matters because he simply doesn't have the knowledge.

But from what he said there it appears that Kearney has indicated to him that those two won't be needed beyond this year.

ParraAds

Juniors
People seem to forget how smith put the cleaners through our club by buying the Canterbury 4 giving it a shake up. I see sk as doing this too. May not be getting wins now but there is definate improvement

I don't think you can compare Smith and Kearney in terms of the situation when they each took over.

We had been rubbish for many years when Smith came and rebuilt the club from the ground up.

Kearney at least inherited the majority of a team of players who had made a grand final just two years before his appointment.

87eelman

Juniors
We should be making the 8 atleast every season and i haven't seen many if any quality performances under Kearney since he took charged. I fear that he is very stubborn and is going to go out on his shield because of that.

Any other club would look elsewhere if their coach didn't get results.

Firstly, if you take notice, the top 8 every year always throws up teams that didn't make it the year before. You'll find that apart from manly, melbourne, and brisbane, there aren't many teams around them that can say they will make the 8 100% year in year out (maybe throw the Dragons in there also). The 3 or (4) teams mentioned are the only ones that have really proven their ongoing success.

So lets get this straight, we should make the 8 every year no excuses, but we want to boot a coach half way through his contract? :crazy:

RE: Quality performances. Mate you are kidding yourself. Go back to last year and look at rounds 1, 11, 13, 15, 18, 19, 21, 23, and 26. SOme of those were gritty wins, some were gritty losses, but nevertheless those performances showed pride in the jumper. More recently, the first 55 minutes in round 1, and in round 2 against the warriors showed that this side has heart and grit, which in my eyes shows plenty of quality and potential.

natheel

Coach
I don't think you can compare Smith and Kearney in terms of the situation when they each took over.

We had been rubbish for many years when Smith came and rebuilt the club from the ground up.

Kearney at least inherited the majority of a team of players who had made a grand final just two years before his appointment.

this is true but that same team missed the 8 the next year under the coach that took us their.

we had 2 halves who were good support for hayne and always had a good forward pack though

also i'm impressed with the retention of the RIGHT juniors at the moment. under other coaches Sio would be either a Dog or Sea Eagle by now

87eelman

Juniors
I support the move, great move for the future of this club.

x2.

For the first time in a long time, i get the impression that the club is looking to build a future, and Bentleys' comments support this.

Too often we throw in the towel and start again because we 'dont make the 8' or fail 'to win every game we play'. Where has this left us? All we have been doing is Stoping and starting and to be honest we have become one of the laughing stocks of the league.

Whilst starkly different situations, building a house requires the same principles as rebuilding a club. You need to be on the same page, you need to have a a vision and/or goals, and you need the resources to be able to acheive your goals. This move ticks all 3 boxes at once.

spiderdan

Bench
personally i don't think his contract should be even looked at until the end of the year but he may well have a plan he has put to the board which has goals and milestones over the next 3-5 years (similar to hasler at the eagles when he started). if that's the case then the board are the ones that will judge his performance by more than just what we see on the field so their stance can't really be critisised.

would like to see more wins than last year based on the squad we have. and i think we should be gunning to scrape into the finals this year.

Fathead

Bench
Excellent work by Bentley ! Back the coach. We have the best recruitment manager in the business in Nolan. Kearney knows what he is doing. I have the upmost faith that we will emerge from this as one of the marquee teams in the comp in the next year or two. Matthew johns is right when he said that the senior players at parra are made of Teflon. Isn't it great to get a coach that is willing to promote for the future ? Kids like Blair and sio be the mainstays in our team for years to come. Sit back and trust Nolan and Kearney.

Springs

First Grade
If Hindmarsh wants to stay next year and Kearney wants to move him on then f**k that. They should listen to Hindmarsh first.

I'd like to know who Johns was referring to with his teflon comment. We don't have that many senior players left at the club now. He surely can't be referring to McGuire and Tonga they only just came here. If he thinks the problem at Parramatta is Hindmarsh, Burt, Moi Moi and Smith then he's an idiot.

Honestly I think Kearney deserves three years at least. But if he misses the eight this year then his contract shouldn't be extended straight away.

Gronk

Staff member
Excellent work by Bentley ! Back the coach. We have the best recruitment manager in the business in Nolan. Kearney knows what he is doing. I have the upmost faith that we will emerge from this as one of the marquee teams in the comp in the next year or two. Matthew johns is right when he said that the senior players at parra are made of Teflon. Isn't it great to get a coach that is willing to promote for the future ? Kids like Blair and sio be the mainstays in our team for years to come. Sit back and trust Nolan and Kearney.

The only reason I am not :crazy: about our situation is because Kearney has Nolan and Arthur to hold his hand. I have great faith in the trio as a think tank, but not all that much with Kearney solo.

oldmancraigy

Coach
If Hindmarsh wants to stay next year and Kearney wants to move him on then f**k that. They should listen to Hindmarsh first.

I'd like to know who Johns was referring to with his teflon comment. We don't have that many senior players left at the club now. He surely can't be referring to McGuire and Tonga they only just came here. If he thinks the problem at Parramatta is Hindmarsh, Burt, Moi Moi and Smith then he's an idiot.

Honestly I think Kearney deserves three years at least. But if he misses the eight this year then his contract shouldn't be extended straight away.

really?

Burt and B Smith are big time "losers". That is, they are at their most dangerous when the rest of the team is excelling. But they are not the kind of guys who get you performing at a high level.

Hindmarsh is what he is now. A toiler in the middle who never stops trying. If the game was in the balance with one set of six remaining, and our scrum feed, I'd probably sub him off for a 'hard runner'.

Moi Moi seems to come to camp out of shape every year. Takes 5-10 weeks to 'warm up'.

As a quartet, they all seem to have adopted Cayless' "easy does it" methodology - namely, don't start the season too hard, but finish it well.
Problem is that doesn't sit well with Kearney, he wants us fast out of the gate and performing week in week out, even early on.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Doesn't it take 3 years to build a club back up according to Gus.

It all depends on how long it has taken the club he's talking about to build back up :p

ie, Manly under Des, a few years after they'd rebuilt Gus the Guru states it takes 18 months to rebuild.

Hindsight is clearly on Gus' side when he talks about this stuff!!

I'm prepared to give him time.

We have vsed two teams that most people expect to be at least in the top 5 and were in both games until 60-70th minute, and out of the 160 minutes we have played so far 145 of those have been without our best player.

Looking at the teams everyone else has played we have definitely had one of the hardest starts. Sure we have lost the first two but it's not like we were versing the Titans and Sharks.

We have vsed two teams that most people expect to be at least in the top 5 and were in both games until 60-70th minute, and out of the 160 minutes we have played so far 145 of those have been without our best player.

Looking at the teams everyone else has played we have definitely had one of the hardest starts. Sure we have lost the first two but it's not like we were versing the Titans and Sharks.

That was our problem last year, we were in the game or leading until the 65th minute then we collapsed. Games like the Cowboys away were we were up by 12 points at the 65th minute and went down by 18 points. The last home game of the year against the Roosters, we were up by 2 converted tries at the 65th minute, in the 66th they scored and eventually won the game.

We need to be in games for the entire 80, if we are going to win them.

Am I alone in hating this phrase?

Latest posts