What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Dogs big guns set to walk …(Eels related)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
People don't think O'Meley isn't worth $400,000 at 27,28 & 29? fmd, he's a SOO prop, Australian prop, and probably the most intimidating frontrower in the world.

Stop being tight asses, how many of these calibre props wouldn't come at a similar price? ffs Mason would attract almost $500,000 on the market, Asotasi deal was not far of that.

You could make an hour long highlights film of O'Meley running over the top of Vella and Parramatta alone, not to mention an other hour him smashing the crap out of our fowards.

scenario, what would you like?

a) keep Wagon & Robinson and don't worry about O'Meley
b) Buy O'Meley and turf wags and robbo
c) turf all of them and hope for the best something comes avaliable on the open market

I think any decent judge could see that option b is by far and away the best alternative.

Option B is out of the question considering Chad's contract ends at the end of 2008 and it's a contraact that Hages himself negotiated with Chad. ;-) ...

I'd like to ask a question, what if Souths came up with the same money deal for 5 years...would you match it????

strider

Post Whore
i'm not saying o'meley is bad - he's very very good ..... but what i do feel is that his rise to prominance has come as a part of one of the best forward packs in the league - he's always had very big names around him doing their share of the workload - price, mason, asotasi, ryan, etc ..... in games where they've had high injury tolls o'meley has often been just like any of our props struggling to do it by himself (i'm not saying that makes him bad, but brings him back to the field a bit)

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
i'm not saying o'meley is bad - he's very very good ..... but what i do feel is that his rise to prominance has come as a part of one of the best forward packs in the league - he's always had very big names around him doing their share of the workload - price, mason, asotasi, ryan, etc ..... in games where they've had high injury tolls o'meley has often been just like any of our props struggling to do it by himself (i'm not saying that makes him bad, but brings him back to the field a bit)

interesting you say that, MOM and another high profile firstgrader played premier league against Parra when the Dogs had their bye and I'm pretty sure we racked up 50 and he was rather ineffective in many ways on that day from memory he hardly rolled his sleeves up.

Actually, the other bloke was Reni Matua and Brent Sherwin was also chosen but pulled out before the match.

caylo

Bench
Pazza said:
we could aford him without dumping anyone. i'd love to keep robbo, such a tough physical defender. ideal for me would be,

8.cayless
9.Riddell
10.o'merley
11.hindmarsh
12.hindmarsh
13.robinson

14.marsh
15.mateo
16.tsoulos
17.moi moi

well isn't Ian only contracted for a year, and he is keen on goin back to the farm, also Im keen on one of the young guys coming through like Fa'aoso, Taia, or Weller. Id also like to see Mateo come up into lock by next year, i hate the defencive backrow, we need wide running backrow, who cna break the line. if we did get MOM id have more like

Cayless
Riddell
OMealy
Hindy
Fa'aoso
Mateo

Marsh
Taia/Weller
Tsulous
Moimoi

Cordoba
Cannings

Fa'aoso is also only on a one year contract.

Now I wonder why Cannings is so under rated. I can understand Ron , not having seen Cannings at his Best as it only last 30 minutes, but I though COACH STERLING watched every game. All I can say is that if he Stays fit there will be some dirty trousers and Jerseys with Stud Marks on them from where Aza has run over the Opposition.

I just think he is due a good run, and when that happens I think he will increase in everyones estimations.

Sure O'Mealy would be a Great Buy, but I wonder if he is what we will need at the end of this year.

caylo

Bench
Fa'aoso may have a one year deal, but he is at the beginning of his career, while ian is at the end. If he played on after this year it would surprise me. Also, you would not offer OMealy a contract because you want to see how cannings will go, Cannings has potential, and if his good enough will get a spot no matter who is playing. There are spots for him in the backrow and prop, and off the bench. Let the apprentence do his time.

caylo said:
Fa'aoso may have a one year deal, but he is at the beginning of his career, while ian is at the end. If he played on after this year it would surprise me. Also, you would not offer OMealy a contract because you want to see how cannings will go, Cannings has potential, and if his good enough will get a spot no matter who is playing. There are spots for him in the backrow and prop, and off the bench. Let the apprentence do his time.

I am saying don't sign him now, I don't mind us throwing our hat in the right, but at least lets wait to see how things shape up through the trials before we say that we don't have someone who can do the job, a hell of a lot cheaper at the club this year.

Utey

Coach
His young and besides most props begin to peak in the middle twenties. I think all that aggression and agro could be really good up front.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Just some questions if anyone can answer?

Does anyone know how long Cannings and Wagon are signed for. IMO those two along with Fa'oso are under the most pressure this year. With I Hindy also saying he will retire at the end of the year, we should have some spare money if needed

Also when do Cayless and Hindmarsh eligible for the 10 year discount. Can both players get the discount and how much does it count for?

Also is the salary cap going up for next year and by how much?

All thes factors should enable us to have the money to sign O'Meley if we wish without mass cullings.

I am all for the idea of signing Shrek. Will add exactly what we need to our forward pack. I also believe he is worth 400k if what he is asking with the lack of quality props in the market and his age

yy_cheng

Coach
MarkInTheStands said:
I am saying don't sign him now, I don't mind us throwing our hat in the right, but at least lets wait to see how things shape up through the trials before we say that we don't have someone who can do the job, a hell of a lot cheaper at the club this year.

The problem with that is that someone else will get him then.

You just have to cut your losses. If we get MOM, then Azza would be offerred a reduced contract. If Azza has a stellar year, then we might have to offload others but MOM does have a better track record than Azza even though he will cost alot more.

yy_cheng said:
The problem with that is that someone else will get him then.

You just have to cut your losses. If we get MOM, then Azza would be offerred a reduced contract. If Azza has a stellar year, then we might have to offload others but MOM does have a better track record than Azza even though he will cost alot more.

My Problem with that is we Get Shrek and he is Injured for 3 or 4 years, vs we Let Azza go who has been injured for a few years, and he comes good elsewhere.

But I guess this highlights why having a June 30th Deadline is a good Idea. This talk would not have even hit the papers because it would be against that Rule.

The Colonel

Immortal
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Just some questions if anyone can answer?

Does anyone know how long Cannings and Wagon are signed for. IMO those two along with Fa'oso are under the most pressure this year. With I Hindy also saying he will retire at the end of the year, we should have some spare money if needed

Wagon signed a new two year deal for 06 and 07 at the end of 05. Cannings signed a one year deal for this season.

Also when do Cayless and Hindmarsh eligible for the 10 year discount. Can both players get the discount and how much does it count for?

. The Long Serving Player or Veterans' Allowance - This allowance takes effect for the 2003 season onwards. The allowance provides an exemption of up to $100,000 for each Club if they have a player or players that have been at their Club for ten years since they first played grade for their Club.

http://www.nrl.com/SalaryCap/tabid/272/Default.aspx

Also is the salary cap going up for next year and by how much?

Not sure if it goes up next year but it is just shy of $4 million this season.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:

Now I wonder why Cannings is so under rated. I can understand Ron , not having seen Cannings at his Best as it only last 30 minutes, but I though COACH STERLING watched every game. All I can say is that if he Stays fit there will be some dirty trousers and Jerseys with Stud Marks on them from where Aza has run over the Opposition.

I just think he is due a good run, and when that happens I think he will increase in everyones estimations.

Sure O'Mealy would be a Great Buy, but I wonder if he is what we will need at the end of this year.

Cannings has a very intimidating presence about him.

If Cannings plays 26 matches next year then look out.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
COACH STERLING said:
Cannings has a very intimidating presence about him.

If Cannings plays 26 matches next year then look out.

Unfortunately, that is a very big IF.

Dont get me wrong im a huge fan of cannings when we bought him, but so far he just hasnt done enough..or anything really :oops:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
MarkInTheStands said:

I agree with Cannings, injuries have crippled him, not form. When he has been healthy eg begining of 2005 he was our most dynamic forward, and i couldn't understand why Brian dropped him? he wasn't playing terrible or anything?

I think we should sign O'meley and then let everything else work it's self out.

He's a premier frontrower, but i'd offer him a $400,000 for 3 years with an option, by that time he'll be just turning 30.

His influence would be enourmous

if retain all the 07 players that should be out team

1.Luke Burt
2.Jarryd Hayne
3.Timana Tahu
4.Ben Smith
5.Eric Grothe
6.Brett Finch
7.Tim Smith
8.Nathan Cayless
9.Mark Riddell
10.Mark O'Meley