What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Eels' Perenara prepares for a test against Johns

Hurriflatch

Referee
Eels' Perenara prepares for a test against Johns
By Brad Walter
April 7, 2006

PARRAMATTA rookie Marcus Perenara has been nominated by New Zealand coach Brian McClennan as a possible bolter to play opposite Andrew Johns as the Kiwis' halfback in the Anzac Test.

With Stacey Jones out with a broken arm and Lance Hohaia stranded in New Zealand's domestic competition after being axed from the Warriors' line-up, McClennan has few options at No.7 and will closely monitor the form of Perenara before the May 5 Test at Suncorp Stadium.

A former Junior Kiwis representative recommended to the Eels by former Warriors and New Zealand coach Daniel Anderson, Perenara will make his NRL debut from the interchange bench in Sunday's match against Penrith after asking during the off-season to switch to hooker because of Tim Smith's hold on Parramatta's No.7 jersey.

But with PJ Marsh out injured, the 20-year-old brother of former Kiwis international Henry Perenara is also expected to spend some time at five-eighth. McClennan revealed he had made some inquiries at Parramatta about his prospects.

"We don't have a lot of halfbacks, we just don't," McClennan said. "We could look at Lance as a No.9 and a back up No.7, but I think you've got to be playing NRL or Super League to play in a Test.

"I know Marcus and I know the Perenara family very well. He is a good young kid so it's good to see that he's been thriving under the guidance of Brian Smith and what is a very successful development program at Parramatta.

"If he can play four or five NRL games and play well, he is a chance, a very good chance. I just think it is too great a step from anywhere else. We've had bolters in the Kiwi side before and I wouldn't rule out that happening again."

Among other options being considered are shifting Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall to halfback or flying out London's Thomas Leuluai to play on limited rest (the Harlequins play on the Saturday before the Test).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/e...t-against-johns/2006/04/06/1143916655303.html

INteresting if it does happen

but TBH to write something like this 2 days before his debut is pretty poor.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
A former Junior Kiwis representative recommended to the Eels by former Warriors and New Zealand coach Daniel Anderson

That's pretty interesting, I guess he wanted to have the last laugh after they got rid of him. "Have a look at this kid Fitzy, he's the one they are hoping will take over from Stacey Jones.. and he's off contract" :lol:.

Too soon for test footy IMO, but if they're desperate enough to bring Leuluai or Robbie Paul over then he's probably a good option. Benji at half and Webb at five-eighth is the way they should go. If this is enough to get Marcus fired up to play well then I'm all for it, and if he does show form he might finally get rid of Morris from the #6. I can only hope..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
INteresting if it does happen

but TBH to write something like this 2 days before his debut is pretty poor.

I look at it as great timing..it's a very positive story and I know if Marcus gets a sniff of a rep jumper he'll be playing like it's his last game of rugby league.

eelz47

Coach
he was suppose to play in the reserve test in sydney last year but couldnt

like eela said, he will be jumping out his skin more

The Colonel

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
That's pretty interesting, I guess he wanted to have the last laugh after they got rid of him. "Have a look at this kid Fitzy, he's the one they are hoping will take over from Stacey Jones.. and he's off contract" :lol:.

Actually I think he may have been released...... ;-)

bartman

Immortal
Wasn't he the number two NZ halfback option behind Stacey at one stage? For the Anzac test it's worth playing Marcus for experience alone, rather than get someone to fly halfway around the world and back... jet lag is a mongrel of a thing!

Tyler Durden

Juniors
what's the deal with the Perenara boys with rep footy ?
watched Samoa v Tonga last year and the Perenara boys were running around for one of the teams

The Colonel

Immortal
Tyler Durden said:
what's the deal with the Perenara boys with rep footy ?
watched Samoa v Tonga last year and the Perenara boys were running around for one of the teams

Their dad is Maori, Mum is from Samoa. Like any of the emerging nations sides they will try and chase the calibre of Henry and Marcus to increase the publicity. They still remain eligible for NZ though. Much like Tuqiri played for Fiji, Ricketson for Ireland and Dymock for Tonga all before they played for Australia.

Skinner

Coach
The Colonel said:
The mind boggles over that decision...... :lol:

Yeah...well, it was a Daniel decision, and Daniel never, ever, explained
any decision to anyone. He would drop guys and not tell them why :?

Just beware if he ever makes his way back to Parra - he's a strange one.

Cheers

Stagger eel

Staff member
Skinner said:
Yeah...well, it was a Daniel decision, and Daniel never, ever, explained
any decision to anyone. He would drop guys and not tell them why :?

Just beware if he ever makes his way back to Parra - he's a strange one.

Cheers

there's a fare chance he may of developed those habits here ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Just on the wrap that Marcus got form the nz coach, the same bloke did come out about a week ago and declared that Canterbury premier league five-eight was in line for selection, so I don't know whether he genuinely means it or just firing up the young kiwi players in the NRL.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Their dad is Maori, Mum is from Samoa.

got it - all clear now
just though it might be like the rugby union, where the samoans and the tongans take great pleasure in smashing the all blacks and view them as the big bastard enemy.

coca-cola

Juniors
marcus is going to prepare for the test by making a booking at the salon a fortnight prior so his hair is at perfect length for game day.

Iafeta

Referee
eelavation said:
Just on the wrap that Marcus got form the nz coach, the same bloke did come out about a week ago and declared that Canterbury premier league five-eight was in line for selection, so I don't know whether he genuinely means it or just firing up the young kiwi players in the NRL.

As in Billy Ngawini? From what I saw from the Australian Presidents XIII v New Zealand A game, Billy Ngawini is one of the most talented young players I've ever seen.

As far as Marcus Perenara goes, it'll be interesting to see how he goes - a lot of good people over in Auckland have never really understood how Thomas Leuluai was preferred to him and how he never got a gig in the Warriors. The write ups on Marcus in Bartercard were quite outstanding.

Latest posts