What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snoop Dogg Souths

thug jimmy

Juniors
10.jpg

thug jimmy

Juniors
loudstrat, your point about record sales is irrelevant.hip/hop and rap's heart and soul is in the ghetto's where people had no money. just because they don't make the 'official' charts don't mean squat. the music is alot more meaningful, clever and deep than alot of the bands on your list.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
loudstrat, your point about record sales is irrelevant.hip/hop and rap's heart and soul is in the ghetto's where people had no money. just because they don't make the 'official' charts don't mean squat. the music is alot more meaningful, clever and deep than alot of the bands on your list.

Im from South Auckland, rap music was and has always been around. It relates to what we went thru growing up, being sold drugs on our way to school, some of our older brothers and cousins were some of the first Crip and Blood gangs in Auckland.

I gave rock a go back when i first heard 'Back in Black' by AC/DC. Now i have a few of their records as well as Led Zeppelins.

The Dodger

First Grade
a) I like Zepplin but the Led Zepplin fans evidenced in this thread are either ignorant sad-sacks or just old fashioned stupid. How high can you really get on your horse about sampling when everyone and their pre-pubescent niece knows that Jimmy Page plagiarized every memorable riff and Robert Plant stole their most quotable lyrics from Blues and R&B records? Oh wait - you are all pasty suburbanites who never had to stones to listen to black music until it was appropriated and its history was white-washed over. Some of you crazy old diamonds need to like contemporize, man.

b) Whichever poster wrote 'if Snoop Dog was a big megastar like Sinatra...why did he sell drugs?': you do realize that Sinatra was a mobster don't you? Don't answer, it was rhetorical. It's mighty rich of a bloke sitting at his computer in Australia to really be judging the socio-economic circumstances that led a kid on the other side of the world to get involved with street crime.

c) There is a difference between being an entertainer and an artist. I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, would consider Snoop Dogg an artist.

d) Snoop Dogg contribution to music as a solo performer begins and ends at Doggystyle. Beyond that he is simply a pop cultural icon of the 90's/00's and a hero to potheads everywhere. Jimmy Page will always be a far more important figure in the lexicon of popular music.

f) Anyone who thinks 2pac's All Eyez (sic) On Me one of the great albums needs to have their head examined. It is a terrible record held together by two good singles and his much mythologized death. Moreover, this album is soley responsible for every cringe worthy 'emcee' we've had to endure since its release. Go listen to Illmatic.

good post and i agree with most of your comments but you cant say "all eyez on me" album was terrible.

amitionz az a ridah
all about u
how do you want it
2 of amerikas most wanted
only god can judge me now
california love
i aint mad at cha
cant c me
shorty wanna be a thug
wonder why they call you bitch
when we ride
picture me rollin
rather be a gentleman
all eyez on me
heaven aint to hard to find

these are all great songs. not to mention it only took him a week or two to make. im sure nas took more than that to make illmatic.
by the way, ilmatic is a great album, "life's a bitch" is a good song.

oz hip hop> american hip hop

(flame on)
bliss n esso are good (if you consider one aussie and one yank and aussie group)
hilltop hoods were good but have gone down hill a bit

Sloop Wogg,

you lost me at this point.
are you trying to say that snoop dogg is a Mediterranean Descendant or that only Mediterranean Descendants listen to him?
lol, you cant even be racist properly.

Someone has got to sig Loudstrats post on the previous page.

The only two decent rap groups, imo: Run DMC and Public Enemy. And is it any coincidence that both these groups both collaborated with and produced some brilliant songs with a great rock band? (Aerosmith and Anthrax respectively).

your forgetting krs one, ghetto boys and 2 live crew for starters, theres plenty more too.

Not only that, but most of the artists on Loudstrat's (such a proud rock fan name) list had a 20-30 year head start on any rapper. Not to mention the fact that record sales for all artists have dropped considerably in the last 10 years due to the internet and mp3 downloads.

And I just want to reiterate that All Eyez On Me is indeed a masterpiece. It's Uma Thurman's fav album of all time FFS. (random fact)...but the Makaveli album was even better.

uma thurman loves all eyez on me? ... pity 'pac himself thought it was sh*t ...

good post and i agree with most of your comments but you cant say "all eyez on me" album was terrible.

amitionz az a ridah
all about u
how do you want it
2 of amerikas most wanted
only god can judge me now
california love
i aint mad at cha
cant c me
shorty wanna be a thug
wonder why they call you bitch
when we ride
picture me rollin
rather be a gentleman
all eyez on me
heaven aint to hard to find

the second disc of all eyez on me is garbage besides picture me rollin ... all eyez on me would be classic if it was the first disc only but since the second disc is full of wack garbage it is at best a 6/10 ...me against the world is pac's best drop FACT ... no argument can made

wu-tang clan is the best group ever with more classics than you can poke your dick at

only built 4 cuban linx is the masterpiece hip hop record of all time UNDISPUTED ... it is the muhammad ali of hip hop records

snoop dogg hasn't made sh*t good since doggfather

"sean price, the brokest rapper you know"

lil wayne fans need to D-I-E

Loudstrat

Coach
loudstrat is a tool.... regarding music and the BS that comes out of his mouth about footy too

Wows. Such a well thought out post. Love the arguments that back it up. I guess facts are irrefutable

Not only that, but most of the artists on Loudstrat's (such a proud rock fan name) list had a 20-30 year head start on any rapper. Not to mention the fact that record sales for all artists have dropped considerably in the last 10 years due to the internet and mp3 downloads.

Fair point. The Wikipedia article mentions this, but counters that since the mid 1980's the music market has grown phenominally due to such phenomena as the fall of the Iron Curtain and Soviet Russia, and the information technology revolution. In this time, markets such as Russia and Brazil have come online, and westernisation of countries like China and India have helped also.

At the time of your hero's first two albums, and a while after, downloaded music wasn't the phenomenon it is today.

Also, of that list, only Metallica and Linkin Park remained viable, working entities by 2000. And not for long after, either.

Face it, Digital. I have disproved your theory. How about try and PROVING it first?

And if you want classic albums, hows this for a six pack?

Judas Priest - Bristish Steel
Whitesnake - 1987
Dio - Holy Diver
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Rush - Moving Pictures
Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force

Pick the song, forummers!

The night is black
Without a moon
The air is thick and still
The vigilantes gather on
The lonely torch lit hill

Features distorted in the flickering light
The faces are twisted and grotesque
Silent and stern in the sweltering night
The mob moves like demons possessed
Quiet in conscience, calm in their right
Confident their ways are best

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill

They say there are strangers who threaten us
In our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness too dangerous
In our theaters and bookstore shelves
That those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves

Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand...

The Dodger

First Grade
uma thurman loves all eyez on me? ... pity 'pac himself thought it was sh*t ...

he did make the album due to being locked into a contract with suge's death row records (i remeber he was contracted to another three more albums before he could leave) so i can understand that (makes you wonder who really killed him doesnt it?).

the second disc of all eyez on me is garbage besides picture me rollin ... all eyez on me would be classic if it was the first disc only but since the second disc is full of wack garbage it is at best a 6/10 ...me against the world is pac's best drop FACT ... no argument can made

fair enough, but i personally like most songs from that album. all eyez on me is a great song.
wu-tang clan is the best group ever with more classics than you can poke your dick at

only built 4 cuban linx is the masterpiece hip hop record of all time UNDISPUTED ... it is the muhammad ali of hip hop records
your telling me that 36 chambers isnt a better album?
36 chambers album would have to be in any rap fans cd cabinet.

the wu tang clan have let me down big time.
since 36 chambers, they would probably have only made a handful of songs i would listen to.

i personally think method man is way above all of them.
his dark style of music is just pure genius.

ol dirty was a mad rapper, his first album was the shiit (return to the 36 chambers), too bad the drugs came back to bite him in the ass in the end.
gza's first solo album (liquid swords) was also the shiit
rza's first solo album (bobby digital) wasnt too bad.
ugod, inspectah deck, raekwon and ghostface's albums never did anything for me.

cappadonna and all the other additions they tried to add to the family are shiit too.

the problem with the wu, is because they made such a great album the first time, none of the rest can ever match it.
they have tried to keep it the same (go the analog), but couldnt perfect it like their first.
snoop dogg hasn't made sh*t good since doggfather
very true although doggystyle is what made him.

he farked up big time going to no limit records

lil wayne fans need to D-I-E

i hear ya there.

one thing i have to say is all those who make that "dutty" south sh*t are farkn killing rap.

dogz08

First Grade
I still love all that old hip-hip and rap.. i hate all this souja boy sh*t now, wish someone would shoot him

I still love all that old hip-hip and rap.. i hate all this souja boy sh*t now, wish someone would shoot him

Let's all chip in for the bounty then. Cos I hate that lil f*cka too.

Loudstrat, you haven't proved anything. Snoop Dogg is a lot more famous than Jimmy Page. That was the original point, and calling him as many immature names as possible doesn't change the fact.

Wu-Tang Clan are the 2nd greatest hip hop group of all time behind the incomparable Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. Bone made 3 instant classics together as a group. (Creepin on ah come up, E.1999-Eternal & The Art Of War). Wu-Tang's first album was a classic, and Wu-Tang Forever to me is a classic too. Wu definitely made the better solo albums, but as a group Bone was and still is the best. Even today in 2008, they are easily the best group in the world. Especially now that they're back to a 5 man unit.

Raekwon's Cuban Linx is definitely the best Wu related album. I got both the original and the remastered version. Incredible album. 36 Chambers would be second, Gza's Liquid Swords 3rd, and Wu-Tang forever 4th. Ghostface & ODB's first 2 solo albums are awesome too. Method Man to me has never made a classic solo. His first album would of been better if not for a flood in Rza's basement, which destroyed a lot of the early Tical recordings.

I still download and listen to albums from the 90's I haven't heard before, and pretend I'm in the golden era of hip hop.

Suge definitely had 2Pac killed. It was a trained hitman who killed him. Suge had Pac seated next to him to make it look like he wasn't in on it. The hitman was just that accurate a shooter. Suge claims he caught a slug in the head that night, but hospital records show it was a piece of glass. Suge also ordered the Biggie hit from prison. The LAPD know exactly who did it, but won't do anything about it because it would uncover a huge scandal in the LAPD. Suge had many cops on his payroll. Snoop Dogg knows all this and more, and it's why Suge want's him dead too. Snoop might of made a mistake by signing with No Limit, but it's exactly what he needed at the time. Deathrow was a sinking ship and Snoop obviously feared for his life. P went to Suge in jail with a chequebook and paid him off. Suge later goons down to New Orleans to attack Snoop, and Master P caught wind of it and had them assaulted and sent back to LA. No Limit had Snoops back to the fullest.

Latest posts